Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Small Bench Drawer - not £550 …!

couplands

couplands

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Having kicked myself for not ordering the optional small bench drawer at the time of purchase (at £234 today's price) and seen the price of a retrofit drawer at around £550 I decided to try and make my own.

I looked at various options that have appeared on this forum, from a simple planter (from a garden centre) that would just slide in to a purpose made plastic bin (that still looks like a planter) I came up with my own design made out of plywood and some "push-to-open" drawer rails. I also repurposed the existing cover plate to be the front of the drawer. The plywood came from my left over pile, so cost me nothing - it is a mix of 12mm for the base and back/front and 6mm for the sides.

Drawer rails - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404403370843?var=674345925802 (cost £12.50)

To say I'm pleased with the outcome is an understatement;-)

Screenshot 2024-02-25 162518.png
20240221_115610.jpg20240221_115623.jpg20240223_163816.jpg20240223_163822.jpg

Last edited:
Now that is a tidy solution! Congrats on the build. And love that you reused the front; it's the one thing I dont like about some of the aftermarket/self-builds (not that I could do better, mind you) is the wooden board at the front.

Nicely done!

Having kicked myself for not ordering the optional small bench drawer at the time of purchase (at £234 today's price) and seen the price of a retrofit drawer at around £550 I decided to try and make my own.

I looked at various options that have appeared on this forum, from a simple planter (from a garden centre) that would just slide in to a purpose made plastic bin (that still looks like a planter) I came up with my own design made out of plywood and some "push-to-open" drawer rails. I also repurposed the existing cover plate to be the front of the drawer. The plywood came from my left over pile, so cost me nothing - it is a mix of 12mm for the base and back/front and 6mm for the sides.

Drawer rails - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404403370843?var=674345925802 (cost £12.50)

View attachment 119750
View attachment 119744View attachment 119745View attachment 119746View attachment 119747
This is fantastic!
This looks to be the neatest 'home made' version I've seen. The use of the original grey front panel really makes it look the part.
Did you fix the drawer runners directly to the seat base? And if so did you need to remove the seat for drilling?

This is fantastic!
This looks to be the neatest 'home made' version I've seen. The use of the original grey front panel really makes it look the part.
Did you fix the drawer runners directly to the seat base? And if so did you need to remove the seat for drilling?
I fastened the rails directly to the seat base, using the existing holes that the factory small drawer uses. The rails attach with self tapping screws, no drilling needed. The holes are at a standard dimension (240mm I recall) apart that fit the holes in the rails.

If you look at this video from Campervan Time, you’ll see how the factory drawer fits.

I fastened the rails directly to the seat base, using the existing holes that the factory small drawer uses. The rails attach with self tapping screws, no drilling needed. The holes are at a standard dimension (240mm I recall) apart that fit the holes in the rails.

If you look at this video from Campervan Time, you’ll see how the factory drawer fits.
That's great. I've ordered the drawer runners straight away. I made the 'shoe box' for the other side of the seat using left over laminate flooring (very tough and hard wearing), I may use the laminate on this project aswell.
Thanks for sharing, I'm feeling inspired to finally get this done!

That's great. I've ordered the drawer runners straight away. I made the 'shoe box' for the other side of the seat using left over laminate flooring (very tough and hard wearing), I may use the laminate on this project aswell.
Great, give us a shout if you need any help...

View attachment 119750
View attachment 119744View attachment 119745View attachment 119746View attachment 119747
This is great. Exactly the type of post I like to read in this forum.

Inspired, this weekend was making similar box but never considered using push to open hinges.. Did consider chopping the old cover to bits to use at the front panel. For now will live with simple box but may in future modify as yours..

Top work, no way i could justify VW drawer prices..

Wow, that is just beautifully done! Impressive. Did the original front cover come with your van even though you did not order the drawer?

Wow, that is just beautifully done! Impressive. Did the original front cover come with your van even though you did not order the drawer?
Yes, the front cover is there (as a blanking plate) to hide the space where the drawer would go.

It has a plastic bracket stuck on the back of the cover that hooks onto the side of the seat base. I carefully prised off this bracket using a paint scraper after drilling a little bit the melted plastic lugs on the bracket/cover - you will know what I mean if you look at the cover & bracket.

View attachment 119750
Wish I had saved my £££ for the second drawer! Fine work!

Are there plans on this forum anywhere for dimensions for the shoe rack?

Are there plans on this forum anywhere for dimensions for the shoe rack?
yes they are on other threads but the website is van hackers
there's other plans there also

yes they are on other threads but the website is van hackers
there's other plans there also
I made one using the plans and am very happy with it.

