Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Concept website is up

Configurator should go live tomorrow

got to say that I'm slowly warming to it - though we don't have much stuff ...

however, as always, God is in the details.

Configurator should go live tomorrow
Out of interest, where does it mention the configurator going live tomorrow? I had the email saying the site was up, but didn’t see anything about tomorrow.

They do have the big launch event on the 7th of May, would be good to get an idea on options before they do the launch.

It'll be like the vast majority of new launches which follow this emotional curve;

Yuk! looks awful that concept will never happen....
Looks horrible it'll never buy one and no one else will either.......
Actually when I look at it in detail I may be interested.....
Looks okay may consider one next........
I want one! how much will you give me for my 6.1 :D :D :D

And where's the table?
Stupidly it’s in the boot! It’s the biggest let down for me with the new Cali that they have moved the table to the boot and no longer down the side of the bench seat.

I can see why they have done it as the new Cali is not as wide.

I like it, I think it will sell well.
For 2 it might be a nice alternative but if the hob isn't run off the leisure batteries (which will cause them to drain super fast) then BEV's are going to love you as you hook up to a charging point to make a brew.

My T6.1 Cali is currently back with Breeze and they’ve kindly loaned me a T7 Multivan Plug-in Hybrid. It’s a very nice drive - quiet, nippy and handles and rides extremely well. Not crashy or harsh at all. The interior quality is nice too - almost a hark back to the solidity and soft touch plastics of the T6, but with all the latest gadgets and tech. If that’s the base for the new Cali then its a great start.

It’s noticeably narrower inside - not so much outside (although this loaner is all black so it does look a little hearse-like). Internal headroom I’m not sure if there’s much in it but it does ride lower to the road so the driving position is not as elevated.

My wife absolutely loves it and can’t wait to see the Cali version. We’ve toured in a Z4 with a tent years ago and our camping vehicle before our Cali was a Mink - a little teardrop camper from Iceland that we towed behind our BMW. So we are well used to adapting to small spaces and always travel light, so storage space may not be that much of an issue for us in this new concept Cali.

Interested to see the launch in May. However for me, it just doesn’t press the same buttons as our T6.1 Cali. For one, I can’t stand the looks from the outside. The driving position is much less elevated and I can’t imagine how it could ever feel very…. campervany.

It says it's 'ready for any challenge family life can throw at it". Presumably they mean traveling without any belongings or equipment.
Or people who love to swim ;)

For 2 it might be a nice alternative but if the hob isn't run off the leisure batteries (which will cause them to drain super fast) then BEV's are going to love you as you hook up to a charging point to make a brew.
One thing I live about having solar is never having to worry about hooking up. I'm sure the hob will only work on hookup, simply uses to much power to run on batteries. Major drawback for the new Cali, but I suppose the gas bottle was taking up too much space to fit in the new concept.

It'll be like the vast majority of new launches which follow this emotional curve;

Yuk! looks awful that concept will never happen....
Looks horrible it'll never buy one and no one else will either.......
Actually when I look at it in detail I may be interested.....
Looks okay may consider one next........
I want one! how much will you give me for my 6.1 :D :D :D
Like them two old blokes on the muppet show :D:D

Out of interest, where does it mention the configurator going live tomorrow? I had the email saying the site was up, but didn’t see anything about tomorrow.

They do have the big launch event on the 7th of May, would be good to get an idea on options before they do the launch.
My bad. When I skim read the marketing bumpf I misread "Meet the Campervan of tomorrow"

Not sure its a good idea advertising the T6.1 along side the MV Cali

Untitled 17.jpg

It has a gas hob + induction hob.

Stupidly it’s in the boot! It’s the biggest let down for me with the new Cali that they have moved the table to the boot and no longer down the side of the bench seat.

I can see why they have done it as the new Cali is not as wide.
That was my initial take and it's true as far as the table goes, however, the (optional) Multivan console between the front seats can be pulled to the back on rails; it has a flip up tray on both sides that make a small table. I could live with that.
I don't see 4Motion mentioned anywhere. Does anyone know if the hybrid gas/electric version implies all wheel drive?