Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike racks and towbar max load

apforrest

apforrest

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi all,

Can someone clear up what the max load is for the towbar that comes fitted from VW on the T6.1? I see mixed responses across the forums.

I'd like to get Atera STRADA DL 3 with the extension for the 4th bike but concerned it's going to be over the limit; whatever the limit is.

I found the following in the manual which talks of load capacities being between 55kg and 75kg, but then I also see others on the forum saying 100kg.

Any clarity/definitive answer and/or explanation will help much.

Thanks

IMG_20240410_180632.JPG

That is strange. On my T5.2 it's 100kg.
bandenmaten.jpg
As it states on remark for 14.1: with trailer: +100kg.
This means that the total weight of the bike rack including bikes is 100kg, keeping in mind the leverage effect, where the length of the bike rack means more than the total weight of the bike rack including bikes.
But let's say: 20 kg for the bike rack on the towbar + 3x25 (max weight of bikes allowed) = 95kg.
This is really the maximum you can put on the towbar.
Of course there is no way that the towbar or the van will suffer from more weight than that 95kg, but for legal and insurance reasons, I would stay under the max weight.

It also looks like you have a booklet from an ID.BUZZ? According to the picture?
That weight will be much less.

The reference to page 407 on that picture is where you need to reference the tables that follow after that page for the engine/vehicle type that you have. On those tables there is a field called "maximum drawbar weight" or something along those lines which is for the maximum weight allowable on the towbar.

I think for most/all of them it is 100kg, it certainly is for my July 2023 beach tour. The brochure when ordering at that time also references a 100kg trailer nose weight for all californias.

This means that the nose weight of the trailer, or the total weight of a bike rack plus bikes etc. is 100kg.

*Edit to add, looking at that table on the original picture it says if the drawbar load of 75+ then they recommend a limit of 75kg for a carrier system.

I would interpret that as being a recommendation rather than an absolute limit. I think the limit would be the 100kg total drawbar load, but vw recommend only maxing to 75kg with a cycle carrier.

Last edited:
Don't confuse the Towbar Maximum and the Tower Bike Rack Maximum.

Most Towbar Bike Racks have a maximum load capacity ie: Bicycles , of 60 Kgms

So the Towbar would be carrying 60Kgm + the Bike Rack weight - generally around 15/20Kgms.

BUT, unlike Trailer or Caravan nose weight which is directly on the Towbar Ball the actual weight of a Towbar Bike Rack + Bikes will depend on the depth of the Rack and the weight distribution of the bicycles, so the heavier bikes should be next to the vehicle and lighter bikes next.

The

Atera STRADA DL 3 weighs 14.5Kgm​