Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali locks me out for no apparent reason

L

Lavapotman

Vehicle
Just browsing
Has anyone come across the phenomenon of the Cali randomly locking itself (with keys inside the van)?

It happens regularly to us. Any advice on what we are doing wrong or what fault it may have would be appreciated.

It's a 2009 model.

Thanks

Doug :help

on mine 2006 model, when u unlock with fob if u don't open drivers door within a certain period it will relock itself, but if keys are inside you must have opened drivers door.

John

Mine is the same as Johns if I unlock it with the key but don't open any door it re locks
I always put my keys in my pocket once I have opened the door :thumb

We also have a 2009. With ours you have to open either the side door or the drivers door, otherwise it locks again.
We had a problem, just before the warranty ran out, that it stopped "seeing" that the side door had been opened, and would re lock unless we opened the drivers door. This was fixed by replacing the "door electronics module".
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Have you ever seen the movie Christine? Or 'I bought a vampire motorcycle'? They have a sense of humour these vehicles. What do you expect if you leave your keys inside? :D

Does this happen anywhere or just one location?
Other radio control systems use the same band of frequencies and rely on digital coding to stop interference with other systems. Generally everything works OK but sometimes stray harmonic frequencies can cause strange things to occur.
We have a remote control to operate lights in our lounge and occasionally our neighbors remote locking switches them all off.
I worked for a company making overhead cranes which for obvious reasons have very secure control systems but one site had a problem where when the cranes were operated some of the Golfs in the car park unlocked, this is despite frequency hopping and secure digital coding.
Worth checking to see what is around.

The side door and the front doors should have working sensors on them. Our driver's door sensor failed which meant we had the same issue as bobcat. Suggest you test each door in turn to see which one has failed.

I don't think there is a sensor at all on the tailgate door, so don't open that and then drop your keys on the parcel shelf!

The other thing to watch for is that if you lock the van with the side door open and then shut the side door the van will stay locked.

We are now obsessive about always having at least one set of keys outside of the van

It could be useful to just get a blank metal key cut for the door. This will open the door but cannot start the vehicle as it has no electronics to switch off the Imobiliser . Then you can wear it on a lanyard or use a magnetic key box to stick under the vehicle or hidden somewhere else eg; screwed to underside and covered in under seal. Messy but saves a possible broken window.

Before we bought our cali (Charlie) we hired one, this was back in 2010. I recall we were at a campsite near Winchester, our two labs were in the van and we were just returning to the site. As we pulled up there were lots of people gathering around to see some Morris dancers, we hopped out leaving the dogs inside for two minutes, I locked the van but the missus went back for the camera opening the passenger door. happily armed with camera she was walking towards me when we heard the clunk of the locks and the indicators flash, at which point, without a word we both knew she had left the keys inside. So, the van is double parked, the dogs are inside, I had no phone no wallet no nothing, the Morris dancers are prancing away and the alarm is about to go off. S**t, s**t and double s**t, what was I to do! I had to phone my sister (reverse charge) get her to look on the internet for contact details of the hire company get her to phone them to get them to phone me to arrange them to come to the site and save my bacon, it was an awful 10 minutes! fortunately, the hire company came out and were with us within half an hour and the alarm never went off, phew.

You can turn off auto locking in VCDS, Mine is!
Ian

Back