Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping in ski resort campsites : advice please

R

Racingt

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi everyone,
I'm planning to go camping in Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland, at a campsite I've used in the summer before.
Good facilities, open 365 days a year.
How does camping in the Cali below zero work?
Can I use the roof bed, or will the potential weight of snow damage the roof, and will the canvas freeze and rip when taking it down?
Will the fresh water tank freeze up? Will waste water tank freeze up? I guess the awning is a poor idea too.
Snow chains or winter tyres?
I know this sounds a lot of negatives, but I'm quite excited to make the trip.
All advice gratefully received!
Thanks!

Phil

Hi everyone,
I'm planning to go camping in Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland, at a campsite I've used in the summer before.
Good facilities, open 365 days a year.
How does camping in the Cali below zero work?
Can I use the roof bed, or will the potential weight of snow damage the roof, and will the canvas freeze and rip when taking it down?
Will the fresh water tank freeze up? Will waste water tank freeze up? I guess the awning is a poor idea too.
Snow chains or winter tyres?
I know this sounds a lot of negatives, but I'm quite excited to make the trip.
All advice gratefully received!
Thanks!

Phil
Hi Phil, I skied Lauterbrunnen many years ago, certainly a beautiful area dominated by the Eiger.

I have used my Cali for skiing and it is possible to use the roof bed, but I would suggest that you use a roof topper to add some more insulation and also keep the canvas dry.

It would also be useful if your campsite has hookup then you can use an oil filled rad or similar ( a fan heater dries out the air too much and you will get a sore throat....ask me how I know this .....). You could of course just use the Cali heating.
The roof canvas won't freeze up because of the heating and snow will not produce enough weight to damage the roof (when elevated it will slide off) except in really extreme conditions.

The fresh water tanks shouldn't freeze up as they are built inside the vehicle.

I have winter tyres and they are usually good enough ( the locals are used to snow and have the right equipment to keep the roads clear). If you get unlucky, snow chains are readily available from garages and hypermarkets.

It would be useful if your campsite has ski and boot lockers and a drying room as well as heated shower and toilet blocks else that might take the shine off the holiday.

Have fun
Gavin

Assuming you've considered the basics http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/31617-how-to-prepare-your-motorhome-for-ski-holidays

then for the Cali:
- internal or external roof insulation
- external windscreen / front window insulation
- snow tyres AND chains
- Vaseline on the door seals / boot seals, light oil in the door locks
- lift wiper blades
- dump fresh water, bottled in the van (you need a lot as you lose more exercising in dry climates)
- always stay at a resort with a public pool / sauna. Have a bag packed with warm dry clothes ready for when you return. That way you can shower and change at the end of the day when all the others are sitting in the bar.
- boots and gloves: hang them in the van (with the internal heater on) during sauna time and until after dinner. Those few hours will be enough for them to dry out.
- buy short ski passes and chase the snow. This is one of the big benefits of a Campervan. If the snow sucks, be prepared to move to where it doesn't.

Take a snow shovel.
If you're on a site there'll be hookup and your spot will be right by the entrance - most pitches will be closed for winter.

I much prefer to wild camp in the middle of resort towns. Closer to restaurants, bars etc.

Snow tires should be enough, in 15 years I've only every used snow chains twice, and I only needed those for 10 minutes each time!
Roads tend to get cleared very quickly after snow, but they don't normally clear them while it's still snowing unless it's a big storm.

Brilliant advice!
First off, I didn't even realise a roof topper existed (only owned the van 10 months). Solves a number of problems. Can anyone recommend a make?
Second, oil filled radiator makes perfect sense, I was wondering how to keep the Cali heater going when away from the vehicle.
I've got winter tyres on my Golf, they transform the vehicle in rain, and on greasy roads. So I'll probably get a set for the Cali. Maybe on steel wheels.
Planning to stay at a site with full facilities that we have used twice before, good showers & restaurant, so great idea on the prepacked bags Fred, and thanks for Vaseline/ light oil/ wiper lifting comments.
Water in the van versus bottled? Not sure, guess the way to test is bottled then see if it freezes. It would be a pain to repair the water system.
Finally, my wife wants to do this in 2017 when we can stay for longer than a week. I want to go in March this year!! How can I persuade her??

just a little jealous would love to do this...will one day. I've been looking at topper options as will be using mine all year round as they also keep cooler in summer. I've 90% decided on Kyham one as appear to be easy to fit and unlikely to flap in wind etc. Rainbow screens who make 'eye screens' also do matching toppers which look fun but only one window up top :( and appear to little more fiddly to fit.

on how to convince your other half.....make it as stress free and relaxing for her then its a no brainer? make sure a spa near by? or play to her likes whatever they are and place yourself on the doorstep of them. good luck with it all and enjoy the trip this year or next.

Brilliant advice!
First off, I didn't even realise a roof topper existed (only owned the van 10 months). Solves a number of problems. Can anyone recommend a make? Try Comfortz - if you join this forum as a member ÂŁ10 a year, you will save more than that with your first order!
Second, oil filled radiator makes perfect sense, I was wondering how to keep the Cali heater going when away from the vehicle.
I've got winter tyres on my Golf, they transform the vehicle in rain, and on greasy roads. So I'll probably get a set for the Cali. Maybe on steel wheels. I think Mike has a set of these with tyres for a good price (ÂŁ150 from recollection) - look through the adverts.
Planning to stay at a site with full facilities that we have used twice before, good showers & restaurant, so great idea on the prepacked bags Fred, and thanks for Vaseline/ light oil/ wiper lifting comments.
Water in the van versus bottled? Not sure, guess the way to test is bottled then see if it freezes. It would be a pain to repair the water system.
Finally, my wife wants to do this in 2017 when we can stay for longer than a week. I want to go in March this year!! How can I persuade her?? Now, I can't help with that!!

Anyone done this four up? I could imagine coping if it was just me and the wife but would be interested how others have managed for a week with four
Cheers

You'll get away with it IF:
- you're at a site with a communal space / facilities like a boot drying room
- you eat out
- your camping fellows are relaxed and easy going
- no one snores

Ideally you'll have been out in the van together in the summer or something. It gets tricky if people don't know what to expect and then are disappointed / frustrated

I'm about to buy insulation for use in summer as well as winter/alps/Scandinavia.
Is external front screen insulation as effective as internal window insulation?
Because there's obviously theoretical advantages and disadvantages.
advantages of external I can think of:
- easier mounting
- frost free windscreen
- one screen for three windows
but disadvantages:
- the metal of the car is a "cold bridge" that will transfer heat or cold behind the screen to the edge of the glass
- having to go outside to mount/unmount/peek through it
This is just theoretical of course, what would you recommended ?
Also, internal condensation and packing size are very important for me.

Is external front screen insulation as effective as internal window insulation?
The external silver screen type insulation is far more effective than the internal ones. When we fitted our Cali for winter camping we sold the internal and bought the external, and have never been sorry.
The only disadvantage is that you have to go out to get it off, in snow, cold or rain... :cool:

Do you still use internal insulation for the other windows (sides and rear)? or nothing at all.
Also, any idea about condensation? I guess insulation helps with that?

Good ventilation and turn the heater up if needed. :thumb