Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning rail doesn’t hold.

Dave Omni

Dave Omni

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
3BCA8A24-B590-4B9C-873B-2C517F121C36.jpeg 93B9BE5F-A442-4353-967D-E52848044337.jpeg 9A8C5FCA-B83E-4F12-B777-65E093EB2AD2.jpeg 55F66F2A-272B-4C5C-AFB2-1C50463406A9.jpeg I have just been away this weekend but the factory fitted rubber rail does not hold the Kador beading from a new Funky Leasure Sun Canopy. Because of the heat it just comes out under minimum pressure. I had to tie it down over the top of my camper using some extra guy ropes. I took the rubber strip out to try the plastic fitting but that is even worse. I have a 2016 California Beach and I would appreciate some advise as we are off to Cornwall on Saturday. Dave

What size beading is it?

Before I had my wind out awning fitted I put a couple of small washers behind the rubber strip to close the gap up worked a treat

Hmmm.
I know sizing can be a a bit 'ify' from brand to brand and I'm no expert but that sounds OK to me.
Sorry, can't help further.

I suppose that I could try fitting a strip of 4/5mm plastic on the underside with double sided tape to close the gap but it does seem a bit Micky Mouse. I do realise the extreme heat is really to blame but you would have thought that VW might have tried and tested this fitting.

Have you looked at a camping store! They should have beading set that goes from thick beading to less thick beading. One side might be 8mm back to 6mm on the other side

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Hi, just remove the rubber strip. I just put it on the other side,job done.F

Lots of discussion previously on this:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...r-strip-and-why-6mm-wont-fit.9432/#post-86946

We ended up glueing a strip of dacron woven tape / cloth over the strip / bead and it sits pretty happily now in light conditions. Anything more and we do belt & braces with a guy at each end over the camper to the nearest tree or one of the wheels, which holds it tight in 99% of conditions.

Feels like a weird problem to have after my T4 strip worked perfectly, but the ability to press in the bead (as opposed to having to slide it down an alloy rail), every time you come back from a day out, has improved marital harmony 500%!

If you want a press fit, just get some larger dia plastic tube, slit one side and it’s done, I just use three one foot tubes to hold the driveaway awning. But remove the rubber strip for the sun canopy. There are lots of expensive bits for doing this, but it’s an easy diy.F

I’ve had the same issue and it seems the hotter the rubber gets the softer it is. Frenchie I love your idea - what size tube did you use please as I’ve seen you can get 50/60/70 mm. Thx

Back