Biggest VW campers test

• Thread starter inthemidnighthour
  • Start date
inthemidnighthour

inthemidnighthour

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
In the December issue of MMM (motorcaravan motorhome nonthly) they have their biggest test of elevating roof VW T5 campers,12 in total .In the promo picture of all the campers i can see a Cali roof ! it will be interesting to see the results :clap

dave and lisa :D

When is it out? I will bet they love the Cali but will slag off the fridge and the lack of an oven or grill.

It's actually the sister magazine to Motorhome Monthly, Which Motorhome which has the big group test.
It's in the newsagents now.

I normally buy them as a value pack (both mags together for a reduced price)

Hubert

got it today £3.50 on its own , which motorhome , cali did not win test but was in final 3 or so

Yup Which Motorhome. I got it yesterday.

Sadly it just makes me want a Cali even more. What with household extension going on i'm just setting myself up for an impossible mission saving for the Dub.

ROB said:
got it today £3.50 on its own , which motorhome , cali did not win test but was in final 3 or so

I read the conclusion -when taken in context with the bit in the separate boxout - to be: If money is no object buy the Cali. If money is an object and you want new buy a conversion. If you're not bothered about new just buy a secondhand Cali.

Need to also consider the companies that advertise in the magazine, a lot of conversion companies - but not VW. In round terms the Cali came out top on quality and residuals, but not very well on the old Chinese term 'much cheapness'

I've not read the article but I don't get this money no object = Cali stuff".

I priced up loads of conversions before buying a California and I thought the price differences were minimal, especially as loads of the conversions are based on low spec vans. I was gobsmacked at the price of some of these conversions at way over £40K.

I had a really nice reimo T5 conversions before my Califoria but in my opionion there is no comparison. The only argument I get is the long wheel base one.

I don't think the money no object argument is valid either because other than lacking a grill or oven the Cali smashes the conversions spec for pound wise. But nonetheless I feel they keep coming back to price all the time, rather than what you actually get for your money.

Had a quick look at the group test in WH Smith's today. I remember similar tests 5 years ago when we bought our California. Then as now I feel the reviews contain flaws. In both cases the California involved was near the top of the range with £1000s of pounds of extras not included on the other vans. Obviously the California then doesnt compare well on the price front,. If a standard model with a few extras (metallic paint, awning maybe) was included the price 'issue' would largely disappear. Secondly while the reviewers comment on the build quality, this and many of the standard features arent given the weighting they warrant. The california is a true 4 berth, with 2 full size beds , and two front seat swivels, not always the case elsewhere. The practicality of the blinds, the sliding table and the second table / chairs in the tailgate really come to the fore when camping. Fair enough the fridge may not be as practical, but it does the job, and to be honest I am not convinced a 3-way fridge is worth the extra cost of the additional gas servicing required. And yes there is no grill, but often these arent true kitchen spec grills and we manage with a toaster and a remorska (other electric slow cookers are available). In the last 5-6 years the california has forced the other converters to up their game, the base vehicles are certainly better specced now than they were 5 years ago, but I think the california is still some way ahead in terms of the conversion itself.

Just caught up with this. Always nice to read a review that tells us we've made a good choice!

Also good to see Rolling Homes getting a five star rating. We climbed all over one of their vans at the Western Motorhome Show in Malvern this year and loved it. Very similar to the Cali in layout, but very different - though equally clever - in its light-weight wood construction. Mrs ChrisandPenney says it definitely has a better rear cabinet design.

My head was almost turned ...

Obviously the tester was only about 5' tall!

Have a look at the pop-top on the rolling-home. It may have a 2m long mattress but it virtually hinges from the back (vs the Cali that lifts about 350mm). This may seem a small detail, until you use it, and find you can only use 3/4 of the length.

I understand why converters can sell 'non-Cali' layouts (rear kitchen etc) but I'm afraid I don't understand why any one wanting a Cali layout would buy anything other than a Cali.

