Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

blistering paintwork on the roof fairing panel

C

cally

VIP Member
Hi. Anyone out there having this problem ?

VW have agreed to replace the panel, which is a very big procedure I'm told. However the dealer can't get the panel because they are in short supply which isn't helping.

The blisters aren't too bad and are at the sides of the panel. I suggested that they repair rather than replace it, which I would be happy with. It's Aluminium though and will require special treatment if repaired. I think if done expertly, I'm sure a good repair will sort the problem for the long term which will save the whole roof being taken apart just to replace a panel that may suffer the same fate in the future.

I wonder if the dealear prefers the replacement option because it's more lucrative ?

Cheers
Cally.

Hi cally. I think that one of our members Barry has had a similar problem
I'm sure he will be on here later to let you know hie experience's with it. :thumb

Several people on the FB site have had this problem & has been replace under warranty.
Problem with aluminium is it is porous & if it gets any moisture whilst being panted it will eventually bubble. Think of alloy wheels.
Aluminium needs to be 'etched' to get paint to stick to it.

I would let them replace the panel rather than repair.

Thanks for the information gentlemen, much appreciated !
I wonder if anyone who has had the repair could let me have their comments regarding the quality of the job and how long the dealer took to complete it.

Cheers.
Cally

I had this problem, listers of Coventry repaired it and it took a week to fix. That was in July 2009 just before warranty expired, no problems since

HI Johntowes46

I'm pleased you've not had problems since yours was repared. Just to be clear, did you have the panel relpaced or just painted ? Having had a very close look at where the panel is jointed to the rest of the parts on the roof gutter,the factory finish is very neat. If yours was replaced was the finish as good as the original ?

Cally :thanks

It was only repaired, thank god, and the body shop were not keen on taking panel off and replacing it. But they did a good job.

I think I'll talk to the dealer again and pursue the paint repair option. thank you for your comments.
Cheers.
Cally.

I have this problem on my 06 Cali, took to dealers in November they reported to VW, who have refused to cover it under the paint/bodywork warranty. I have since sent 2 e-mails and a letter to customer care and have had no response. Dealer said if they repaired it they could not garauntee it, so maybe this is why they prefer replacement. If they are offering I would take it, looks like I will have to pay £360 with no garauntee it wont re appear!

I think that's good advice MrB.

In your case, provided they make a careful repair and with all the requirements for Aluminium it should be fine.
I suggest you also get advice from a reputable independent body shop since the dealer can't warranty their repair. I think you'll get a much cheaper quote.

Cally

Hi,

I have blistering paint on my 2010 California roof fairing too and took it to my local VW commercial dealer, who took photo's and sent a report to VW Technical department. They agreed to have the panel repaired at a VW approved paint shop under warranty. They had my California for four days only to come back and say they wanted to remove the panel to media blast and paint which would take up to ten days, they are waiting to hear back from VW to authorise the work.

I am worried they seem not to have done this before and are going to repair the existing panel instead of replacing it and as stated earlier will it be as good as the factory finish.

Has anyone had any more experiences since the last post on this subject? Any advice would be great, especially anyone who's had the same problem sorted in the Nottingham area.

Cheers in advance src67

Hi SRC67

We have the same issue on a 2011 Cali. Reported it a couple of weeks back and I'm still waiting to hear from the van centre/VW. I think if I am told it will take 10 days I will be talking to VW direct about a they type of loan vehicle I get. Van centres seem to offer panel van durring repairs which considering their core customer is understandable. That is fine for a day but not really acceptable for nearly 2 weeks.

I'm telling myself I just have to have faith that the job will be up to standand. Looking at other forums they seem to get there in the end even if the journey is a bit rocky for some.

Hi,

I have just had my roof repaired due to blistering of the paintwork. The blistering happened on both sides of the roof at the front. Although my Cali is 3 months out of warranty, the work was covered under warranty. Basically, VW said that if the blistering is from within, then it is a defect and covered, but if it is due to exposing the paintwork due to a stone chip then it is not.

Given the blistering was on the roof, the paint surfaced had not cracked, it had to be a defect. I was also told that this is due to a design fault of the Cali. At the front of the roof, the water collects and doesn't fully drain away.

As mentioned in another post, the front part of the roof is welded on so, removing would be a big job .

