Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are we panel vans now?

M

malc

VIP Member
I don't ever remember being called a California panel van? Always thought we were cars!

All the new ads from dealers call the Calis panel vans...

Is our classification is being changed ?

If this the case it will mean a change in insurance, max speed on dual carriageways 60mph ...50mph on single carriageway and other selected roads....70 mph on motorways This will cause confusion with courts and police giving out tickets? Already a post on this. I think the road tax is different also.

Can anybody clear this up ....

I don't know about the UK, but here important is what is in your registration/license paperwork, not what is in ads...
Our registration lists our Cali as a car.

As bvddobb says what matters is what the V5 says. VW can not change the official classification of vehicles, that is up to DVLA & government policy,. All they can do is change how they refer to them & if they start referring to a California as a panel van then they will not do their marketing any favours.

I believe ChrisandPenny are correct. If the vehicle has a cO2 rating from the vehicle manufacturer then that is used for purposes of taxation. Large motorhomes, because they are modified by a convertor will still be classed as a motorhome and hence have the lower taxation class.
The speed limits are applicable by vehicle weight and not taxation class so ALL Californias will be regarded the same when it comes to traffic law.

Hubert

Back