Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Beach Cool Box

patnolan

patnolan

Vehicle
T5 Beach
I collected a pre- registered Beach ( 2 rear seat + box ) yesterday and noticed the cool box which came with it does not fit in the back just inside the rear bed extention as it is too high, even when its off the locking plate that clips in to the rail.
Any advice would be welcome,
Apart from that the 150 mile drive back from the garage in the rain was a pleasure.
Thanks.

Hi there pat welcome along. Im sorry I can't help with the cool box we have several beach owners on here notably James ( custard) who I'm sure will be able to advise you enjoy :thumb

Hi

Welcome to the forum :hello

The two seater Beach has a flatter lower bed layout and a non adjustable flexi board. So the cool box will not fit under the flexi board. The two seater Beach has the same bed and board as a full Cali, so in theory it is a more comfortable bed. That's why the box will not fit under, the three seater borrows the Caravelle rear seat and has a higher adjustable flexi board which allows the cool box to sit in the back if required.

You'll notice a lot of promotional pics for the 2 seater Beach show the cool box sitting on the flexi board.

Your options are, accept it or change the board, although not having a two seater Beach I can only presume that this would not work as it would make the bed uneven.

I can't on my Beach but you might be able to leave the base plate in place and still make up the bed?

If you've got some pics - that might be helpful because there are other two seater Beach owners on here and they might have a solution.

My box sits in the middle (occasional seat and foot rest) and I have to move it and the base plate to the back when camping.

James

Hi Pat,

I too have a 2 seat rear Beach, and had tried to source the VW cool box through my local dealer who told me they couldn't supply it in the UK as it wasn't approved for use here?!? , any part numbers and or pics of your set up would be very useful.

I wondered if the cool box would sit on the rail in between the front passenger seat and the storage box behind?

Cheers

Andy

Maxi_mus said:
Hi Pat,

I too have a 2 seat rear Beach, and had tried to source the VW cool box through my local dealer who told me they couldn't supply it in the UK as it wasn't approved for use here?!? , any part numbers and or pics of your set up would be very useful.

I wondered if the cool box would sit on the rail in between the front passenger seat and the storage box behind?

Cheers

Andy

Andy

They were talking out of their cool boxes. I sourced mine from SMG in Kent. I warn you now, it's expensive, so be prepared to commit to OEM VW.

This is how it can work in the three seater. It's notable in the three seater that the rear bench, when made into a seat is quite high as it is when you convert a Caravelle (because they share the same seat).

Board2.jpg

Board1.jpg

BettyMattress2.jpg

James

Cheers James

I will make enquiries with SMG, I had been looking at the "E-Shop" on the German VW site but delivery seems restricted to Germany only. :headwall

The folding rear board is definately more practical on the 3 seat version, shame they don't make the two seat folding too.

Back to the cool box, did you have any choice in colour?.. I was thinking of getting one in anthracite.

Andy

Maxi_mus said:
Cheers James

I will make enquiries with SMG, I had been looking at the "E-Shop" on the German VW site but delivery seems restricted to Germany only. :headwall

The folding rear board is definately more practical on the 3 seat version, shame they don't make the two seat folding too.

Back to the cool box, did you have any choice in colour?.. I was thinking of getting one in anthracite.

Andy

Andy

Speak to Alex on here, he should be able to order one for you. I went for the standard black but I know they come in others colours including Brown!!!

I too hunted around German E Bay - I noticed aside from the delivery issue, many did not include its base plate, which is its genius piece of design.

It's a lot of money but I purchased it because I felt it was VW and part of the van and it has come in very useful, far more than we expected.

And if you want to show your van-ity (see what I did there?) then it always raises a comment, whenever people look round my van they love the cool box :)

If you do need a part number, speak to parts at Tonbridge SMG as they will have the number and if you need a hand or you're not sure of anything, just ask :)

However I am sure Alex at SMG Cowfold will be able to help :)

James

Many thanks James

I will speak to SMG, oh and apologies to Pat for Hijacking the original post :crazy

Andy

Many thanks for all the replies,I am a bit surprised though that VW provided the coolbox for this 2 seater Beach as there is really not a suitable location for it. It looks like I will have to buy a unit that fits behind the bed and sell this one. Any advice on alternative ones would be most welcome.

I agree, Waeco make excellent fridges, we've had one for a few years for camping; runs off 12v, 240v and gas! I'm pretty sure Waeco and Dometic are the same company, you'll often seem the same fridge badged as either.

Andy

patnolan said:
Many thanks for all the replies,I am a bit surprised though that VW provided the coolbox for this 2 seater Beach as there is really not a suitable location for it. It looks like I will have to buy a unit that fits behind the bed and sell this one. Any advice on alternative ones would be most welcome.

