Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bellow leaking??

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Sorry for asking a silly question. I'm now sorting out spec for my perfect Cali and I've seen a few posts on leaking bellows/canvas?

Which Ocean model does this seem to relate to and is there any specific year?? I only ask as I'm looking at T6.1 around 70 Reg or 21 Reg. I.e all have LED headlamps and digital dashes etc

Aplogies if this has been asked elsewhere as I couldn't find it in a search unless i'm doing it wrong!!! Retirement blues..............

Sorry for asking a silly question. I'm now sorting out spec for my perfect Cali and I've seen a few posts on leaking bellows/canvas?

Which Ocean model does this seem to relate to and is there any specific year?? I only ask as I'm looking at T6.1 around 70 Reg or 21 Reg. I.e all have LED headlamps and digital dashes etc

Aplogies if this has been asked elsewhere as I couldn't find it in a search unless i'm doing it wrong!!! Retirement blues..............
Late 2023 onwards T6.1

Our 6.1 was delivered Feb 2022, so it’s a 21 plate. It’s a single skin bellows, and it’s fine.

1st post on this forum was May 2023.
Yes, but the bellows affected date back way before then. My bellows were manufactured Oct 2022....and leak. I just didn't know they leaked until Sept 2023 when I strep tested them.

It’s basically as soon as they introduced the ‘new improved double skin type’

Thanks for replies so either a 70 plate or a 21 plate should be fine and bombproof???? We always expect rain as 95% hols are north west Scoltand but we are venturing to Ireland at some point as youngest is marrying a Galway girl in August. We'll fly for that but may go later in year on a road trip with her parents who have just bought a camper

Thanks for replies so either a 70 plate or a 21 plate should be fine and bombproof???? We always expect rain as 95% hols are north west Scoltand but we are venturing to Ireland at some point as youngest is marrying a Galway girl in August. We'll fly for that but may go later in year on a road trip with her parents who have just bought a camper
I’ve got a 72 plate reg late Nov 22 and mine are OS2 bellows that don’t leak. You can easily tell the difference as the newer bellows have a cream interior , not grey.

My 'van was built in February this year. It experienced it's first rain last night & leaks - a lot!

View attachment 122569
Thats a serious amount of water. After how long was this photo taken. or is this what you discovered in the morning. What a rude awakening but not surprising. Register a complaint with your dealer and hope VW come up with a definitive solution. I would not get replacement bellows at this point in time as these are also consistently leaking.

Thats a serious amount of water. After how long was this photo taken. or is this what you discovered in the morning. What a rude awakening but not surprising. Register a complaint with your dealer and hope VW come up with a definitive solution. I would not get replacement bellows at this point in time as these are also consistently leaking.
This is what I found this morning. Really not impressed!

Staying at Burnham Deepdale this week, another Cali pulled up beside me, a 23 plate Ocean. They wrapped the pop top in an external Isolite wrap cover. Given the rain, just as well!

My 'van was built in February this year. It experienced it's first rain last night & leaks - a lot!

View attachment 122569
I agree with the earlier post, that is a serious amount of water, I also found that it inevitably soaks to mattress and the seats below. Both of which stain and then it cannot be removed, really feel for you. Don't know about you but it affected my sleep as I was always on edge everytime I heard it rain in the night.

Please don't forget to cast your vote in the 04S Bellows poll, or to update your vote if your circumstances have changed.

The information gathered will be useful to anyone who is in discussion with their dealer or Adrian at VW.

This is what I found this morning. Really not impressed!
Not wishing to be alarmist but the pooling extends past the midpoint so I would be seriously concerned that the electronics below might have been impacted. Thats exactly where the control panel and wiring loom resides.
I see you are new member, so were you aware the 03S/04S could potentially leak? And who is your supplying dealer? If you were not aware (by following threads like this) it was remiss of that dealer not to inform you, especially given this debacle has been ongoing for almost 18 months.
Which seams were leaking and did you see anything infiltration at the side and rear.
At a mimimum you need to fully aerate the cabin with windows open and put a few dessicant packs around the cabin.

Not wishing to be alarmist but the pooling extends past the midpoint so I would be seriously concerned that the electronics below might have been impacted. Thats exactly where the control panel and wiring loom resides.
I see you are new member, so were you aware the 03S/04S could potentially leak? And who is your supplying dealer? If you were not aware (by following threads like this) it was remiss of that dealer not to inform you, especially given this debacle has been ongoing for almost 18 months.
Which seams were leaking and did you see anything infiltration at the side and rear.
At a mimimum you need to fully aerate the cabin with windows open and put a few dessicant packs around the cabin.
I was aware of leak issues but believed they had been resolved. My dealer (Eurovans) made a point of mentioning leaks but said that VW had made changes to the bellows to address them. He said as my 'van was built in February this year it should have the new bellows, unless some old stock had slipped into the system. He also said that if I did get a leak to contact any VW Leisure dealer, who would be well aware of the issue & would replace the bellows without quibble. No sign of ingress on sides & rear. Leaks were worst at front nearside but were across the whole of the front to a lesser degree. All electrics working OK.

Your dealer has engaged the double-speak button! They’ve clearly told you of a problem, and not to worry it should be fixed, if it’s not fixed then a replacement will be given. The only issue is, that up to date, there is no sure fired successful solution! Your best bet would be to protect the van and yourself by getting a pop top wrap or cover to prevent rain hitting the canvas, and tell the dealer what you’re having to do to protect your asset.

I bought mine from Eurovans too, and I had that well rehearsed script. Please forgive my cynicism but they want you to faff around with taking in for a warranty repair rather than risk the buyer rejecting it within the statutory 30 days.

I was aware of leak issues but believed they had been resolved. My dealer (Eurovans) made a point of mentioning leaks but said that VW had made changes to the bellows to address them. He said as my 'van was built in February this year it should have the new bellows, unless some old stock had slipped into the system. He also said that if I did get a leak to contact any VW Leisure dealer, who would be well aware of the issue & would replace the bellows without quibble. No sign of ingress on sides & rear. Leaks were worst at front nearside but were across the whole of the front to a lesser degree. All electrics working OK.
Reject it . Its really not fit for purpose. Sorry

Back