Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Beach 5 speed clutch judder

A

Athomp15

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Hi, I've owned my Beach for approx 1yr now. Great van love it but the clutch started to judder about 3 months ago. It's most noticable when reversing up a slight incline (i.e. my driveway!). Anyhow phoned VW Lancashire Van Center in Preston. It's booked in for a checkup under Warranty. They did warn me that clutches are w&t items. Van's only done 10k miles!

I know customer service seems to be a big issues with VW, so thought I would post and let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Alex

Not sure that 1yr and 10k miles is fair wear and tear!! Unless you use it as a driving school car? I guess you should see what they say and go from there. Hopefully they will replace it for you!

T4 Clutches are "made of cheese". Hopefully a feature not continued onto T5's.
I have some judder on mine particularly when it is cold and wet weather, which perhaps coincides with your problems appearing. It's just when the van is cold and only really in 1st and reverse. Once fully warmed up, it disappears.
Pumping the clutch a few times before starting off seems to help. Wondered if it was moisture on the clutch friction surfaces?

It could be the dual mass flywheel packing up.
I had the same on a Skoda Octavia from new a few years ago. The dealer kept saying it would bed in but it got worse and eventually broke up and took the gearbox out with it. Quite a well known problem a few years ago so if it is that then push to get it done under warranty. Fortunately it was a company car so the lease company had all the hassle but it was eventually done under the warranty.

Just had my DMF and clutch replaced, not a lot left on clutch, but springs on DMF wearing and release bearing knackered

John

Hi Alex
Don't be put off with that old chestnut "FW&T, not covered under warranty", if they push that just mention the Sale of Goods Act and that the warranty agreement doesn't affect you statutory rights under that act. Just as a reminder, those rights are that a product or service must be:

1. Of merchantable quality
2. Fit for purpose
3. As described

There is currently no time limit on those statutory rights. Given the relatively low use of your Beach, I'm sure any bonafide dealer would see sense before you had to go down this route. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have occasional judder and I've only done 7500 miles, its very rare though so not enough to make me think its a problem. I just put it down to inclines and such but I do intend to keep an eye on it though.

I have occasional judder and I've only done 7500 miles, its very rare though so not enough to make me think its a problem. I just put it down to inclines and such but I do intend to keep an eye on it though.
Is it worse when cold / damp Matt?

Our carpark at work has a ramp to exit, so I've noticed it most when going up this ramp (in 1st) and yes when cold. Never noticed it warm but even so its been 3 times maybe.

Back