Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Beach- ?Taxed as car emissions based or motorhome?

M

MickyBlue

VIP Member
May seem like a dumb qustion, but as a full-fat Cali owner one of the attractive benefits for us (having a DSG 4motion) was that the road tax was a lot lower than say a Caravelle DSG 4motion.

So is the road tax done as a MH with the Beach?

I am pondering selling our Cali as it just is not being used as it is designed, and think we should have gone for the Caravelle DSG 4motion, but then if they put a bigger engine/DSG/4motion in the Beach it may suit use (like the continentals get the various options of)

It also seems daft that you cant even get a DSG 4motion in the Sportline Combi in the UK(unless anyone knows things may change)

Anyway answers on a post(card) please.

TIA
Mike

I am afraid it is classed as a Car for taxation.

However, the Bluemotion Beach does sit in the same tax bracket (£210/year) as the full fat Cali, the only difference being that with a Beach you pay extra for the first year costs.

You may also find your insurance costs are significantly higher with the Beach than the full fat Cali.

Chris

Oh well that's that idea 'beached' then!

Will probably have to look more closely at Combi & Caravelle.

Sent by BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

MickyBlue said:
Oh well that's that idea 'beached' then!

Will probably have to look more closely at Combi & Caravelle.

Sent by BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

I guess you have to decide what you want and what you need. The Caravelle is an impressive vehicle in SE or Executive spec.

I take it you want DSG/4 Motion???

That would eliminate the Beach which sadly, as you say doesn't come with that option in the UK.

I would still consider a 140 Beach with a full quota of seats - you still have the option of camping/going away. You do pay a price for the Beach - you can get a well specced Caravelle for the price of a Beach.

Kombi's are lovely - but a well specced one will make a Beach look cheap and I think, really, they are designed for people who want to convert or build something individual. I was very very tempted by a Kombi when I was buying, in some ways they are a blank canvas.

James

Thanks guys. Yes I would like DSG & 4motion again

A lot of thinking is needed on my part.

Esp to see what return I can get on our Cali since it was £50k+

This oddity with the Beach has cropped up before with insurance, I don't get the issue that companies have.

I googled a random image of a Beach - VK12 GWW

I then looked up the DVLA details for that plate using My Car Check for iPhone and it quite clearly lists it as 'Body Style - Motor Home/Caravan'. It also carries the same Type Approval as the Cali SE.

I have also checked a number of other Beach that I can find using google, all of which appear to be listed with DVLA as Motor Caravans.

Stu said:
This oddity with the Beach has cropped up before with insurance, I don't get the issue that companies have.

I googled a random image of a Beach - VK12 GWW

I then looked up the DVLA details for that plate using My Car Check for iPhone and it quite clearly lists it as 'Body Style - Motor Home/Caravan'. It also carries the same Type Approval as the Cali SE.

I have also checked a number of other Beach that I can find using google, all of which appear to be listed with DVLA as Motor Caravans.

Stu

Doesn't have cooking equipment?? That was the frequent question I heard.

My insurance is cheaper than my Volvo C30 and a tiny bit more than my Ford KA --- and that's with biz use.

At the time I insured my Beach - it wasn't cropping up on most insurance companies databases.

It was awkward to insure my Beach but it's not that expensive for me and I've only been driving since 2007.

James

Fixed cooking etc is the difference (inc water storage). I have copied this from http://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal ;

"What makes a 'Motor Caravan'?

For a vehicle to qualify as a 'Motor Caravan' in the UK in the eyes of the DVLA the following permanent fixtures must be present:

Sleeping Accommodation
There must be a bed with a minimum length of 6ft or 180cms
The bed must be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation area
The bed must be permanent or converted from seats (the bed can fold away during the day)
The bed fixtures must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side walls, unless it is over the drivers cab compartment.
Door
There must be a horizontal sliding door or an outward opening rear or side door.
Seats and Tables
There must be a seating area for diners to sit around
The table can be fixed or detachable
The table must mount directly to the vehicle floor or side walls
The table mounting must be secured as a permanent feature, either bolted screwed or welded. The table itself can be detachable.
Seats must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side walls
The seats must be secured as a permanent fixture, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded
Permanently secured seating must be available for use at a table
Water Container
Note: DVLA do not state any requirements regarding water storage. However, most insurance companies state that the water tank should be onboard, or under the chassis. However, some insurance companies are happy with an external water container that can be moved, such as those used with a caravan.
The vehicle must have an onboard or external (e,g, under the chassis) water container
Note: The insurer Adrian Flux requires the water container to hold 6 gallons / 27 litres.
Storage
The vehicle must have at least one cupboard, locker or wardrobe
The cupboard must be an integral part of the living accommodation area
The cupboard must be a permanent feature, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded
The cupboard must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and / or side walls
Cooking
The vehicle must have cooking facilities powered by fixed gas, electric hob or microwave oven
The cooking facilities must be secured directly to the vehicle floor or side wall
The cooking facilities must be a permanent feature, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded
Gas and electric hobs must have a minimum or 2 cooking rings. Microwave ovens must have a power source (don't just fit one that can't be used)
Gas cooking facilities with remote fuel supplies must have the gas supply pipe permanently secured to the vehicle structure
Gas cooking facilities with remote fuel supplies should have the gas bottle, fuel reservoir secured to the vehicle structure

Outside
The vehicle must have at least one side window
New! Since 2011 the DVLA are now asking that the vehicle look like a motor caravan from the outside. The details are yet unclear what is required. More information will appear here when available."

Ok so I see that it doesn't meet the DVLA requirements in which case they shouldn't be recording them as such on their system. Does it say camper van or similar on your V5?

My V5 lists the Body type as Motor Caravan, and the Taxation class as Diesel Car.

We are getting delivery of our new California in two weeks and our present car insurer will not insure a van. I would appreciate advice on best Insurers for Californias

Back