Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bedding for upper and lower

fozzybear

fozzybear

fozzybear63
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi - just looking at what type of sheets I can use on the bottom and top bunk of my California. Having read through the various threads, I am unable to find out what size of fitted sheet is required. I am also wondering if anybody has covered the removable section of the upper bed. My wife is thinking of making some sheets, but would prefer to buy something of the shelf. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi - just looking at what type of sheets I can use on the bottom and top bunk of my California. Having read through the various threads, I am unable to find out what size of fitted sheet is required. I am also wondering if anybody has covered the removable section of the upper bed. My wife is thinking of making some sheets, but would prefer to buy something of the shelf. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi - i can speak for upper as have a Beach 3 seater below - upper i found that a normal double fitted sheet works well, and have recently added a Dunelm double mattress protector in addition. Its prob slightly big, but works well enough, and allows the roof to shut no probs

Also does anyone have a recommendation for a compressible bag to store a double duvet in? Sort like spacebags but that don't need a hoover and instead can just be rolled up?

Also does anyone have a recommendation for a compressible bag to store a double duvet in? Sort like spacebags but that don't need a hoover and instead can just be rolled up?
We use the IKEA blue bags with the yellow zip on them. Space for double duvet, 2 pillows and bottom sheet. They are tough bags so can be squashed into the area under the shelf at the back.

On our SE we just use standard double fitted sheets for both top and bottom beds, there is a bit of slack but we tuck it under and they are fine plus much cheaper than specific size sheets.

We use double duvets top and bottom, in the morning we lay them out flat fold in half and then half again then roll up and put a bungee cord round each they then fit nicely on the rear shelf with the pillows during the day.

Hi,
After much trial I have found that using a zonesleep topper plus a couple of inches of memory foam ( ok it is very woossie but sooo comfortable ...) cramming them both into a normal (tesco cotton ..) single duvet cover works really well - also keeps the two bits together and makes it easy just to roll back on the day change......

al

We use exped dry sacks and down duvets as they compress really well when sat on! the XXL size is big enough for a 13.5 tog feather double duvet or 2 x 9 togs or 1 10.5 tog and a good pillow.
upload_2016-6-7_20-48-30.png
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001K6VTSA/?tag=eliteelect-21

upload_2016-6-7_20-48-17.png
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/exped-xxl-dry-sacs-as-compression-beddings-bags.9617/

A double fitted sheet works well on the top bed. I sewed a bit of elastic to fit on the underside of the mattress to help pull the sides under to hold it in position and stop the crinkles!

We have a Beach but my parents asked me to make a cover for the lower mattress topper in their SE and when they gave me the dimensions I realised it is almost the same size as a single duvet cover so they have been using that and report it is a really great fit

Last edited:
@CALIFATE We too have a beach 3 seater. What is the ideal fitted sheet size for the down stairs bed (full length with the VW mattresses on the multiflex plus seats?

@CALIFATE We too have a beach 3 seater. What is the ideal fitted sheet size for the down stairs bed (full length with the VW mattresses on the multiflex plus seats?
do you know we dont have the VW mattress so cant help - we sleep up top

It's more like King size or a double duvet cover works well. We never used a sheet before as we had a king size memory foam topper inside a double duvet cover which worked well. We now use a king sheet on a comfortz mattress & it's a really comfortable nights sleep but again I've sewn elastic to each side of the sheet to pull it in tight & stop the sheet from coming off every time we fold the mattress away

For the top bed we have the mattress in a single duvet cover and the two shaped bits each in a pillow case.

We use a fitted single jersey sheet from Muji on the top bed - the single is big enough because the mattress is thin. A double duvet is big enough. We have a cheap thin mattress-topper thing to protect the mattress. On the rare occasions we sleep downstairs, we just lie on an old synthetic single duvet in a cover, which acts as a mattress topper & base sheet in one - easily folded up & stored on the back shelf. If we are moving site we stuff the upper duvet & pillows into the wardrobe.

