Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure batteries in the winter

philcod

philcod

I've read all the above about liesure batteries with interest and some concern that our batteries might need some charging as the van doesn't get used a lot during the winter. I have a motorbike which also suffers from the same issues - batteries lasting only 2 or 3 years! So I checked ours on the central control panel which says they are at 100% charge. So do I need to do anything?
Phil

SimplyDubs

SimplyDubs

VW and loving it...
Vehicle
N/A
philcod said:
I've read all the above about liesure batteries with interest and some concern that our batteries might need some charging as the van doesn't get used a lot during the winter. I have a motorbike which also suffers from the same issues - batteries lasting only 2 or 3 years! So I checked ours on the central control panel which says they are at 100% charge. So do I need to do anything?
Phil

They always show 100% charge after a short drive but in effect are not actually fully charged... for leisure batteries this take a few hours to get to this stage and will not get there from the alternator.

suspect if you put any drain on them they may drop from 100% quite quickly.

Suggest putting on hook up for a period... in fact the manual says as much.

Always worth doing... ours is pretty much permanently on hook up when parked up.

Rgds
Mark

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Staff member
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
I agree with mark the control panel can be quite misleading as it can drop down very quickly
And I think a hook up charge puts far more into the battery than just relying on the alternator
I put my van on charge about once a month and leave it plugged in for a couple of days :thumb

Hannick

Hannick

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Good Morning.

We have just bought a 2010 facelift California SE. I've been following this thread and have left the Cali plugged into the mains hook up for the last four days as I don't think the previous owners kept the batteries charging when the van was unused.

I used a CTEK intelligent charger on our previous van leisure battery (a Mazda Bongo).

Does anyone know how intelligent the battery charger built in to the Cali is?

If I was to plug in the CTEK charger presumably I would not want the van connected to mains hookup at the same time as then there would be two chargers charging the batteries at the same time?

Am I better using the CTEK charger when I am doing a four day charge or does it not make any difference?

A poster above mentions using the recondition setting on his CTEK charger occasionally. I assume the VW fitted charger cannot do this and I would be interested if it is felt this setting is necessary occasionally.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to make a mistake as these batteries are expensive!

I have one of these

http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-mxs5.0.php

Many thanks

We're off to St Ives today on our first trip - ice cold!

B

brother10

VIP Member
Hi Battery Lovers,
Someone a million years ago told me that the `float charge` at the end of a charging cycle was the most important event of the charging process. Knowing no better, I simply left charging (present van especially) a goodly amount of time (at least 12 hours) and have had no problems.

For techno wizards the link might help descibe what I cannot but confuse none techies. Anyway it is there to read and make of it what you will. :shocked

Roll on the warmer weather and I am seriously looking forward to COTF when I can put faces to names.

http://www.discover-energy.com/gel-battery-charging-0

Bob

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hannick I dont think the builtin leisure battery charger is as 'intelligent' as the ctek is. I would suggest using the ctek to it's fullest capability but either use it or hoohkup cable. Dont think they would play well together. There are a couple of members with ctek, maybe they will post.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

M

Manus

Hi all and thanks for all the really helpful information. I wondered how you connect the CTEC to the cali, can you use the cigarette lighter adaptor? The battery in the back looks easy but the one under the passenger seat looks a bit trickier. My heat goes off every time the voltage drops below 12v. It was an intermittent problem which has got a lot more frequent - just discovering this pattern now after a few cold nights! The recondition setting sounds exactly what I need. -manus