Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best Camping Store along A1

Blackbrogue1962

Blackbrogue1962

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Just had the call from Eurovans that my California is arriving tomorrow. This will be our first campervan so need to fully kit it out. Plan will be to drive from Crawley up to Northumberland on the A1 en route to home in Edinburgh shortly after New Year. My question is whether anyone can recommend a well-stocked camping store that we’ll pass on the way North - or any recommendations near to Edinburgh?

Just had the call from Eurovans that my California is arriving tomorrow. This will be our first campervan so need to fully kit it out. Plan will be to drive from Crawley up to Northumberland on the A1 en route to home in Edinburgh shortly after New Year. My question is whether anyone can recommend a well-stocked camping store that we’ll pass on the way North - or any recommendations near to Edinburgh?
The club shop aka Campervan bits is well,worth a visit if you’re “passing”.

Unit 50, M1 Commerce Park, Markham Lane, Duckmanton, Chesterfield, S44 5HS

Campervan bits... Great shop ... Great products... Great people ... Did l mention how great it is

Campervan bits is excellent. If you come up M1 instead of A1, it’s just off 29A. Take M18 at Junction 32 and you are back on the A1 at Doncaster.

….. and remember the club member discount :)

I’m delighted I asked the question as Campervan bits is clearly the place to go and I’ll now plan our return journey with time to call in and stock up! Thanks for all the helpful replies.

For generic camping stuff there are branches of Go-outdoors just off the junction at Westerhope, Newcastle (next to the McDonald's drive thru) and another one south of Berwick, just off the A1 at Scremerston (take the Tweedmouth turnoff just before the main roundabout signposted to Berwick). They usually stock the required gas. You'll need the tap & regulator from Campervanbits.

I always find it quicker to drive home to Durham up the M1 all the way. A1 is for lunatics and don’t bother with the M18, 9/10 you will get caught in traffic somewhere. As mentioned, 29A, club shop.

For generic camping stuff there are branches of Go-outdoors just off the junction at Westerhope, Newcastle (next to the McDonald's drive thru) and another one south of Berwick, just off the A1 at Scremerston (take the Tweedmouth turnoff just before the main roundabout signposted to Berwick). They usually stock the required gas. You'll need the tap & regulator from Campervanbits.
Actually a cracking Go that Westerhope one. Was a great Blockbusters there once too!

Aye. That's a while back though. I had a student job used at the McDonald's. That bit hasn't changed much.

Suggestion: don't overdo the shopping -- your van is compact so everything needs to earn its keep.

You'll need a 907 or 904 gas cylinder. For that the common supplier is Chorley Bottle Gas and I think they give a club discount. Alternatively Russel Gas in town do campingaz and the yellow zinc coated bottles that look pretty good (but can't be exchanged in Europe).

There's a Go Outdoors near Granton.

Some Ikea stuff can be useful.

Try the sleeping stuff you have already on your bed see how it works for you.

Read up on heater operation before going camping. It's common to misunderstand the modes and wind up with a locked out heater. The VW manual is not easy to follow.

The gas Tap & Regulator should be with a new vehicle.

Suggestion: don't overdo the shopping -- your van is compact so everything needs to earn its keep.

You'll need a 907 or 904 gas cylinder. For that the common supplier is Chorley Bottle Gas and I think they give a club discount. Alternatively Russel Gas in town do campingaz and the yellow zinc coated bottles that look pretty good (but can't be exchanged in Europe).

There's a Go Outdoors near Granton.

Some Ikea stuff can be useful.

Try the sleeping stuff you have already on your bed see how it works for you.

Read up on heater operation before going camping. It's common to misunderstand the modes and wind up with a locked out heater. The VW manual is not easy to follow.
This. Experience the van a few times and let that be your purchases guide. I have bought many items that are still sitting in their packaging unused.

Essentials for me:
907 gas bottle
Saucepans with detachable handle
Waste bin that fits in gap behind drivers seat (LHD)
rubber pads to prevent items shifting
carry all trays from Ikea that sit on the floor (I find digging around the cupboards tedious) to store regularly used items
Project Camper thermal cab blinds (in top 3 items)
Folding bike that stores in the boot
Ecoflow Delta 2 as you can never have too much power when wild camping.
Calibed Prestige III has transformed sleeping comfort downstairs.

This. Experience the van a few times and let that be your purchases guide. I have bought many items that are still sitting in their packaging unused.

Essentials for me:
907 gas bottle
Saucepans with detachable handle
Waste bin that fits in gap behind drivers seat (LHD)
rubber pads to prevent items shifting
carry all trays from Ikea that sit on the floor (I find digging around the cupboards tedious) to store regularly used items
Project Camper thermal cab blinds (in top 3 items)
Folding bike that stores in the boot
Ecoflow Delta 2 as you can never have too much power when wild camping.
Calibed Prestige III has transformed sleeping comfort downstairs.
Wise advice and much appreciated!

IKEA sell 1.5 metre wide Duvets & covers which is an ideal size.

Back