Hi
The width of the mattresses is approximately the same as a small double - also known as the 'bachelor occasional' - but the mattresses in the California are a bit longer so 'long small double' size sheets and protectors fit really well as supplied by 'the linen cupboard'. I bought the cotton percale protector and cotton sheet for the top and leave on all the time. If putting roof down damp then I put a survival foil sheet over them to keep it all dry.
John Lewis do a small double fitted sheet normal length which I bought for the bottom mattress and it fits well on the width, but one corner of the comfort mattress curls up a little so the long small double would fit better but is more expensive. I leave the mattress protector on with the sheet on the lower mattress too, and cover with a large fleece blanket when it is folded back into the shelf in the boot, so it's easy to pull over if needed. Also I keep four pillows, blankets, ample double duvet etc stuffed in the wardrobe and find this all works really well. Hope this is helpful!

Hi
The width of the mattresses is approximately the same as a small double - also known as the 'bachelor occasional' - but the mattresses in the California are a bit longer so 'long small double' size sheets and protectors fit really well as supplied by 'the linen cupboard'. I bought the cotton percale protector and cotton sheet for the top and leave on all the time. If putting roof down damp then I put a survival foil sheet over them to keep it all dry.
John Lewis do a small double fitted sheet normal length which I bought for the bottom mattress and it fits well on the width, but one corner of the comfort mattress curls up a little so the long small double would fit better but is more expensive. I leave the mattress protector on with the sheet on the lower mattress too, and cover with a large fleece blanket when it is folded back into the shelf in the boot, so it's easy to pull over if needed. Also I keep four pillows, blankets, ample double duvet etc stuffed in the wardrobe and find this all works really well. Hope this is helpful!

Hi - I’ve just bought a wonderful Cali Ocean and I’m looking to fit it out. We’ll probably sleep up top - so what size/option of cotton percale protector did you buy from the linen-cupboard? It’s Black Friday and they are offering some great discounts. Thanks P

Hi - I’ve just bought a wonderful Cali Ocean and I’m looking to fit it out. We’ll probably sleep up top - so what size/option of cotton percale protector did you buy from the linen-cupboard? It’s Black Friday and they are offering some great discounts. Thanks P
I bought the long small double protector ( quilted - cotton i ) and the long small double sheet - very pleased as less excess fabric than normal double size

Also we travel with two double size duvets each with its own cover, as it can be chilly up there at any time of year so the axtra duvet to put on top is useful. We use a 4 tog and a 7 tog so cover all seasons. I love Spundown duvets as they have a really nice feel, also they wash well and not too bulky. These are stuffed in wardrobe with 4 pillows and a blanket and a spare top sheet in ormal double size in case its really hot and you just need a sheet! Or if were visiting family so we can use then use all our own bedding to save hosts all that washing if just one night for instance.

Also we travel with two double size duvets each with its own cover, as it can be chilly up there at any time of year so the axtra duvet to put on top is useful. We use a 4 tog and a 7 tog so cover all seasons. I love Spundown duvets as they have a really nice feel, also they wash well and not too bulky. These are stuffed in wardrobe with 4 pillows and a blanket and a spare top sheet in ormal double size in case its really hot and you just need a sheet! Or if were visiting family so we can use then use all our own bedding to save hosts all that washing if just one night for instance.

Happy travels! We love ours - freedom after having run a hotel for 30 plus years!

Does anyone use silk quilts ? I saw them at the show in October and can't locate their business card ?

Yes, we have silk quilts. The great benefit is they take up so little space. A standard duvet cover almost adds more space and weight than the duvet. You can't use quite the same tog rating comparison with standard quilts because of the way silk regulates body temperature. They are cool in summer and warm in winter, especially if you use both the summer and autumn together. If you go for the all silk type, they are very hypoallergenic. For this reason I don't see the point of having a silk filling in a cotton casing (eg John Lewis), as they are less hypoallergenic and bulkier. I prefer the all silk type, eg from Silkwood Silk, but there are other suppliers. The duvets are best aired out in sunlight.

Small pack size is a big Cali advantage. The downsides are cost and lack of weight; they may not suit if you prefer heavier bedcovers.

For the roof bed, we also use a washable wool mattress topper from The Woolroom, which was previously recommended on another thread and is also hypoallergenic and good at regulating body temperature. The small double is a good fit, but obviously you have to remove it before closing the roof, so that adds some bulk to your overall packing. They are currently 25% off, but still quite expensive.

Thanky you so much for taking the time to write that it is much appreciated. I will look at your suggestions now.

Back