Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Baby seat position

• Thread starter AndyFromTheBrac
  • Start date
A

AndyFromTheBrac

Guest User
When travelling 5-up, which is the best seat to use a rear-facing baby seat on?

5th seat which seems ideal but when by the sliding door, it's quite close to the drivers seat. Is that an issue or are rear-facing baby seats designed with this in mind? (to use the front seats as a kind of protector?)

With 5th seat facing forward in position by kitchen, there's no issue with front seats being too close as its between the front two. Then if summat flies thru the windscreen, it could clobber jnr?

Rear bench arguably furthest away so this better if hit from front - but if travelling in 5-up configuration, rear bench, shoved back, is v close to the rear & vulnerable to a rear end shunt?

I guess each to their own and you can't really worry about every eventuality, but just wondered what you guys think?

(shamefully reposted from the Calis with kids thread, as that one seems to be a sleeper!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi

I would check the car seat manufacturers' websites as they usually have a list of which seat location is the best fit for their products (not sure if the Cali is included in this but might be worth a try).

If it helps, our 4 yr old travels in the seat nearest the fridge (car seat has SIPS for extra protection, and we don't have a 5th seat), but this is mainly so he has a good view out of the front windscreen and can oh so helpfully comment on our driving skills :crazy

Oh and if baby travels up front, just remember to turn off the airbag.

HTH,

Eleanor

So 12 months and many rotations around the van we have settled on:

10 year old next to the fridge (he can be trusted not to help himself on long journeys! He also entertains baby)
Baby / 1 year old car seat next to him on the bench seat next to the door.
7 year old on 5th seat facing into backwards on short journeys and forwards on long journeys next to the door. (The seat back can be dropped flat to access the baby seat).
Dog on floor!

Almost decided not to go for Cali due to 5th addition to the family, but so glad we did!

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I'm full of options :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD