Bellows Tearing.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Woe is me. Having avoided catching the bellows in the hinges etc: over many all-year round trips, was away i Devon last weekend when we had a short sharp rainstorm and water came in via the, { looking towards the front of the vehicle } Left lower corner of the bellows. On looking closely the material was more translucent there as if the fibres were pulling apart. The material has quit a gold there when down and maximum tension when the roof is elevated.
The Right lower corner looked to be heading that way as well.
What to do?
1. Painted area with liquid superglue.
2. 4'x3' TearAid applied to outside and similarly to the inside
3. TearAid is quit stretchy so after 24 hrs applied Gorilla Reinforced Gaffer tape onto the TearAid outside and Inside.
4. Repeated same on R Lower corner as well.

Hopefully this will do the job longterm. Now all sealed. Roof up/down no problems with folding etc:

Thought of Darning the split etc: but was afraid the thread would rip out when the roof was at full stretch.

So worth checking those areas occasionally. The material had given rather than the Bellows rubber pulling out of its holder as some have reported.

You´ve probably not been using it enough and the material
has given up. :)
Have you any pics ?

You´ve probably not been using it enough and the material
has given up. :)
Have you any pics ?
Overuse more likely. Only of the Repair. Not much to see now.

Fatigued bellows then.
I trust your repair is symmetrical.
Sounds like you´ve done a proper fix.

Are you sure it was not mice who done this ? Yours been standing still to much.....
:embarrased

If yours has the roofcorrosion , maybe you can change the canvas when the repair gets done....planning on changing mine soon in to a new blue canvas.
Think it's not unusual it wears when used ...but 4y seems not that long.

I’m assuming that the bellows are not covered under your extended warranty?
Didn’t mean to sound facetious- just wondering because I’ve got the same warranty as you. Also wondering what happens if my awning splits again as it was replaced in August 2015 but the manufacturer’s warranty ran out in May. I’ll give them a ring and find out.

I’m assuming that the bellows are not covered under your extended warranty?
I very much doubt it. I’ve used it enough. It’s fixed now. Would be very difficult to prove who/what was responsible.

Are you sure it was not mice who done this ? Yours been standing still to much.....
:embarrased

If yours has the roofcorrosion , maybe you can change the canvas when the repair gets done....planning on changing mine soon in to a new blue canvas.
Think it's not unusual it wears when used ...but 4y seems not that long.
Mice. Not with Max, our cat around.
Might be just under 4 yrs old but I’m afraid it’s used most weekends, all year round, and we rarely spend more than 2/3 days before moving. So the roof has been through a lot of cycles.
If it fails again it will get replaced, otherwise the next owner can have the pleasure.

Hmm,
So the over arching feeling I'm getting and see from most posts is that 4 years, even with good amount of use isn't great.
How much to replace the bellows?
I wonder how the later material will fair?

Hmm,
So the over arching feeling I'm getting and see from most posts is that 4 years, even with good amount of use isn't great.
How much to replace the bellows?
I wonder how the later material will fair?
Oh mine will last a bit longer with the repair. Function over Form or in this case Looks.
I remember a figure of £600 or so fitted but I think the Bellows costs about £250 or so and a possible DIY job.

Back