Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any comments or opinions on 140DSG.

P

Paul S

VIP Member
We are looking at purchasing our first 'van but as my wife only has an auto licence we need a DSG and although 180s are "relatively" common I have only happened across 1 140hp variant. Are they not suited to the 'box or any other reason?

morning paul......a local vw club member has just got a 140 dsg window bus and had it converted to a full camper .... i went in it the other week and it goes very well indeed...
he also pulls his caravan with it and would say if it wasn't upto the job.
most of these homebrew t4's & t5's are far from 140hp and seem to charge about just fine with all the kit in as daily drivers...
i wouldn't worry to much about it paul. The 140hp are slightly harder to come by and if the price is right and it's there and you want something now then snap it up my friend .. :thumb

Hi Paul as lee says the 140 is quite capable of pulling you along
As for the dsg gearbox if it is the same as in the 180 dsg I can't see any problems
I'm sure the 140 and 180 engines are the same the latter having twin turbo so gearboxes the same
Happy hunting

Your right Kev ....:)
The only physical difference I've been told is larger brakes & bi - turbo .. There probably are afew other little tweeks that have been done , but I wouldn't shy away from a 140hp dsg ... As I said some of the very well known camper converters that are mega money to use less than 140's

Yes my last t5 conversion was the 1.9 tdi 85hp and even that was ok. :thumb

I haven't had any problems with the 114 bhp of the Bluemotion beach, even when loaded, and going over the gentle hills of Shropshire. Can't believe there is any issue with the 140. AFAIK DSG doesn't sap power like a traditional auto, but is effectively a robotised manual. I'm sure Shambly can comment if he reads this, as he knows about such things ;)

syrup1971 said:
I haven't had any problems with the 114 bhp of the Bluemotion beach, even when loaded, and going over the gentle hills of Shropshire. Can't believe there is any issue with the 140. AFAIK DSG doesn't sap power like a traditional auto, but is effectively a robotised manual. I'm sure Shambly can comment if he reads this, as he knows about such things ;)

I would have had a DSG had they imported the Beach with a DSG to the UK. And that includes the 115bhp of the Bluemotion.

I find the Bluemotion okay - it's fine up to speed - I think, despite VW saying they need to put the 5 speed in for the Bluemotion, it would benefit from a six speeder - the gearing is tall and I have found it sometimes doesn't want 2nd and it doesn't quite want 3rd. Also, you have to drop down on hills and sometimes work the box but it is not too bad

I expected this to be honest - and the Beach handles well and can go through corners quickly without too much fuss. I have found once into 5th and the cruise control set it pulls at a good speed.

The DSG is a great box :)

You've probably found less 140's with DSG because traditionally auto boxes have been associated with larger engines or power outputs - but I would say they really suit a T5 of any power output.