Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali's for Sale?

S

sdes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I know this isn't the website of a literary society, but having a headline category that would read "Cali is for Sale" as opposed to the plural "Calis for Sale" is a bit obvious. I also know I'm being a pedant, and I spotted it a while back and assumed it would be corrected, but it hasn't, so, is there any chance we could remove that misplaced apostrophe sometime soon?

Thanks

Stephen

Calis for Sale.png

Last edited:
Are you not getting out much Stephen?

I think we are using the apostrophe for the contraction of California(s) to Cali’(s).

Last edited:
Hmnn, no, I don't get out anywhere near as much as I should. I blame Covid-19. (By the way, there should be a comma in front of Stephen in your question.)
A contraction is almost always where two words have become one (do not becomes don't for example, and the apostrophe indicates the location of the letters removed, it can sometimes even be three words and two apostrophes, so, she would have becomes she'd've. One notable exception is "of the clock" becoming o'clock where the apostrophe replaces the f and the the.
An apostrophe is not where a word has been truncated, there you normally replace the missing letters with a full stop, so etcetera becomes etc., whilst for example if measuring electric current, Amperes becomes Amps not Amp's just as Californias shouldn't become Cali's.
Also, you can't just invent your own contractions, there's a list of them, please, hands face space, obey the rules!
I'm going out for a walk. ;-)

Last edited:
Ha, no, good point! That's a typo or just plain old bad spelling, take your pick, but I wasn't putting it as a headline category of a website. Now Orl Korrected.

I suppose whilst I'm about it, I should also ask in the interest of consistency, if "Cali's For Sale" is all capitalised, why isn't "What's new" "What's New"? Stop!

Ha, no, good point! That's a typo or just plain old bad spelling, take your pick, but I wasn't putting it as a headline category of a website. Now Orl Korrected.

I suppose whilst I'm about it, I should also ask in the interest of consistency, if "Cali's For Sale" is all capitalised, why isn't "What's new" "What's New"? Stop!
63951BCA-7010-49B6-831E-DE182FA65E6F.jpeg

Back