Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone know how the batteries on the Beach work?

Trav88

Trav88

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi,

If I charge the battery on my Beach with a Speed charger will it charge both batteries? Is there a way to isolate one?

Also if I left the lights on would both batteries run flat? Or is the battery under the bonnet isolated like the SE?

Thanks!

*smart charger! not speed charger...

How are you connecting the smart charger to the battery? Also is your Beach one that came with mains hookup from the factory.
On mine (without factory hookup) I connect the smart charger (a CTEK) to the leisure battery. Initiallt this was via the 12V socket in the C pillar but I have now put a fused lead & connector direct to the leisure battery terminals. This only charges the leisure battery.
If I want to charge the main vehicle battery I would either use the crocodile clips straight onto the battery terminals under the bonnet or connect via the 12v socket in the dashboard cup holder. Reasonably sure that this will only charge the main battery, not both of them.

If you leave the lights on (or the radio) only the vehicle battery will go flat.

If its like a normal leisure battery setup it should be on an isolated circuit. There will be a split charge relay from the alternator that will switch between Vehicle and Leisure battery when the engine is running but current can't flow between batteries.

I believe you could charge the leisure under the passenger seat but the vehicle battery would not be effected and would need connecting separately.

Thanks for the replies, I will just connect the charger to the leisure battery then, I'm only going to use it to run a fridge. So I will leave the one under the bonnet alone. I was planning on gettnig the CTEK MXS 7.0, is that MXS10 worth getting or is it overkill?

Its the CTEK MSX 7.0 that I have had for the last 3 years. Great bit of kit and never felt the need to get the 10 version. It comes 2 connection options: A lead with the crocodile clips and also a lead with ring terminals on the end. If you connect the ring terminals to the leisure battery ( the seat will need to come out to do this) then the lead can be left under the passenger seat for easy connection when on hookup. Other option is to buy the cigarette lighter adapter lead and plug in on the C pillar socket.

+ Matt - I dont see any reason why a 2nd leisure battery couldn't be added. It would fit under the drivers seat. Points to consider would be:
Means of securing it to the floor
Is the alternator & split charge relay up to the job of charging both while driving .
How old is the existing battery as ideally the 2 should be evenly matched.

Thanks good points. My van is new registered May but interestingly when I tested the leisure battery recently it showed as ok but not full. Odd seeing as I've not used the leisure for anything and drive the van daily.

Does show as 13v when vehicle is running so assuming that means it's charging, expected higher though when alternator is running.

CTEK do a socket called a comfort panel. It is connected to the battery and has a socket to connect a charger and 3 LEDs that show the condition of the battery. I have fitted one in my beach and gives you a feel for how much power is in the battery. Only about £20.

I like the look of that comfort panel, looks just the ticket. Where could I mount that on the Beach? Would it fit behind the plastic pillar cover below the seat belt? (not sure which pillar that is!)

CTEK do a socket called a comfort panel. It is connected to the battery and has a socket to connect a charger and 3 LEDs that show the condition of the battery. I have fitted one in my beach and gives you a feel for how much power is in the battery. Only about £20.

Cheers, Ive ordered one. :)

Thanks good points. My van is new registered May but interestingly when I tested the leisure battery recently it showed as ok but not full. Odd seeing as I've not used the leisure for anything and drive the van daily.

Does show as 13v when vehicle is running so assuming that means it's charging, expected higher though when alternator is running.
Think you still have to hook it up to a mains charger now & again to give it a full charge otherwise it won't last

I have mine on the top of the plastic cover as there is enough depth to accommodate it and enough clearance by about 2mm when you need to push the seat back. Just measure carefully so you make the cutout in the right place or you will hit the metal frame of the seat base. There is not enough depth on the side of the cover as the frame and battery are in the way.

Back