Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best way to get wireless connection in Europe

I am on Three, monthly setup, I get 12gb a month for about £17 including calls and free texts. I stopped using my mifi as it was easier to just use my iphone in hotspot mode.
hotspot is OK if you have only one device to connect (unless you know different) but if like me you have two phones, a computer and an iPad a MiFi is better.

I am on Three, monthly setup, I get 12gb a month for about £17 including calls and free texts. I stopped using my mifi as it was easier to just use my iphone in hotspot mode.

I was just looking at this idea but you can't use your phone and inclusive data as a hotspot whilst abroad can you?

hotspot is OK if you have only one device to connect (unless you know different) but if like me you have two phones, a computer and an iPad a MiFi is better.

Hotspot via iPhone allows multiple connections / devices.

However as the original question was about connection abroad, tethering from the phone isn't supported (at least on my Three contract) so this is no use.

I have a MiFi unit, when I went to France last year I brought a SIM monthly Data Plan from Three, you can cancel them very easily, think it was £15 a month or something.

Hotspot via iPhone allows multiple connections / devices.

However as the original question was about connection abroad, tethering from the phone isn't supported (at least on my Three contract) so this is no use.

I have a MiFi unit, when I went to France last year I brought a SIM monthly Data Plan from Three, you can cancel them very easily, think it was £15 a month or something.
Thanks for another part of the jigsaw :thumb

I have never tried to connect multiples but I do have a wifi extender too which can also be used to connect multiple devices to one FON spot for example.

I can also put the SIM in my mifi if I want I guess. :)

I was just looking at this idea but you can't use your phone and inclusive data as a hotspot whilst abroad can you?
No roaming charges with Three, I can use my entire allowance anywhere. My understanding is with unlimited plans that you can only use a small amount per month roaming. About 2gb I seem to recall.

No roaming charges with Three, I can use my entire allowance anywhere. My understanding is with unlimited plans that you can only use a small amount per month roaming. About 2gb I seem to recall.

Pretty sure you can't use Tethering / Hot Spot on phone when abroad / roaming.

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI...cat=roaming,varset_subcat=4147,Case=obj(4145)

Aha

You can use the internet in other countries, but you'll be charged standard international roaming rates for using data, unless you’re in a Feel At Home destination. In this case, if you have a data allowance as part of your UK price plan or an Add-on providing you with a data allowance, your data use will come out of your inclusive allowance. If you use your allowances, you'll still benefit from lower-than-usual roaming rates. Find out more about Feel At Home.

In addition to my earlier post, I have a setup with 3 (three) including 3 phones, 1 tablet and a MiFi sharing data as "Feel At Home", that BTW is called "3 Like Home" here. So we can share data across the devices in 43 countries: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Whole EU and USA + some extra bits. And each device can use 10 GB pr. month – shared we have 50 GB data to use a month when outside Denmark. Sufficient for us.

Anyway - today I got a email from them, recommending I downgraded my subscriptions based on the usage the passed 3 month. So now I only pay. 550 kr. pr. month. Only 74 € for the whole lot. Great service!

So far I am really satisfied with the solution, and dont need to spend time on getting local SIM cards and all.

Pretty sure you can't use Tethering / Hot Spot on phone when abroad / roaming.
Managed to do that in Switzerland on EE Pay as You Go. Have to buy a Data Top Up for use abroad, but can only pair 1 device.

I bought a UK 3 sim card from amazon.co.uk preloaded with 12GB of data for 12 months. It works ok in Sweden but in Germany I didn't get any contact with it at all.
Silly question maybe, but can these 3 cards be topped up at the same price or should I buy a new one every year from amazon?
You won't be able to Top Up at the cheap rate, only standard rate lasting 30 days. Cheaper just to buy new sims as and when.

From 3 . Should work in all these countries. Interesting fact, when in Italy, on the coast I could connect via my 3 MiFi, receive emails and use What's App and iMessage but not surf the WWW.

IMG_0222.PNG

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI...cat=roaming,varset_subcat=4147,Case=obj(4145)

Aha

You can use the internet in other countries, but you'll be charged standard international roaming rates for using data, unless you’re in a Feel At Home destination. In this case, if you have a data allowance as part of your UK price plan or an Add-on providing you with a data allowance, your data use will come out of your inclusive allowance. If you use your allowances, you'll still benefit from lower-than-usual roaming rates. Find out more about Feel At Home.

