Brandrup Isotop VI; any reviews?

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Kate
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hello lovely people

I, like so many others, am in the midst of the topper debate. I have read so many fantastic posts on the forum and am still torn....who isn’t!

So, having concluded there is no perfect topper, I think the Brandrup covers my needs for 90% of the time. I’m thinking I might use Radio-active’s fantastic template (thank you for your superb post on this. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/roof-canvas-insulation.24807/ ) and make my own external cover to cover the other 10%. I can’t justify spending hundreds more for the occasions I need to cover against snow/driving rain.

The new version appears to have new interior fixings at the top. I’d really like to get some feedback on whether this improved things or not, as the forums suggest the top fixings are the main issue with this item.

So, has anyone bought and fitted the new isotop mark VI and would you be able to give me a review?

Thanks

We have one - a new VI - installed, it’s absolutely invaluable. Not sure we’d be camping, or at least sleeping upstairs, without it.

Was relatively simple to install. All the adhesive and Velcro fixings come with it. After attaching the adhesive in 18deg+temperatures (we ran the van heater for 20 mins or so before beginning), you wait 48 hours and complete the rest.

The fact that you don’t need to take it out every time you bring the roof down is brilliant. We have a bungee around the roof outside and this helps keep the ISO-too fabric and roof fabric away from the roof mechanism.

It’s kept us very snug so far this winter, and also much drier than just having the van fabric.

I’d thoroughly recommend it if you’re camping beyond October/ before April.

Thank you. Those are certainly the reasons why I think it’s the one for me. I can see the benefits of the external option but as we mostly want to tour and move regularly, I think the external one will get tiresome on a daily basis and much more difficult if I’m on my own with the kids. I also want the darkness, to aid sleeping children, but be able to use all the windows and the others don’t have that as an option.

Do you know if they changed the Velcro fixings at the top? On the website, It looks like they have changed to a Velcro strip that runs along the sides at the top instead of the tabs that go through the rings.

Can you also confirm that you don’t have to screw the front Velcro pads in? The website suggests that they need to be permanently fixed in and I want to check they haven’t changed it to a screw in fitting, which I understand they have in the Beach?

Of course I now have the headache of it being out of stock and too cold to fit (unless I go ‘rebel’ and try the hairdryer etc options).

Thanks so much for your reply.

We have one - a new VI - installed, it’s absolutely invaluable. Not sure we’d be camping, or at least sleeping upstairs, without it.

Was relatively simple to install. All the adhesive and Velcro fixings come with it. After attaching the adhesive in 18deg+temperatures (we ran the van heater for 20 mins or so before beginning), you wait 48 hours and complete the rest.

The fact that you don’t need to take it out every time you bring the roof down is brilliant. We have a bungee around the roof outside and this helps keep the ISO-too fabric and roof fabric away from the roof mechanism.

It’s kept us very snug so far this winter, and also much drier than just having the van fabric.

I’d thoroughly recommend it if you’re camping beyond October/ before April.

Also......when you close the roof, does it make it more difficult to shut the sliding panel? I only ask because mine is already a little tight at times, even without the iso-top. I probably need to fold the front section differently but not worked it out yet.

It certainly helps with the darkness too, my wife thinks a bit too much as we keep sleeping in!

The Velcro fittings at the top are still the tabs at the front (these slot in rather than screw but I can’t see them being permanent, maybe just a bit tough to pull back out). The sides tie to the net holders to create the basis for the Velcro to go onto. The sides and front are attached by zip. You do need to roll the front down before lowering the roof, but only take a few seconds. Doing this helps with closing the roof shutter.

The iso-top does make shutting the shutter a bit harder, however it’s fine and adding a bungee externally helps with this.

It certainly helps with the darkness too, my wife thinks a bit too much as we keep sleeping in!

The Velcro fittings at the top are still the tabs at the front (these slot in rather than screw but I can’t see them being permanent, maybe just a bit tough to pull back out). The sides tie to the net holders to create the basis for the Velcro to go onto. The sides and front are attached by zip. You do need to roll the front down before lowering the roof, but only take a few seconds. Doing this helps with closing the roof shutter.

The iso-top does make shutting the shutter a bit harder, however it’s fine and adding a bungee externally helps with this.

Fab. Thank you.

Closing: Do you have to open the whole of the front section or just the front window?

Fab. Thank you.

Closing: Do you have to open the whole of the front section or just the front window?

