Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Plans for 2017

Well, we have 1 trip to Holland, end of March, to see the Tulips and visit Amsterdam, but have just sorted the Ferry and Red Pennant Insurance for my return trip to Scandinavia. Don't know where I'l be staying but the rough route is Home to Harwich, Hook of Holland, Copenhagen, The Bridge, Stockholm, Tromso, Arctic Centre, Oslo and then back across The Bridge to The Hook of Holland ferry and then home to South Wales.

I won't be actually visiting the Main Cities as we do that on short City Breaks staying in the Centre.

About 4,100 miles according to Garmin Basecamp.

View attachment 19308

View attachment 19309

Just a suggestion. Whilst the E6 is fairly scenic it's quite busy with commercial traffic and big motorhomes.
We went up the coast as an alternative which has some stunning scenery on the way up to the Lofoten Islands and came back down the E6 before branching off into Sweden to come home.
We stopped at the Polar Circle Centre as we were passing but personally I don't think it's anything special. Got some nice mugs though and you can send a postcard if that's your kind of thing.
Oh, and the food in there was awful.

We've done that trip a couple of years ago. Except after Bodo, we went back to Sweden and took the Swedish interior route.. very beautiful.

Did you consider taking the ferry Travemunde to Helsinki and then putting the Cali on the night train to Rovaniemi or even better Kolari? https://www.vr.fi/cs/vr/en/long-distance_service_network and https://www.vr.fi/cs/vr/en/frontpage
This is one of our possible summer plans for 2018. It's not so expensive and saves a lot of kms.
No. I like driving so Ferry use will be minimal.

Lovely route. A trip in the north is absolutely on our Bucketlist.

But are you sure you want to go end March? You might look into severe winter weather if King Winter makes that decision. Av. temperature in mid Sweden is -5* … better bring shovel and chains.
I'm going in May. March is to see the Tulips and visit Amsterdam.:thumb

Just a suggestion. Whilst the E6 is fairly scenic it's quite busy with commercial traffic and big motorhomes.
We went up the coast as an alternative which has some stunning scenery on the way up to the Lofoten Islands and came back down the E6 before branching off into Sweden to come home.
We stopped at the Polar Circle Centre as we were passing but personally I don't think it's anything special. Got some nice mugs though and you can send a postcard if that's your kind of thing.
Oh, and the food in there was awful.

Ah. Have a reason to visit, to pick up a special jacket only sold at the Arctic Centre or their other outlet at Knordcap.

Don't intend following the E6 if possible but it is just a guide for my general direction. Depends where the sites and places of interest. The Map route is just a general guide.

As someone who hasn't taken his Cali anywhere yet this is a great thread. I have much to learn.
Plan so far is not to have a plan and it's going well.
Seriously just sorting a couple more logistical family issues and then we're off. Trial run will be in March for a few days to sort out any issues and it's rather a big birthday for her indoors. Then, hopefully it's a one way ticket to mainland Europe. Frankly don't care where and take it from there.
The stunning beauty of this plan is that nothing can go wrong with the plan.
Everything else can go wrong though so we shall no doubt be making desperate posts seeking guidance.
I suspect we will kick off in France heading towards Italy.

Mike

Great to hear about the upcoming trips! We just got back from a winter camping and skiing trip to Hemsedal in Norway. No problems camping out when freezing.
In Easter the 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids) are of on a 4 month roadtrip. We will be going through Germany France(Fontainebleau) and explore Spain stopping at climbing sites. Got the mountain bikes and looking forward to do some riding. When Spain gets too hot we will go to Provence and the Alps. Finishing on the Italian coast, Garda lake and frankenjura in Germany. Excited to leave,

Thank you WG for showing your amazing trips. As a complete novice, what is the app/software you use to plan your routes please? I'm pretty sure my route planning will go pretty much the same as everything else in my life, which is a fairly haphazard approach, but it's good to have good intentions!
Our Beach 150 DSG arrives in the country tomorrow, it's been a fun 10 months since order. Best wishes.

Thank you WG for showing your amazing trips. As a complete novice, what is the app/software you use to plan your routes please? I'm pretty sure my route planning will go pretty much the same as everything else in my life, which is a fairly haphazard approach, but it's good to have good intentions!
Our Beach 150 DSG arrives in the country tomorrow, it's been a fun 10 months since order. Best wishes.
It seems he uses the old favourite Garmin Basecamp. The app is free to download but you need maps. Either you buy or get a Garmin GPS and you can use the maps from that or you download openstreetmaps.
http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

Great to hear about the upcoming trips! We just got back from a winter camping and skiing trip to Hemsedal in Norway. No problems camping out when freezing.
In Easter the 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids) are of on a 4 month roadtrip. We will be going through Germany France(Fontainebleau) and explore Spain stopping at climbing sites. Got the mountain bikes and looking forward to do some riding. When Spain gets too hot we will go to Provence and the Alps. Finishing on the Italian coast, Garda lake and frankenjura in Germany. Excited to leave,
Nice, I always wondered how that would workout. Which camping where you staying at in Hemsedal?
It would be nice with a meet, I have never met anyone with a California yet.
We are in Provence with the Cali mid july to august.

I have a cheap Garmin from Halfords that we use when hiring cars in the USA/Australia. However, having a Garmin you can download some free software from Garmin called Basecamp which runs on your PC. You can then download maps and POI's, such as Archies 30,000 European Campsites, and plot routes, get GPS co-ordinates etc.

Nice, I always wondered how that would workout. Which camping where you staying at in Hemsedal?
It would be nice with a meet, I have never met anyone with a California yet.
We are in Provence with the Cali mid july to august.
Hi Kave we stayed at Moen camping in ulsåk. It worked fine without hookup for 4 days. The Cali is an effective although expensive clothes dryer.
Yes there are not so many Cali owners here in the Göteborg area. Will keep in touch also when we are in Provence this summer.