The VW body shop had my Cali for two days, and "simply" stripped down the roof and re-sprayed. If the blisters come back, which feasibly they could, they would still be covered under warranty as any worked carried out by the VW body shop is covered for a further 3 years.

I would recommend all Cali owners check their roof for pain blisters, specifically in the corner where the roof meets the door as this is where the water collects. It was only by chance that I spotted mine, if I hadn't who knows what would have happened.

Thanks
David

dlewisjo

I believe all VW vehicles have a 12 paint warranty so even if your standard warranty has expired they should cover this.

Hi, :thanks Everyone for the info,

I guess I'm going to have to trust them to do a good job, they still haven't got back to me and that's two weeks now, think I'll have to give them a call this morning. I hadn't thought about a courtesy vehicle but I can't see them getting me a California as a replacement, I think I'll be happy if it comes back painted the right colour ;)

Cheers and Happy Campering!

No reason why they should not give you loan of a caddy. That's what I'm getting on Tuesday when mine goes in for warranty work. Mind you I had ato as for it, was not offered.

have had mine repaired under warrantee (in fact twice as I had the front roof panel & the back corners of the roof with the same prob) by approved paint shop (who were useless & really bad service) I got a courtesy car from them.

After 6 months the problem is back - awaiting VW comments on it... dont want to use the same paint shop so could be a problem!

Unfortunately I discovered today whilst washing my Cali that I have joing this select group of folk with blistering on the panel in front of the roof. Not impressed to say the least ! I will keep an eye on it & eventually get it done on warranty.

Andy.
Do yourself a big favour and arrange for the dealer to see the corrosion asap.
If the corrosion is minimal at this stage then you will probably get VW authorisation to get it repaired instead of replaced.
I allowed the dealer to drag their feet on the subject by which time VW insisted on replacement.
My experience was not a happy one. The job had to be done twice and with associated problems the job took about 5 weeks.
Most dealers don't have their own VW approved bodyshop and so they naturally sub contact the job out to one. In my experience these places are totally inept. As a result they let both me and the dealer down big time.
Keep on top of the situation and if possible choose a dealer who has had previous experience with this particular problem. :thumb

Andy

I feel for you. It is quite a sinking fealing when you first discover them.

I agree with Cally if for no other reason the t&cs of the warrentee state that you advise them as soon a problem is discovered. I hope I am lucky that the dealership I'm local too has a VW approved paintshop onsite but then again I don't think they see Cali's that often. The service supervisior assures me they they are Cali trained so I will wait and see.

Either way this problem on a 2011 Cali is not ideal buy a long way.

Cally: Are you happy with the end result dispite the problems along the way?

Michael B

I'm happy with the finished result NOW (in fact it's spot on) but I think that's only because I spent a lot of time and fuel making 60 mile round trips to and from the dealer to keep checking the work....fortunately the dealer was quite transparent in letting me see the work done in it's various stages after the original cock-up by the approved body shop who didn't have a clue as to how to achieve a professional finish, nor did they know how to treat the vehicle with any respect.....numerous dirty hand and boot marks on the interior, which meant a lot more work for the dealer to sort out. Thanks to them for that though. (Mind you, it IS a big job, ALL the roof has to come off AND the interior lining of the forward cabin and side panels).
There are certain repair bulletins issued by VW which means that the finished job is different by virtue of the fact that the panel is sealed neatly everywhere to avoid water ingress and the black sections of the awning rails are repositioned slightly to avoid water collection which, of course, is where the problem originates. The new panels have considerably more paint on them than the original too.
Fingers crossed that there will be no more problems, but having read on the forum that some people ARE having repeat problems I'll be keeping a very close eye on the van.

avoid water collection which, of course, is where the problem originates.

I don't think this is not where it starts.... Aluminium is a porous metal, when painted I believe it has to be etched first then painted. If any moisture is on it when etched then it will eventually blister (alloy wheels are the same). This is a blister, not damage... chip or scratch.

Don't really want my Cali taken to pieces, heard stories of them never being the same again !

Sounds like VERY good inspection when collecting it before accepting the job is needed.

On our German board we had up to now about 50 Calis with corrosion problems in this area:

That is not good, this seems to be big problem.

Despite hAving many problems with my local approved repairer if I want my repair fixed (again) I would have to take the vehicle back to them (something I am notnwillingnto do as their service was so bad)

It's definitely a common problem!

Back