The coolbox was never intended for the Beach - it was designed for the Multivan/Caravelle. VW do a number of coolboxes for their vehicles and have always offered one with the T5 Multivan/Caravelle. This is because you can have the sleep package (goodnight package) and a parking heater turning your Multivan/Caravelle into a tin top camper. It's a way of adding a small fridge and warm box.

Because it's a coolbox it's natural to think it is a camping accessory and therefore designed for the California but that's not the case.

It's only because the three bench Beach is closer to a Multivan/Caravelle that the box fits. There is a kind of logic to it in that the two seater Beach is deigned to be a camping vehicle so it has a much lower, flatter and in theory more comfortable bed. That's the main remit of the Beach concept, a weekend camper or dayvan.

Obviously some bright spark at VW noticed that coolbox fitted in the three seat Beach and thought, well it's a camping accessory, we may as well as offer it as an option. Which is fine if you have a Multivan/Caravelle derived three seater Beach and not so if you don't.

James

Just planing a trip in Beach to Rome for end of month and would like to buy a coolbox / fridge that would fit under the 2 seater rear bed panel and having a problem locating one. I still have the original one with the locking mechanism (unused) and will sell it if I can get an alternative replacement. If anyone has found a model that fits I would be delighted to hear from them, if no luck then I suppose will have to use it and place it behind the front seats. Thanks...

Our Waeco cf35 sits on top of the storage box with a strap of each handle down to a load eye and is pinned by the seat. Actually works really well :-D

I noticed my coolbox had turned off - presumably due to low leisure battery voltage as it came back on after a long journey.

Anybody with a VW Beach and VW coolbox - what runtime are you getting from it before it turns off?

Anybody know what the Amp.hrs on the Beach leisure battery is and what the current draw is on the coolbox?

Thanks

Hi Custard

It depends on the journey and charge. The coolbox is just that, it can't be seen as a fridge.

I can't give exact times but no more than hour after stopping the engine

James

James said:
Hi Custard

It depends on the journey and charge. The coolbox is just that, it can't be seen as a fridge.

James

An hour James??... My waeco cfx35 lasted for 2 1/2 days at 1deg at silverstone recently!!

redredzimmer said:
James said:
Hi Custard

James

An hour James??... My waeco cfx35 lasted for 2 1/2 days at 1deg at silverstone recently!!

James

The VW Coolbox is not a fridge - if you want a full on fridge/coolbox there are better options. It was never designed for camping, it was designed for Multivans/Caravelles :)

James

I know mine was still running 6hrs after the end of a longish journey but was off when I woke up the next morning. Everything was still very cold inside but I don't know when it stopped.

I mistakenly assumed it would last a couple of days.

I guess not!

Thanks for the info.

6 hours is good - it will keep stuff chilled after it has turned off - that is half the point. It does keep cold in.

But I know what you mean, still love mine though - great for shopping :)

James

James said:
redredzimmer said:
James said:
Hi Custard

James

James

The VW Coolbox is not a fridge - if you want a full on fridge/coolbox there are better options. It was never designed for camping, it was designed for Multivans/Caravelles :)

James

Genuinely astounded that your expectation is only a few hours!!

James[/quote]

Genuinely astounded that your expectation is only a few hours!![/quote]

It's not that my expectation is a few hours, I knew what I was buying when I bought the coolboox, I researched VW Calimaboxes and knew I was not buying a fridge - they really are a coolbox, granted, most people in a camping based vehicle will feel let down buy this but the Climaboxes are simply VW branded coolboxes designed for the Multivan / Caravelle.

For what we use the van for it suits us fine :) I knew about all the options available and like I said to you before, don't buy it if you are viewing it as a fridge.

James

As expected my cool box lasts about an hour when engine is not running, when on site we have electric hook up and power it via a transformer. It draws about 3 amps, and the cooling efficiency is 20 degrees below ambient temperature.
This particular cool box has an inbuilt protection unit to prevent you from flattening the leisure battery and when it drops to just below 12 volts it cuts out, this is normal and designed to do so. It probably better suited for a Caravelle / Van, mine came with the beach and my only complaint is that it does not fit under the multiflex board.
I bought a digital volt meter (£3-50) which plugs in the cigarette socket, this allows me to keep an eye on the battery condition with the engine running and stopped.
I believe this cool box works well in the UK, but if travelling to hotter climate then best to buy a fridge.

Okay so the cool box turns off after an hour or so, but what if you are on hook up? Does the hook up not charge the leisure battery or power the fridge directly? Going to Spain in two weeks and want to keep things cool throughout the day. Do I need to buy a fridge?