Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anybody tried these?

I liked the fact they were removable, just don't know how secure they are.

I was taking a look at these but apart from being put off by a brown tint I don't think they will fit in a Cali on the double glazed windows which protrude past the plastic mouldings where the sheets of laminate would normally tuck behind. Shame as has some merit.

SO only option is tinting film. My main concern with this, beyond shoddy installation, is what the application of film would do to the guarantee of the windows and particularly the double glazed units. Could VW say that film caused premature failure in the sealed units ? These units have been known to fail evidenced here.
Then there is the famous leaky sliding windows. Is film even an option on these as surely the existing seal (-optimistic eh?!!) is going to be compromised by the addition of film? And should they need replacing - reapplication of film is necessary.

I just don't think the standard tint is adequate and would far prefer true privacy glass.

777111 said:
I was taking a look at these but apart from being put off by a brown tint I don't think they will fit in a Cali on the double glazed windows which protrude past the plastic mouldings where the sheets of laminate would normally tuck behind. Shame as has some merit.

SO only option is tinting film. My main concern with this, beyond shoddy installation, is what the application of film would do to the guarantee of the windows and particularly the double glazed units. Could VW say that film caused premature failure in the sealed units ? These units have been known to fail evidenced here.
Then there is the famous leaky sliding windows. Is film even an option on these as surely the existing seal (-optimistic eh?!!) is going to be compromised by the addition of film? And should they need replacing - reapplication of film is necessary.

I just don't think the standard tint is adequate and would far prefer true privacy glass.

I have gad all rear windows tinted by eclipse ussing film. John did an excelent job. Film goes on all windows OK no problem & does not go near sliding window seal. I will be at cotf & your welcome to inspect them. John would not do it if it did not look good, he is a perfectionist & admits it.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply - interesting.

Cant quite see how the sliding window isn't compromised by an extra layer between seal and glass? Sorry if I am being dense.

And you don't think VW could drop a warranty claim on the sealed units?

What tint level and film type did you go for? And how much £?

Think going to your recommendation , which I don't doubt is really good, may be a bit impractical for me. Shame that.

Thanks.

The film is fitted on the inside of the glass. The seal is on the outside of the window unit.
I don't see why VW would think tints would contribute to a failed sealed unit.
I can't honestly remember weather I went for 20% or 35% in the end. All windows the same tint, probably should have gone for lighter tint on side door & kitchen windows as is a tad dingy. Cost was £250, well worth it. As said before John is a perfectionist & he found something behind the film on sliding window so he started again as he was not happy with it.
Yes I guess Aylesbury is just a bit too far for you to go for this.

Back