Any amateur radio or CB folks in Calis?

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Just in the process of doing my foundation course and have my exam in a couple of weeks.

Wondering if we have any amateur radio enthusiasts in the Cali club. :)

Matt.

Me too. G3*** since 1963. Campervan owner since 1986. When I get too old for serious hill walking, I think the Cali will be ideal for /P operation.
[ Or is it /A? I'm not too clear on the rules for operation from a parked vehicle with the antenna attached to the countryside. Hope that doesn't come up in your exam.]

Just in the process of doing my foundation course and have my exam in a couple of weeks.

Wondering if we have any amateur radio enthusiasts in the Cali club. :)

Matt.
GE OM DE G0CGD KN :)

Good luck! G4MTC and N1EIG in my younger days ...

Me too. G3*** since 1963. Campervan owner since 1986. When I get too old for serious hill walking, I think the Cali will be ideal for /P operation.
[ Or is it /A? I'm not too clear on the rules for operation from a parked vehicle with the antenna attached to the countryside. Hope that doesn't come up in your exam.]

This is still quite fresh in my mind hehe.
A is alternative address.
P is temporary location I think as in portable.
M is mobile, so this one for moving I guess.

Wow I suspected there might be a few, I quite fancy a little rig in the cali. :)

Wow I suspected there might be a few, I quite fancy a little rig in the cali. :)
Not very active these days, but I used to do quite a lot of /M years ago with an Icom 706, I think it was a Kon Tiki we had then. I remember using it in Spain to chat to my buddies back home, before the days of widespread mobile phone use. Ignition off, the lights in the dash used to come on when I was transmitting on 100 Watts! It used to cause a problem with some of the accessories in the van, the fridge went on the blink but was fixed under warranty ...

I’ve only used the Cali once for ham radio but kept it to 3W with a QRP FT817, didn’t fancy RF setting airbags and stuff off. I used a wire dipole on 40m held up with a roach pole and it worked quite well.

At home now I use a Flex 6300 SDR rig, but no proper antennas, only a linked dipole on one of those telescopic flag poles you see at the shows, extended as and when needed.

Good luck with the exams, hope to have a sked with you soon.

73 de G0CGD

Congratulations Matt OM! :thumb

Looks like all the Cali hams on here would fit easily into a telephone box. Or a Cali ... :D

M6VWM is my callsign :) forgot to update ;)

Still to make a contact which is quite quite sad but I'm planning some Cali on a hill type trips with a long wire up.

Well done, what radio are you going to get for your Cali
@CannonDale I have an 857d at present for use at home but I'm quite tempted to use it in the cali. Mounting an antenna may be a challenge though with the aluminium roof?

Also carry a little UV5R everywhere with me and in the van. :) May be handy in a crisis too ;)

Last edited:

Still to make a contact which is quite quite sad but I'm planning some Cali on a hill type trips with a long wire up.

Excellent. 73 de M6NRC

I’m not but my stepfather was big into it and owned Photo Acoustics in Newport Pagnell selling a lot of ham gear, some of those transceivers were £2000 back in the mid 80’s

Congratulations on the c/s.

This is what I've used in the Cali

https://www.sotabeams.co.uk/drive-on-car-stand-for-masts/
https://www.sotabeams.co.uk/telescopic-antenna-masts-sotapoles/
https://www.sotabeams.co.uk/band-hopper-iii-three-band-linked-dipole/ (I think this is the one)

With an FT817ND. (Works very well on data modes BTW)

I'm not very active, but hopefully we will have a QSO one day! :thumb

That looks like a great setup.

I have an LNR endfed mk2 but am yet to use it. Awaiting a pole to arrive funnily enough. The vehicle stand looks like a brilliant idea.

@CannonDale I have an 857d at present for use at home but I'm quite tempted to use it in the cali. Mounting an antenna may be a challenge though with the aluminium roof?

Also carry a little UV5R everywhere with me and in the van. :) May be handy in a crisis too ;)

Congrats on the call sign. Just starting to look for a new radio for my cali.

I’m thinking maybe we should arrange a VWCC sked sometime?