Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blind on sliding door won't fully retract

CaliforniaDAN

CaliforniaDAN

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi I am away camping at the moment and the blind only retracts 2/3 way up. Does anyone have any idea how to get it to retract fully. It is a pain to keep ducking as I get in and out of my Cali? Any help gratefully appreciated.

drmw1335 said:
Hi I am away camping at the moment and the blind only retracts 2/3 way up. Does anyone have any idea how to get it to retract fully. It is a pain to keep ducking as I get in and out of my Cali? Any help gratefully appreciated.

I've had this on my passenger window. Sometimes the grooves need a bit of a clean - you can also give it a bit of a push and it sometimes goes up. Pull it down and push it up also might help.

let us know

James

If you open the door, and stand outside. Pull the blind down to it's lowest position and it will sit in the base of the guides. Then grip the blind materiel with yours hands one either side of it (imagine you are clapping) and then pull the remainder of the material off the roller and you can then hopefully allow it to retract of it's own accord.

We had exactly the same problem and had it replaced under warranty by SMG, it now glides up and down with ease.

Wow guys 3 replies in one hour and 17 views shows we are all looking out for each other!

I have pulled the blind down to the bottom, and pulled both sides to fully extend the blind and it has retracted fully, albeit very slowly. My Cali is in for service at the end of the month so I will sart a list of little niggly faults.

Thanks for all your advice I can now watch the rest of Secret State on my MacBook Pro!

Stu's advice is spot on if you need to get the blind back up. A bit involved to replace that side blind, but not too bad.

cheers and good luck

I had mine replaced under warranty but 6 months down the line its probably worse than it was before.
Beware if you have it replaced as they broke one of the pillar covers on mine when doing it which involved another visit to change.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Just an update, the blind again would not retract fully and all methods tried to get it to retract failed. My Cali is in for its first service bang on being 2 years old, I asked my dealer to check and they confirm it is broken so on order to be replaced.

Once again thanks for your help and tips

Been having similar issues with mine and it was on the first trip away to :censor its in with VW as we speak, as you mentioned it is on with a few other little faults. finger crossed no other damaged is caused while they do it. I did take lots of photo to check it against on its return to ensure all is back as it should be.

SteveW said:
Been having similar issues with mine and it was on the first trip away to :censor its in with VW as we speak, as you mentioned it is on with a few other little faults. finger crossed no other damaged is caused while they do it. I did take lots of photo to check it against on its return to ensure all is back as it should be.

Annoyingly mine has got a lot worse, we're away in it at the moment and have just spent about 10 minutes trying to get it back up including stu's method which didn't help unfortunately.
Has anybody removed the trims and blind themselves and tried lubricating it?
It's doubly annoying as i asked the dealer to look at it when it was still under warranty and they said there was nothing wrong with it.
Anybody know how much it costs to replace out of warranty?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I rubbed some candle wax on to the strings that the bottom of the blind glides on (copying a trick I used to use with old Georgian sash windows!) Worked a treat.

Mine took a lot of fiddling with to get it back up from new. After a couple of years the rubber door seal started to come off at the top around the blind. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the blind unit as it was faulty / broken / fitted incorrectly. My advice is not to wait 2 years - take it back.

:headbang :headbang ....yes... :lol: :lol: ....I am yet another owner stricken by 'blindness'! :laugh2 ...bad joke, sorry!

All my blinds 'seem' ok on my brand new Cali...but...the rear side one in the boot space goes up and down, but won't stay locked down. There seems to be a small black plastic tab at the bottom near the sliding door side, that the other blinds don't seem to have, so I am thinking that that black plastic part is loose and needs clipping into place at the bottom. But don't want to try that until I know that it is wrong. Any ideas anyone?
Also when the blind is raised, that particular rear window seems to slope at the top so the blind is at its upper limit at the rear of the window but is about 10mm out/down at the front ( the corner near the sliding door) I can clip it up into the recess when it's up, but is this correct or is it maybe part of the problem? I'm off driving from Southern Spain up to Germany tomorrow so maybe I should get it looked at in Germany...as the guys here would almost certainly break trim and just make it worse. It's a shame to say that, but it seems to be true! Oh for SMG in Spain! LOL

Thanks all! :thanks

Too slow.... :laugh2 :laugh2 ....I have fixed the problem! :cool

Black piece I was seeing is meant to be IN the rod that you pull the blind down with and it had somehow come out and was at the bottom. Lifted the good side a little higher and it slipped right back in and works a treat! :cool

Lets see if I now have the 'usual' problems that these blinds seem to have! :D

Bye!

I still reckon that - once everything is where it should be - lubricating the strings in the recesses at the sides solves all the blind problems.

We hired before buying and the dealer used silicon spray on various parts of the cali (new) before giving it to us. The wardrobe worked a treat.

Not sure if it would help here.

I've had 2 of my blinds replaced 3 times under warranty.

1st, because they would creep up at night.
2nd, because after the replacement they were too tight and wouldn't roll up properly
3rd, because the 2nd one didn't help.

It was easy to see why they were too tight and it looked like an easy fix as the plastic over the pillar wasn't fitted properly, but for some reason they wanted to re-fit the whole blind again....

Rob.

Re: Blind on sliding door won't stay down

I seem to have the opposite problem to the 'blind on sliding door won't go back up' issue. When I pull the blind down fully, it glides back up a couple of inches. I had a bit of a play with it yesterday, and couldn't find an easy fix.

Obviously it is not ideal in terms of privacy / sun in the eyes in the morning. The only solution so far is to hang a bag from the tab on the bottom to keep it down, which is obviously not ideal.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Thanks,
Simon

Blast :(

Sorry, I forgot to look at page 2 of this thread, otherwise I would have seen that replacement was the recommended option.