Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are prices due to crash?

You could be right. That’s something easily added, my intention would be to do something with the front end anyway. I’ve never been a fan of the factory styling.
I watched this today, which was interesting.

T5.1 has the nicest looking front end.

I might be slightly biased.

Just read the comments on VWCV recent post. Lots of negativity about California pricing…

9FF4FBE5-EA13-472E-AD49-FED2190BC875.png

I think there may be a biggar deposit allowance sometime before the model ends, but as this is sometimes subsidised by the dealer this would mean less discount on the California. Also I think the new california, rumoured to be based on the multivan, will cost significantly more than the current 6.1, here in the UK if you look at the VW list prices for the discontinued caravelle verses the equivalent multivan I make the multivan is nearly 4k more.

Some of you may have seen this article on the Telegraph website today / yesterday. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/volkswagen-california-61-ocean-campervan-family-road-trip/

I thought I'd drop it in here rather than start a thread because it reads very much like an 'advertorial' rather than a genuine journalistic article. It contains some fairly obvious inaccuracies which I'm sure forum members can spot (unless VW have been secretly producing LWB Calis all these years and I haven't noticed) and at least some of the pics are obviously library in images which don't match the article
Anyway, I don't think prices are about to *crash*, but if VW feel the need to plant these articles then maybe sales figures are slipping a little?

Doubt it's VW planting them, especially with LWB error. More likely sloppy journalusm and an easy article rehashed from a similar one you see every year or so.

Doubt it's VW planting them, especially with LWB error. More likely sloppy journalusm and an easy article rehashed from a similar one you see every year or so.

I don't recall reading that one before - good article, sums it up nicely.

The LWB version with the mini toilet is of course the Grand California, easy mistake to make if you've never seen one just been told there's a longer one with a WC......

I don't recall reading that one before - good article, sums it up nicely.

The LWB version with the mini toilet is of course the Grand California, easy mistake to make if you've never seen one just been told there's a longer one with a WC......
Can someone provide a summary for those who can’t see Telegraph articles?

Yep. Stuff gets re-hashed for easy clicks. I live by the coast and every year read the same article about 'the top ten secret beaches in the UK', which presumably aren't secret anymore.

The Telegraph in particular does do planted advertorials quite often, or at least they used to. I think they are supposed to declare it these days mind.

There was, as far as I know, a one and only LWB High roof T5 Cali which I have seen and assumed it was a prototype.
Was that called the GP?

I don't recall reading that one before - good article, sums it up nicely. I don't think its a re-hash, it does actually sound like she slept in the van unlike some of the other reviews/articles.

Was that called the GP?
No the GP title was applied simply to all versions the T5.1 when it appeared. I think the letters GP show in the description of one of the control modules, probably the BCM.

Since I posted that thread I have edited it with some photos that I took of the LWB Cali when I saw it.

Now wouldn't it be interesting if VW throw in a curve ball and introduce a high top Multivan. That would take everyone by surprise!
And severely shrink their market.

There was, as far as I know, a one and only LWB Cali which I have seen and assumed it was a prototype.

2008 model T5 LWB high roof (guess Polyroof) California Ocean pictured in Hessisch Oldendorf in 2009.

View attachment 109541
View attachment 109542
View attachment 109543
View attachment 109544
View attachment 109545
Squinting in the bright Cornish sunshine, I'm not sure I see anything in those photos to prove its a LWB. Obviously seeing the sliding door side would prove things, but anything can look stretched taken side on like that?

Edit - it does look lwb a bit, but the Ocean badge wasn't introduced 'til 2016 and this pre face-lift T5 stopped production in 2009/10 so I suspect it's a wannabe Cali. Only a Cali by the stickers.

Squinting in the bright Cornish sunshine, I'm not sure I see anything in those photos to prove its a LWB. Obviously seeing the sliding door side would prove things, but anything can look stretched taken side on like that?
With the benefit of my large monitor, the rear pic blown up shows the sliding door finishing well before the rear arch so it is a LWB. :thumb

@rod_vw interesting photos. There appears to be a curtain in the tailgate window rather than the Cali tailgate blind, which casts some doubt on it being factory. However, having the name ‘Ocean’ in 2009 (based on your post) seems to me to be either a great coincidence or insight into VW’s thinking at that time.

The red lettering on the license plate is interesting. Usually these are dealer or manufacturer plates and not signed to specific vehicles. Might support the notion of a test vehicle.

Edit - it does look lwb a bit, but the Ocean badge wasn't introduced 'til 2016 and this pre face-lift T5 stopped production in 2009/10 so I suspect it's a wannabe Cali. Only a Cali by the stickers.
It is certainly a LWB, I know exactly how they look having owned four of them!

That set of decals were fitted in June 2009 when I took the pictures (I can take you to the street where it they were taken) and with the red & white WOB (Wolfsburg) plates are for dealer use. As above VW were thinking of the name long before it appeared on the open market.

This is what I believe the roof was https://www.polyroof.de/fahrzeugdaecher/hochdaecher/ and that is the same supplier that some German SWB California owners used to have had a high roof fitted in place of the elevating roof.

Some people are clearly living in cuckoo land

£60k for a T5.1….

Same retailer who quoted me over £40 in 2021 for a GAZ 907 refill!!

Back