Luckily you got in before they changed the terms and conditions by the looks of things...

4th point down...

fullsizeoutput_73e.jpeg

Lots of really useful info here - have bookmarked for when we have our first trip to Europe.

For the time being we use our iPhones, or iPads tethered to our phones, when we have signal, as we have loads of inclusive but never used monthly data on our phone plans.

For wifi we use the site wifi if its available (and there's no decent 3G/4G). I've set up a TP-Link nano router (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TQEX8BO/?tag=eliteelect-21) in the van (runs from a 12v USB adapter) in WISP mode - this means the TP-Link router connects to the site wifi as a single device (as you're only allowed one device usually if you're paying for the connection), and then our iPhones/iPads/laptops connect to the TP-Link hotspot and we can all use the same connection.

We have used a My Webspot in France, Spain, Malta etc it seems to work brilliantly with 4g even in the most remote areas and easily copes with multiple devices, iPads etc etc attached to it.really fast have been very happy with it

My smartphone supplier in the UK is 3UK. I can use my smartphone for tethering in my home country; UK. I can't do tethering it whilst travelling outside the UK. I buy amother sum from 3UK and insert it into my MIFI so I can use the laptop in Europe. I am going to cancel my current sim and go for the Amazon 3UK as mentioned in an earlier post. Brilliant! I might also ring and speak to the Motohome WIFI about the booster. Such great advice on this Forum!

I got a Huawei Mobil Router that delivers 3G/4G in all europe on flatrate roaming. I use it as a hot spot WiFi in the car. Its from 3 (phone company). Maybe some phone company have the same offer in UK? Besides both my iPhone and iPad (i use as a navi and on board computer) also has SIM with the same flatrate. I have around 600 GB data pr. month in total - more than enough

When I travel to CapeTown for surfing, I normally bring a router and buy a local sim-card for both iPhone and router. That works well to, but not as hassle free.
Agree I use all over the world

We also use a Huawei mifi with a 12 month sim from 3 (although thanks everyone for the tip about the Amazon 2yr option!) and it was brilliant.

Not wanting to sound negative but a few things we learnt were to make sure that you keep it charged if using Google maps as we ended up running out of battery just before we really needed directions! Also make sure you check where you intend to use it as Germany isn't one of their at home destinations so we had to pay extra for an add on bundle to use data in Germany. Also be aware that if you use up your credit you have to be online to top it up so we ended up using EE roaming charge to top up the mifi! We did have both phones, laptop and all 3 children's tablets connected to it for 3 weeks though so was still easier and cheaper than daily roaming charges and using the phones as a Hotspot.

It was also handy for IPlayer downloads. The kids tablets don't like it when not on WiFi at regular intervals to check time zone settings so by keeping them connected IPlayer downloads continued to work where as in the past the downloads have been blocked until we've reconnected to the Internet and time Zone settings updated.

Off to Australia in a few weeks so will be taking it with us to try there.

We also use a Huawei mifi with a 12 month sim from 3 (although thanks everyone for the tip about the Amazon 2yr option!) and it was brilliant.

Not wanting to sound negative but a few things we learnt were to make sure that you keep it charged if using Google maps as we ended up running out of battery just before we really needed directions! Also make sure you check where you intend to use it as Germany isn't one of their at home destinations so we had to pay extra for an add on bundle to use data in Germany. Also be aware that if you use up your credit you have to be online to top it up so we ended up using EE roaming charge to top up the mifi! We did have both phones, laptop and all 3 children's tablets connected to it for 3 weeks though so was still easier and cheaper than daily roaming charges and using the phones as a Hotspot.

It was also handy for IPlayer downloads. The kids tablets don't like it when not on WiFi at regular intervals to check time zone settings so by keeping them connected IPlayer downloads continued to work where as in the past the downloads have been blocked until we've reconnected to the Internet and time Zone settings updated.

Germany is now included in Feel At Home.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

Solwise do a good extender that can be used with high gain antenna for extended range to hotspots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Solwise do a good extender that can be used with high gain antenna for extended range to hotspots.

I have this Solwose kit brand new in the box, never used if anyone wants to make a reasonable offer, or i'll add it in for sale section, just need to take some photos.

It looks like that the Three 24gb data sim from Amazon is no longer available.

Never top up the PAYG sim. Just insert a new PAYG sim.

Edit pls ignore!

Back