Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack fell off - can i put it back on myself?

B

Ben1980

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello - just backed my California into another van and the bike rack (which was folded up, with no bikes on) hit the car behind, and then completely fell off my van.

Rest assured we’ve done the right thing re telling the neighbours etc.

My question is this: the rack itself seem completely fine and intact and seems to have almost ‘popped’ off the back none of the fixing points are broken as far as I can see. Should I just be able to reattach it? Or is that something a professional needs to do for me?

Thanks in advance

As long as the 4 x fixing points aren’t damaged then just pop it back on yourself. Very straightforward, loosen the 2 x bolts on the bottom fixings, hook the top ones over the top of the tailgate and then tighten the bottom ones up - there’s a torque tool provided to do this but don’t worry if you haven’t got it just don’t overtighten. If it stays on securely all is good. Certainly don’t need to be paying anyone to do it.

Hello - just backed my California into another van and the bike rack (which was folded up, with no bikes on) hit the car behind, and then completely fell off my van.

Rest assured we’ve done the right thing re telling the neighbours etc.

My question is this: the rack itself seem completely fine and intact and seems to have almost ‘popped’ off the back none of the fixing points are broken as far as I can see. Should I just be able to reattach it? Or is that something a professional needs to do for me?

Thanks in advance

Hi Ben. I think you should be able to do it on your own. I had to change my protection stickers few weeks back. They wasn’t attached properly from the dealer so I bought new ones and changed them. Easy job. Just make sure you don’t overtight bolts.

Thanks both - really helpful. One further question: Not sure I can lay my hands on the torque tool (unsure what it looks like tbh) - are these easy enough to buy? Or can I use something else?

Thanks

I'm not sure what torx bit it is t30 maybe
If you have the right bit with a long extender its easy.