Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bi Colour Dakar Problem - Check your wheels people!!

S

Stu

Guest User
Many of you may have heard of the sadly common term of whitework on alloy wheels. Tends to affect wheels which are machine faced (sometimes known as diamond cut) and clear lacquered.

Well whilst washing the van today I noticed I appear to have an infestation on one wheel.

Something else to battle with the VW warranty over. :headband

This is an extreme case on a GTI wheel

WhiteWorm.jpg

image-15-06-14-12-17.jpeg

I had this issue on my wife's BMW 1-series that was 2 years old. They replaced the full set of wheels under warranty without a problem. Why do I think it won't be that simple with VW?

dex14 said:
Why do I think it won't be that simple with VW?

............ because you are equally as cynical as me :mrgreen:

I suspect they will replace one but not all of them until they show signs.

I try to be positive, but in the case of these polished alloys I fear my glass may be half empty.

I had 17" Le Man alloys on my old VW EOS, and this was the only time I had bad service from VW:

- Got the "Bird Poo" type corrosion
- Raised issue with VW
- Apparently the "Wheel Assessor" only available on certain days, so book in with him/her
- Arrive for assessment - they didn't turn up
- Rebook!
- Assessor appears to be one of the regular mechanics - looks at the wheels to try and find any other marks.

If you have a mark on the edge of the wheel - that will invalidate the warranty - even if the corrosion you are complaining about is no where near the scuff.

In the end they agreed to replace one of my wheels, even though all 4 were showing corrosion.

In the end I just got the refurbished to a standard "non-polished" finish and they looked cool. The refinisher says they get this problem from most manufactures

Moral of the story - I will not be buying polished wheels again.

T

I know what you mean T, the VW Golf boys have been struggling with them for years.

Alex at SMG is dealing with it for me so I'm certain he will do his best to assist.

Checked the wheels again earlier as Alex asked for more pictures and noticed another is also showing signs. Luckily my wheels are in great condition and always well looked after.

They will be looking for scuffs and stone chips. One of mine was genuinely my fault (kerb :-( ), but the others we just stone chips.

To be fair - I have always had excellent care from VW on the Van and the car, apart from this issue.

Back