Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone bottom half wrapped there van?? Pics please!!!

Scoobyboy5555

Scoobyboy5555

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi,
Anyone got pics of half wrapped bottom half of there vans, Im taking delivery of mine soon and its in candy white with red canvas on pop top and ive managed to talk to a detailing/wrap company and get a price on doing a half wrap in "gloss red" when it arrives, but interested in seeing what everyone else has done to there vans regardless of colour,

We’ve got Ascot Grey and my mrs would love to have the bottom halve wrapped in an Orla Kiely “Stem” design in cream/yellow to give it a bit of a hippy look. I even wrote to Orla Kiely for permission to reproduce their design in a wrap and they agreed. Haven’t done it though….yet! I know this doesn’t help with your post, just throwing it in the mix !

We’ve got Ascot Grey and my mrs would love to have the bottom halve wrapped in an Orla Kiely “Stem” design in cream/yellow to give it a bit of a hippy look. I even wrote to Orla Kiely for permission to reproduce their design in a wrap and they agreed. Haven’t done it though….yet! I know this doesn’t help with your post, just throwing it in the mix !
That's fine, I had to google "Orla Kiely" though!! :Grin

Would look different, that's for sure!!!

Yes, Ascot Grey with Avery Dennison 'Aqua Blue' as below.

See also my post below (April 2nd 2022-on), where I showed Photoshops of other lower half colours which we used to help us decide what combination to go for:

IMAGE 2022-03-04 14:26:43.jpg
IMG_2509.jpg
IMG_3725.JPG
IMG_4030.JPG

Last edited:
Looks really good in blue, actually suits it well, shame VW didn't offer colour options like this instead of the 2 tone colours they offer on the T6.1 California.

Yes, indeed.

Just one note of caution (thanks to my wife for reminding me of this just now!):

Look VERY carefully at the outfit who are going to do it for you, and make sure to look at examples of their work - we recently spent 5 days in Normandy and one afternoon saw a very jazzy looking cream and orange rental California, with the lower half wrapped. On closer (but not very close) inspection we saw that the wrap job was truly awful, with gaps everywhere, bubbles, and was pulling away all over the place from the edges.
If the company I used had presented me with such complete junk, I’d have been crying in my beer.

To give you a final perspective, my wife said ‘That company couldn’t even cover a school exercise book properly’!

Caveat emptor!!!

Last edited:
Yes, Ascot Grey with Avery Dennison 'Aqua Blue' as below.

See also my post below (April 2nd 2022-on), where I showed Photoshops of other lower half colours which we used to help us decide what combination to go for:

View attachment 100971
Is that "Remi" the Spindrift Van you're parked alongside? Really nice conversion. Been following the channel on YouTube.

Indeed, guilty as charged m’lud, it is the very same Remi - so pleased to hear that you are impressed with our handiwork!:

We had a whole lot of fun converting the Caddy, whilst our own new purchase sat patiently on the drive for 9 months before ever being used!

All of which made me wonder whether my next project should be to out-Buzz the Buzz!? . . . get an old 60s-model van, drop out the conventional driveline, graft in two BMW i3 drive units and battery packs, and do a tasteful ‘above-decks’ retro interior treatment in wood and leather like we did for my daughter’s Caddy - this will certainly get some hares running . . . Discuss!!!

Hi,
Anyone got pics of half wrapped bottom half of there vans, Im taking delivery of mine soon and its in candy white with red canvas on pop top and ive managed to talk to a detailing/wrap company and get a price on doing a half wrap in "gloss red" when it arrives, but interested in seeing what everyone else has done to there vans regardless of colour,
Check with your Insurance Co, first as it seems some won't cover wrapped vehicles due to minor damage needing high cost repairs.

I wonder if he wrap is as tough as some of the 3M tapes used to prevent stone chips, if so maybe the wrap could provide some useful paint protection as well as a cosmetic function?

I wonder if he wrap is as tough as some of the 3M tapes used to prevent stone chips, if so maybe the wrap could provide some useful paint protection as well as a cosmetic function?
Yes, as well as giving you in effect a ‘repainted’ bottom half of the car, it acts just like PPF (paint protection film) - I’m told that if /when you ever take it off (carefully, with heat and some skill!) then the paint beneath, once cleaned and polished, will look like it did when it left the factory.
A useful bonus is that if you ever want to sell to someone who doesn’t have your taste in colour, then you just take it off and the paintwork is pristine again.

Yes, as well as giving you in effect a ‘repainted’ bottom half of the car, it acts just like PPF (paint protection film) - I’m told that if /when you ever take it off (carefully, with heat and some skill!) then the paint beneath, once cleaned and polished, will look like it did when it left the factory.
A useful bonus is that if you ever want to sell to someone who doesn’t have your taste in colour, then you just take it off and the paintwork is pristine again.
Unfortunately whilst the bottom of the van may look like new, the top half of your van may have faded & may not match the bottom.

Unfortunately whilst the bottom of the van may look like new, the top half of your van may have faded & may not match the bottom.

Hah, so why do you think we chose primer grey as the base colour ;/\\ ?!

(errrr, we didn’t - it was Hobson’s choice on a cancelled order ;-/ . . . I’ll take the risk of a mismatch one day for a far more cheery look, for very little significant risk )

And the cost of having the wrap removed?

removing Wrap : the article doesn’t say how long is too long

And the cost of having the wrap removed?

My chap said a day's work, so maybe a couple of hundred quid, or so, I'd imagine.

Certainly cheaper than 'taking off' a coat of coloured paint and 'making good' (i.e. a respray!)

my van was also candy white, now wrapped with a high quality Avery wrap. I think it was Cardinal Red. I'm very happy with the result & the quality. It's been 2 years now, still looks like new.
Go for it!

View attachment 101081

View attachment 101082

View attachment 101083

View attachment 101084
Just what im looking for, Love the colour, I asked the company for "gloss red" but I want it as close to the T6 oem red/white combo, Yours looks amazing!!

Thanks for sharing the pics!!!