View attachment 119750
This looks great. I am going to give it a go. May I just ask what size rails you went for, 600mm?, as there are quite a few options on the eBay link.
Your drawer lines up perfectly on the front & I wonder if you could advise the process you used to achieve this, measurements or trial & error? :)
Thanks.

Last edited:
:thumb Very well done, that's for sure! Sometimes I spend money, sometimes I don't, sometimes I make something myself, sometimes not. I choose this solution: simple, cheap and done quickly; just put the flap of the felt bag in it. Does not slide under hard braking. It works for me (although I think your solution is well done).
1709227736003.jpeg

Last edited:
Now that is a tidy solution! Congrats on the build. And love that you reused the front; it's the one thing I dont like about some of the aftermarket/self-builds (not that I could do better, mind you) is the wooden board at the front.

Nicely done!
Yup, gotta agree with others here...... that looks fantastic, well done! Thank you for providing the detail and inspiration needed for me to (eventually) get around to do this :thumb

@couplands I should add that I saw the thread title and skipped it a few times...... I thought is was going to be about fitting a drawer in a 'Self build van conversion'........ could you change the title maybe? That is just too good a mod to slip under the radar :cool:

Well done for a great solution. Do you have the dimensions for where the rails fit on your box, just easier to do whilst making the box :)

Well done for a great solution. Do you have the dimensions for where the rails fit on your box, just easier to do whilst making the box :)
Given the number of variables when fitting the drawer, rather than give measurements from mine here is the method I use to attach drawers (I use this for kitchen drawers as well as Cali drawers).

For the rails, fit them to the seat base first. The holes will match up. I ran a self tapping screw through the holes in the seat base first before I attached the rails. After that, place your drawer on the floor on a couple of spacers, I used 18mm off cuts of ply. This seemed to be the right height. Then push the drawer into the seat base with the rails fully back and aim to get the box in the right place referencing the front of the larger drawer. You might need to temporarily attach the plastic front panel so you can find out the right position. Then mark a line on the side of the drawer where the end of the rails come.

After that, pull the drawer out (still place it on the 18mm spacers) and pullout the rails as far as they will come. Line up the front of the rails with your marks on the drawer. At that point, just screw the rails to the side of the drawer.

Hopefully that’s a bit clearer than mud..! If you still want my measurements let me know and I’ll go and measure.

This looks great. I am going to give it a go. May I just ask what size rails you went for, 600mm?, as there are quite a few options on the eBay link.
Your drawer lines up perfectly on the front & I wonder if you could advise the process you used to achieve this, measurements or trial & error? :)
Thanks.
I went for 600, but 550 would be fine too.

Here’s my process for getting the drawer in the right place on the rails. You may still need to fine tune…the rails have slotted holes so you can move them back and forth a few mm.

For the rails, fit them to the seat base first. The holes will match up. I ran a self tapping screw through the holes in the seat base first before I attached the rails. After that, place your drawer on the floor on a couple of spacers, I used 18mm off cuts of ply. This seemed to be the right height. Then push the drawer into the seat base with the rails fully back and aim to get the box in the right place referencing the front of the larger drawer. You might need to temporarily attach the plastic front panel so you can find out the right position. Then mark a line on the side of the drawer where the end of the rails come.

After that, pull the drawer out (still place it on the 18mm spacers) and pullout the rails as far as they will come. Line up the front of the rails with your marks on the drawer. At that point, just screw the rails to the side of the drawer.

Hope that’s clearer than mud…!

@couplands I should add that I saw the thread title and skipped it a few times...... I thought is was going to be about fitting a drawer in a 'Self build van conversion'........ could you change the title maybe? That is just too good a mod to slip under the radar :cool:
I have changed the title….any better…? Happy to take suggestions for an alternative.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the detailed instructions and for sharing all of your hard work! Definately a great modification that i'm sure loads of people will make use of!

I have just built the box and bought the rails so almost ready to fit, but have just realised that I don't have any of the pre-drilled holes on my T5 bench, so ill need to line up and create the holes somehow, but really looking forward to adding this very soon.

Thats annoying..! You'll need a right angle chuck/drill to get in there I guess.

Worth checking some of the other threads on here re: fitting the drawer to T5s. There may be an answer...

Edit: this thread from 2012 shows a drawer being fitted and it sounds like the holes in the bench seat were there…
Thread 'Guide - Fitting The Small Under Bench Drawer'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/guide-fitting-the-small-under-bench-drawer.1768/

Last edited:
Back