Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

anyone else swim

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Reached a milestone today literally I swam over a mile today furthest I have swam so far :thumb
it was in the local pool but im still chuffed :clap

Good for you Kev. I would have drowned after a few hundred yards!

Californiaman said:
Good for you Kev. I would have drowned after a few hundred yards!

:laugh2 I have been building up gradually and thought today I would go for it.Took me about an hour
feel a bit knackered now though :laugh2

I swim a fair bit and have done loads of sea swimming this year.

Usually do about a km in the pool (BORING!) and between half and one mile at sea; all crawl. Used to struggle a bit with breathing (fast over short distances but ran out of puff) but sussed it now. Done a few tris before the "new" breathing and was a bit pants - top third for the swim section each time but should have been far better. Hopefully better than that now.

Well done on the mile - it's a long way! How long did it take you?

It took me about an hour :thumb I swim breastroke I did do 30 of the lengths without using my legs
I got used to it when I damaged my knee :thumb I have only been swimming for about a year

LOVE swimming..it's my favourite thing. I regularly swim in my local lake in the summer months, and in a heated outdoor lido in the winter. In fact one reason I wanted the Cali is so that I can go and swim in some wild swimming spots and have somewhere to get changed in, make a cup of warming tea, etc!
I swam 3.6km down the Thames from Hampton Court to Kingston earlier this summer..that was the furthest I've swum and it was a struggle for the last few hundred metres!

Wow swimming in the thames thats awsome il stick to the pool :thumb

Even more impressive!

Maui; sounds great. I've swum a few rivers like the Ardeche and always enjoy it. Not done the Thames though.

Sweden and Mull were both great for sea swimming as the water is very clean but hardly salty at all. Makes it easier to swim!

We were in Denmark this summer and did some lovely swimming in the sea there...I really didn't think we'd be in the sea in the Nordics but it was actually a good temperature and even the kids managed to stay in for quite a while each day! We could see Sweden from where we were across the strait. Definitely hoping to head back there once we've got the Cali!
Jane

Calikev said:
Wow swimming in the thames thats awsome il stick to the pool :thumb

Compared to Kettering Pool - I would go for the Thames :D

Started swimming so that I could get to the bike and run parts of the triathlons I do. Its still easily my worst of the 3 disciplines but can now plod along mid field. Longest distance I've done is across the Solent from Ryde to Lee on Solent plus a couple of ironman swims (3.8k).
Far prefer open water (with a wetsuit) to pool swimming, water should still be warm enough so might see what the tides are like this weekend to get a last one in for the season.

owen_h said:
Started swimming so that I could get to the bike and run parts of the triathlons I do. Its still easily my worst of the 3 disciplines but can now plod along mid field. Longest distance I've done is across the Solent from Ryde to Lee on Solent plus a couple of ironman swims (3.8k).
Far prefer open water (with a wetsuit) to pool swimming, water should still be warm enough so might see what the tides are like this weekend to get a last one in for the season.

Swam here last week; chilly on the head but otherwise fine.

owen_h said:
St
Far prefer open water (with a wetsuit) to pool swimming, .

me too! can't bear going back into the pool (even though it is outdoors) at the end of the lake season...I get lane-rage!

maui2512 said:
owen_h said:
St
Far prefer open water (with a wetsuit) to pool swimming, .

me too! can't bear going back into the pool (even though it is outdoors) at the end of the lake season...I get lane-rage!

The sea temp is 15deg around here at the moment (according to one of the buoys in the Solent) so still fine for open water swimming. Might well be able to get a session in some point over the weekend.
Most of my pool swimming is with the triathlon club so no lane rage (just struggling to hold onto the pace) but know exactly what you mean for public sessions. Blue rinse breaststrokers in the ‘fast’ lane Grrrrr :censor

Well done on your swim what's your next target swim. Best open water swim was in a small lake just outside of reva garda the water was so blue

ehede6eh.jpg
lake near Campagnole in the summer, can't beat an early morning lake swim!

A few pics:

Diving in the Med (this was obviously followed by swimming)

559120_10150947795807805_1305654152_n.jpg

I free dived to 12m shortly afterwards and nearly imploded my head - BAD idea. :headbang

Swimming fairly badly in a triathlon (luckily my cycling and running were a bit better)

60315_435787537804_8033388_n.jpg

I swim a lot with our black lab who is a seal with ears - she'll happily swim for half an hour before getting slightly bored! Really enjoy it!

The sea is way too wild for swimming now though.

Back