Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

At winter tyres 4 motion

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
We are soon to get a new 4motion Cali with 17" rims and will be looking to get some either 80/20 AT tyres or winter ones for them.

What have people found to use with the correct size/load rating, and how do you rate them?

TIA
Mike

Nokian WR2.
Correct loading.
I dont have the 4 motion, but I do have a 56 plate Cali producing over 200bhp and I run these tyres every winter, brilliant,
I run 2 sets of wheels, alloys for summer steels for winter. We run down to the Alps on these every winter and they are superb and wearing very well.

Many thanks for the info.

Anyone using any General Grabber AT's or similar??

Just bought some Toyos Open Country WT to put on steels for winter on my 180DSG. Friend in big truck business reckoned Toyo was highly regarded. Proved tricky to get any snow tyres this late in the season without paying 200 + per tyre.

Nov 19, 2011, 4:03pm, alf170 wrote:
Just bought some Toyos Open Country WT to put on steels for winter on my 180DSG. Friend in big truck business reckoned Toyo was highly regarded. Proved tricky to get any snow tyres this late in the season without paying 200 + per tyre.

I know Toyo tyres from my Westfield days and have to say they are bloomin good tyres. The sticky semi-slick road legal ones are anyway

What are the open country's rated for? 80/20 90/10 road/off-road?

I will be interested to hear how you get on with them over the coming months alf, if you get a moment to report

Will do. We're off to live in northern Germany for a year so in a couple of weeks time so should get lots of snow to test the tyres on and report back on. We'll also be pulling our small caravan so should get to really test them.

Not sure what percentage they are rated for, suspect 90/10 though are M+S with snowflake in a mountain symbol to keep me legal in Germany.

More to folllow.

Having had chance to do a bit more research myself, these Vredestein Quatrac 3's are looking promising as they do them in the right size and load index;

http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandty ... dtypeID=74

Just out of interest can anyone confirm what tyres new 4 motions are coming from the factory shod with

Hi

My new 4Motion (picked it up in July 2011) was fiited with Hankook Ventus tyres which I found surprising. ( I thought they would all be Conti Sport) They are 255/45 R18s as I also opted for the Canberra 18 inch alloys.

Looking for winter tyres at the moment, but the prices seem to increase on a daily basis

Our van has been delivered to the dealer and I had a look at the tyres. They are the same Dunlop SP's fitted to non 4motion's sadly.

I decided to stick with the std 17" rims as they are an easy clean design being 5 big spokes, and there is generally a better choice of tyres at a reasonable price.

Quote:
My new 4Motion (picked it up in July 2011) was fiited with Hankook Ventus tyres which I found surprising

VW Wayside my local dealer told me that VW use either Dunlpo or Hankook, which ever are cheapest at time of build.

Yesterday at 4:27pm, andy wrote:

Quote:
My new 4Motion (picked it up in July 2011) was fiited with Hankook Ventus tyres which I found surprising

VW Wayside my local dealer told me that VW use either Dunlpo or Hankook, which ever are cheapest at time of build.

I hope the Dunlop's are better than the ones I had on a previous car I inherited, they were bl@@dy awful things. If they are they are as bad they will be 're-cycled' extremely quickly

Mine had Dunlop Sport 01s on it from new, seem OK.

Oh good, sounds like they will be good enough to get going with. Ta Andy.

I have the same problem. I can't find any A/T's that have the same rolling diameter and load/speed ratings. My 2010 4motion came with Dunlop 235/55R17 103 W. Absolute crap on even slight mud. What is the point of a 4motion which such low clearance and low profile tyres?? Maybe I'm spoilt as we had a T25 Syncro before this. ;)

Anyway, I've found a few option but only if i go slightly bigger, up to235/60R17 or 235/65R17 which gives an extra 4cm on the diameter and I'm unsure if they'll rub.

The Yokohama Geolander All Terrain 215/60R17 H (96) - http://lovetyres.com/tyre/Yokohama-Geol ... /215-60-17

Bridgestone Dueler A/T 693 in slightly larger tyre - 235/60 R17 H (102) - gives an extra 24mm diameter and 75mm circumference - http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/br ... 7-102-h-mo

HAs anyone tried these?

If only BF Goodrich or General Grabbers would fit!

Cheers
Dave

Actually, the Yokohma Geolander does come in a 225/55R18 H (99) not sure if the speed/load rating are ok though. I'm waiting for someone from VW to get back to me on this.

I have sent Alex at smg a message he should get back to you soon
Calikev

scubadoo said:
Actually, the Yokohma Geolander does come in a 225/55R18 H (99) not sure if the speed/load rating are ok though. I'm waiting for someone from VW to get back to me on this.

We would recommend at least a 101 or preferable a 103 weight rated tyre. An H speed rating is ok. It should also really be a 235/50R18 as well.

cheers

I've been beaten to it so edited;

I think you'll find that the load rating needs to be 103 due to the max gross of the van/insurance.

I'm still thinking of the same size profile Vred Quatrac3 or there is an all season Goodyear Vector4Seasons in the correct 17' size I found, whether it's 'easily available' in the UK is another matter.

http://www.goodyear.eu/uk_en/tires/vector-4seasons-suv/index.jsp?from=tyrefinder

Found this chat during a search for all season tyres, do you guys have any updates on your experiences with the tyres discussed above?

I was thinking of fitting the Vredestein Quadtrac 3 to my Cali (2009 140bhp standard wheels) when the original Dunlops are replaced. The current tyres are useless unless on 'summer tarmac' and since it is a camper van I spend a fair amount of time on the grass :D

I only travel approx 4k miles per year so wear is not a concern.

I have Vredestein winter tyres on the cars and these are excellent, but do not want the cost of yet another set of summer and winter wheels!!! Never mind the storage space :headbang

Thanks
Barry