The front section of the ISO-Top (so not the iso-top window, nor the roof’s window). It’s a zip down on either side and then roll the fabric down and tie using the ties (stitched on). Although I forgot to do that this morning and it was fine - just a bit harder to close the shutter.

The front section of the ISO-Top (so not the iso-top window, nor the roof’s window). It’s a zip down on either side and then roll the fabric down and tie using the ties (stitched on). Although I forgot to do that this morning and it was fine - just a bit harder to close the shutter.
Thanks for that. I was hoping it was just the isotop front window rather than the whole front section, as it seems easier to reach, but am sure it’s not too much hassle.

I am guessing you saw the video I did? I have had the isotop in now for about 4 months, Ive used it in very hot weather close to 40c and cold now down to about 2c. It definitely made a difference in the heat but really made a big difference in the cold. Heater downstairs never seemed to reach the upstairs before we had this but now the heat stays quite nicely and our heater needs to run a lot less to keep the place toasty warm. It stays warm for longer too.

Bellows

Pros
  • Internal, fit and forget, no putting away damp external toppers
  • In the UK at least good pro for me is that it darkens the poptop. Good for bright summer mornings to ensure sun doesnt wake you up at 4.30am
  • Technical fabric is thin but breathable yet insulating.
  • Holds heat in better, but also stops heat build up from sun shining on the poptop.
  • Prevents drafts (but still has air space for air vent).
  • Easy to fit no DIY experience needed.
Cons
  • Reduces the poptop size by a tiny amount probably about an inch on the sides and front.
  • On the beach (or coast manual roof) you have to put screws into the plastic roof, on the Ocean (or electric coast roof) there is no drilling thankfully . Torx screw driver required for Beach but not in the instructions.
  • Instructions are in a strange English-like language but are hard to interpret. Makes an easy job confusing.
  • Can't see the canvas internally any longer so care needed putting roof down, however bellows bungee solves this easily.

Last edited:
Happy to film a few follow up vids if you people want to see any of the features in a bit more detail. Although as I found its quite hard to film because of the nature of it being a small space. :)

Has anyone tried the iso-top with the latest T6 canvas, the one with the fully opening front?

The new canvas material and the zips down the sides seem to make it really tight to close the sliding roof door, is there still room for the iso-top?

I am guessing you saw the video I did? I have had the isotop in now for about 5 months, Ive used it in very hot weather close to 40c and cold now down to about 2c. It definitely made a difference in the heat but really made a big difference in the cold. Heater downstairs never seemed to reach the upstairs before we had this but now the heat stays quite nicely and our heater needs to run a lot less to keep the place toasty warm. It stays warm for longer too.

Bellows

Pros
  • Internal, fit and forget, no putting away damp external toppers
  • In the UK at least good pro for me is that it darkens the poptop. Good for bright summer mornings to ensure sun doesnt wake you up at 4.30am
  • Technical fabric is thin but breathable yet
  • Holds heat in better, but also stops heat build up from sun shining on the poptop.
  • Prevents drafts (but still has air space for air vent).
  • Easy to fit no DIY experience needed.
Cons
  • Reduces the poptop size by a tiny amount probably about an inch on the sides and front.
  • On the beach (or coast manual roof) you have to put screws into the plastic roof, on the Ocean (or electric coast roof) there is no drilling thankfully . Torx screw driver required for Beach but not in the instructions.
  • Instructions are in a strange English-like language but are hard to interpret. Makes an easy job confusing.
  • Can't see the canvas internally any longer so care needed putting roof down, however bellows bungee solves this easily.
Hi

I did see your video and gave it a like on YouTube. Thanks so much for doing it as it was really helpful.

All your points are the reasons I have chosen it. I think my main issue was when a company brings out a new model, are there going to be problems??? The Brandrup site seems to suggest a different strip of Velcro at the sides on the top but talking with someone who has already fitted it, I’m not sure that’s the case (the photos just look different) for that section.

Now I just have to wait for them to come back in stock.

Thanks again for your advice.

Hi

I did see your video and gave it a like on YouTube. Thanks so much for doing it as it was really helpful.

All your points are the reasons I have chosen it. I think my main issue was when a company brings out a new model, are there going to be problems??? The Brandrup site seems to suggest a different strip of Velcro at the sides on the top but talking with someone who has already fitted it, I’m not sure that’s the case (the photos just look different) for that section.

Now I just have to wait for them to come back in stock.

Thanks again for your advice.
The only velcro I had on the top part of the roof was at the rear, everything else attached with little "velcro-like" fasteners and the plastic tabs. They may have changed it, I hear they put an elasticated part on the rear now to make it easier to get a tight fit.