(And I'm not a modern Cali owner. I need a different layout).

Standard SCA roof with scissor hinges at the back. Possibly not as high as the Cali at the back, but higher at the front. I didn't climb up and stick my size 9's in to test it but it looked fine to me when I looked at it from the inside.

I've size 12's and am 6' 4" so particularly sensitive to the issue!
In this respect the Cali roof wins by a mile. Reimo are next, SCA definitely 3rd. There is a link to a which report on rolling-homes' website with a good photo.
I know the latest SCA roofs are very well trimmed inside, but they need to sort the rear hinges out.

I'm sure one of the Hillside Leisure vans had that roof at the NEC show last month, there was definitely one there with the triangulated gas struts above the tailgate. Looked quite sturdy. It may have been the same one that had a quality upper bed frame too with a slatted base just like a Cali, rather than the basic hinged boarding that most conversion roof beds seem to be made of.

SCA deluxe is the Cali roof in all but electrics, isnt it? The standard uses lower hinges, amongst other things, but it is cheaper... you pays your money

Just read the Which report and all the vans are great! ..... but to me one of the most important points about a Cailfornia is that it is a California ... the name has such a history of quality and pedigree the world over. The name is iconic and conjurers up sun sand sea and fun.

I just noticed the extras on that Cali... no wonder the price is so high :crazy Bit silly of VW to supply one with that spec, it was bound to tick the wrong boxes on equipment e.g. Leather, Xenons, 18" upgrade, Nav & get slated on price - it's WMH not T4/5 Magazine :D

One thing they forget to mention is the discounts which are around, if you're prepared to wait (DtD etc) or buy nearly-new. Discounts dont seem to be so forthcoming at conversion Co's, esp the good ones who have a backlog of builds and no slots left. Although one I'm talking with does get some money off new prices.

Never fails to amaze me just how many UK companies convert T5s, to (almost) all budgets. These 12 were just a section of the one's I've looked at. Even if they're not your cup of tea, you have to admire the work and effort put in.

Editors final comment re finding the nearly-new Cali for sale being "seriously tempting" was interesting for me. I've not bought yet, but think we're all but decided on a Cali (thanks in part to the guys on here with their great support and advice!)

Andy

Who cares what magazines think - if it is the right van for you that is all that matters.

James

I think the point about discounts by converters is very valid as they seemed reluctant to talk about it and one in particular when asked about discounts said I could make it cheaper by not choosing metallic paint. Leisure drive were great value and a special offer they had would convert a van for just over £10k with awning / oven , heater , pop roof etc etc. but I would have to source a used van for the best deal ( they make both ends otherwise). So I was still looking at £31k+ for what would be a second hand vehicle with a new conversion and a 102bhp one at that. It's not a insignificant amount of money extra to get a Cali but once you look at discounts in the region of 10% available from Drive the Deal etc and even dealers, it's a much closer comparison than it looks at first.

So I'm on countdown now as I have build date of week 49 so looking at an early Jan pick-up. Even got my Cali-topper for that winter first outing .

Also worth a mention ,just got an email from drive the deal saying VW are increasing prices from Dec 1st . Anyone know how this affects Cali prices.

John

If yours is already on order, they should honour the price. They did with ours..

John, I'm on the DtD list too, having found out exactly what you have. I spoke to them today and they anticipate "couple of percent" for the Cali, but they did confirm that placing an order before 29th Nov will lock the quoted price in, as Californiaman says.

Looks like I'm being tipped over the edge, an 18-22 week wait is gonna seem forever! Just have to persuade the wife that this is the best way forward lol

Andy

I will have only waited 10 weeks by the time I collect so 18 seems a lot . So unless there has been a rush on for pre-season delivery I would have thought it should be quicker for you.
I have not been contacted by the dealer so hopefully the price is fixed but even a couple of percent is the differance between beans or beef for a month or six. :lol:

Back