I am going friday morning to hemsedal with the kids, thank you for the tip.

Just out of curiosity. Do you camp in the cali or have you booked a hotel/cabin?

I was considering to for there for an extended weekend, staying in the cali. But are concerned if it will make sense - keeping clothes dry and all? I guess it will be possible to maintain a good temperature in the car, even though it can get really cold (we had -20 one year).

Spring is done, visit to Prora (Rügen), Penemynde and VW Factory visit in Hanover.
Summer is on the drawing board, but contains at least Mont-Saint-Michel and the Champagne area.
Autumn is unclear.

Just out of curiosity. Do you camp in the cali or have you booked a hotel/cabin?

I was considering to for there for an extended weekend, staying in the cali. But are concerned if it will make sense - keeping clothes dry and all? I guess it will be possible to maintain a good temperature in the car, even though it can get really cold (we had -20 one year).
That is a good question, I plan on sleeping in the Cali using either a regular electric heater (if hookup is provided) or just use the diesel heater. But I have no idea how we will manage.
We will probably eat breakfast in the Cali and eat other meals at restaurants.
It would probably be cheaper to rent an apartment and eat everything at home but I would very much like to test if we can manage.

Spring is done, visit to Prora (Rügen), Penemynde and VW Factory visit in Hanover.
Summer is on the drawing board, but contains at least Mont-Saint-Michel and the Champagne area.
Autumn is unclear.

If going to the Mont-Saint-Michel here's a report on our trip in november 2015 . Did the coast from Belgium up to there .
Stayed at a great campsite from where you can take a shutlle bus to the Mont-Saint-Michel.
Read all here,
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/trip-to-le-mont-saint-michel.12066/#post-118341

Champagne region is also very nice!

Guess i see you in Hannover then...;)

That is a good question, I plan on sleeping in the Cali using either a regular electric heater (if hookup is provided) or just use the diesel heater. But I have no idea how we will manage.
We will probably eat breakfast in the Cali and eat other meals at restaurants.
It would probably be cheaper to rent an apartment and eat everything at home but I would very much like to test if we can manage.
Moen camping has a small kitchen free to use, also there is the possibility to hang clothes to dry just outside the showers. We parked past the last cabin by the river. No hookup but the weather is so warm now so no issues. I made a topper from two tarps bought at decathlon. Got the instructions by googling diy Cali topper. Easy, cheap and worked fine keeping the upstairs warm.

Finally spring has arrived! With longer daylight! So I can take the dogs in the Cali for a short ride after work, walk them, and then have a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, with a view!
And in 2 weeks our first sleep-over for this season in Rotterdam, where hubby will run the marathon.
But specially looking forward to the end op april when we will visit Scotland for 8 days.
Just can't wait :upsidedown

Our 2017 vantastic voyages kick off this weekend:

We're off to the New Forest this weekend for three days 'adjustment'.

First weekend in April, I'm off on my own to The Hell Of The North (Paris Roubaix Cycle Race) in Northern France

Then it's Easter in the Garden of England - Rye, Sissinghurst, Arundel, Leeds Castle

Mrs Strong is then off the following weekend on her own to 'Wonderwool' in Builth Wells and taking a tour to The Quilting Museum in Lampeter.

After that it's off to France again: off to Chateau Chambord and the Loire Valley for 10 days.

Then later in May we have our longest trip away: to the über distant Warren Farm [/sarcasm] and the Cali Meet - looking forward to meeting lots of you there!

Back to France in June for La Grande Boucle (Tour de France) and the Le Mans 24hrs. Also planning to meet my cousin over there to buy (and drink) the best and possibly most expensive bottle of Cognac we can find.

U.K. Tour again in July - heading up to Ullapool and Speyside then heading back down via Northumberland and Durham.

September's France visit will possibly be to walk a section of the St James's route near Clermont Ferand.

Haven't planned anything past thst yet but open to suggestions ... !

New Year at Eskdale
Day visit to New forest Feb
Wareham March
Esk dub Eskdale 31/03/17
New Forest Sportive April
Nant perris for easter with the grown up kids in the cali
Isle of Wight - randonee for BH w/e May
Scout camp May 5th for 2nights
Windsor -ride the night B/h w/e 4 night
Normandy 1 wk June
July and August still to be planned
Sept stratford meet
France/Germany/Italy 2 wks september
Phew!!!! No wonder my decorating is not getting finished.(Hallway has been unfinished for 3 years!)

Our 2017 vantastic voyages kick off this weekend:

We're off to the New Forest this weekend for three days 'adjustment'.

First weekend in April, I'm off on my own to The Hell Of The North (Paris Roubaix Cycle Race) in Northern France

Then it's Easter in the Garden of England - Rye, Sissinghurst, Arundel, Leeds Castle

Mrs Strong is then off the following weekend on her own to 'Wonderwool' in Builth Wells and taking a tour to The Quilting Museum in Lampeter.

After that it's off to France again: off to Chateau Chambord and the Loire Valley for 10 days.

Then later in May we have our longest trip away: to the über distant Warren Farm [/sarcasm] and the Cali Meet - looking forward to meeting lots of you there!

Back to France in June for La Grande Boucle (Tour de France) and the Le Mans 24hrs. Also planning to meet my cousin over there to buy (and drink) the best and possibly most expensive bottle of Cognac we can find.

U.K. Tour again in July - heading up to Ullapool and Speyside then heading back down via Northumberland and Durham.

September's France visit will possibly be to walk a section of the St James's route near Clermont Ferand.

Haven't planned anything past thst yet but open to suggestions ... !
Hell of the North and TDF is cool, where in the New Forrest will you be camping?