Has anyone tried the iso-top with the latest T6 canvas, the one with the fully opening front?

The new canvas material and the zips down the sides seem to make it really tight to close the sliding roof door, is there still room for the iso-top?

That’s certainly a worry for me, as mine’s quite tight already but maxandcali seem to be okay with theirs and the new canvas.

That’s certainly a worry for me, as mine’s quite tight already but maxandcali seem to be okay with theirs and the new canvas.

Has been fine so far for us - but I do this the bungee (£10 or so in club shop, but maybe cheaper elsewhere), helps keep it tight and away from the mechanisms. I could post a video of the roof closing with the iso-top in if that’d be helpful? We’re camping at the moment.

Has been fine so far for us - but I do this the bungee (£10 or so in club shop, but maybe cheaper elsewhere), helps keep it tight and away from the mechanisms. I could post a video of the roof closing with the iso-top in if that’d be helpful? We’re camping at the moment.

That would be fab, thank you. I’ve got the bungee in place already. I’d really like to see the roof coming down with it on and the sliding panel above the driver seat shutting. You have probably figured out the best way to fold the bellows at the front in order to shut the slider but mine is really tight!

Hope you’re having a great time and staying toasty with your iso-top!

Here we go...

Cali roof closing with ISO-TOP fitted inside

Closing the shutter with ISO-TOP inside (took a bit of pushing the material in to fully close).

I'm at the opposite end, time-wise! I had an early version of the Isotop put in when I bought my van nearly 12 years ago, and I'm so glad I did. The velcro strip at the bottom is starting to come away a bit, bit it's easy to fix with some double-sided carpet tape. The velcro tabs halfway along the top came away a few years ago, but all that means is that the liner dips down a bit in the middle - not a disaster. It certainly still keeps out the worst of wind, damp and light, and doesn't need to be unhooked to bring the roof down. A great investment - even in those days!

Here we go...

Cali roof closing with ISO-TOP fitted inside

Closing the shutter with ISO-TOP inside (took a bit of pushing the material in to fully close).

Thank you; this is what I needed to see. Hope you’ve had a fabulous Christmas and enjoy the New Year

Hi all you isotoppers. Thanks to Matt BW for a fantastic installation vid and maxandcali for their supplements too. I think this is the way to go for us too but have a question: When it’s raining and the outer canvas gets wet does the Isotop get wet too?

Hi all you isotoppers. Thanks to Matt BW for a fantastic installation vid and maxandcali for their supplements too. I think this is the way to go for us too but have a question: When it’s raining and the outer canvas gets wet does the Isotop get wet too?

Isotop stays 100% dry on the inside (like a Goretex jacket).The fabric is breathable so will only let moisture through one way. So even if the outer canvas is soaked, you can still close the roof and roof mattress will stay dry; Just remember to open the roof on the next dry day when you get home to properly dry the canvas.

We also have the new Isotop VI, and having fitted it over Christmas it's really made a huge difference.
We were waiting for most of last year for the new version of the Isotop to come out as our cali early on last year came with the full drop down poo top front which is great.

In terms of fitting, like maxandcali we ran a heater in the van to warm up prior to applying the stick on velcro, and then left for several days before fitting the canvas.
Fit seemed pretty good. A bit tight at the rear corners initially to get in but seems to be holding fine now it's in. I migh adjust a bit when I get some time to do so.

The bigger velcro tabs at the top at the front (5 of them for the isotop Vi) are notoriously hard to get into place, but the advice from various sources to use a couple smooth thin laminated credit card sized cards (i used some old plastic membership cards we didn't use anymore) really helped as if you put the cards in 1st, then push the velcro tabs in place between them (it's still quite a push), it then allows you to not only push the velcro in, but also adjust them if necessary. Once you're happy with placement, remove the cards gently and the tabs will very much stay put.

In terms of dropping the roof, the recommendation in the instructions is to drop the whole front section of the ISO-Top.. the zip down front and roll it up. One time I found is that if you roll this front section up too tight, and place it wrong in the root, then the pop-top front right or left can not come down fully, so just watch out for that. We've now started rolling that front piece up much more loosely so it's not so bulky height wise.
Pushing it back into the sliding shutter finally is a bit more fiddly, but so far we've found that's actually fine.

Obviously we've not had the Isotop for long so we'll see how it copes long term, but so far so good for the Version VI. On the odd day out in the cold, just being able to put the roof up and not having to faff about with anything outside is great.