Another question please

john mar

john mar

Basil
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I am buying this plug/converter?

Can anybody in plain English explain to me ,does this work off the l hook up or the battery's.

Can I plug in any thing in upto a certain wattage . Or is on ampage???.

If this has been covered before ,sorry...

Thank you.

Screenshot_20190220-074443_Chrome.jpg

Hi, this outlet gives you 230volts from the batteries not hookup, as such it is limited to items up to 150w, ie chargers and other low powered electricals.

John, just in case it helps to explain further... a 150W appliance at 230v would be drawing about 1.5 amps (because watts = volts x amps).

Also, get into the habit of unplugging everything from the inverter socket (ie the one you pictured) because as long as there's anything plugged in there (including an adapter, I think) the inverter will 'run' and be draining some power from the leisure batteries.

Thank you.

When we say batteries, we mean the two in the back is that right.

I am glad I asked..

My understanding is that using 240v from a 12v battery source is rather old school and inefficient. It used to be necessary (or less inefficient) when we all took 20v laptops, but many devices can now be run and charged from usb leads, in which case you are better off using a 12v to usb device from the round (cigarette lighter type) socket next to this one. These just reduce 12v to 5v, rather than boost 12v to 240v then back to 5v (for the usb outlets) with all of the losses that creates. Obviously if you NEED 240v (at low amps) then this is a good device, but don’t be hoping to boil kettles or use hairdryers from the battery source. They can be useful, but they don’t turn water into wine.

Snip

Also, get into the habit of unplugging everything from the inverter socket (ie the one you pictured) because as long as there's anything plugged in there (including an adapter, I think) the inverter will 'run' and be draining some power from the leisure batteries.
I agree, if you get on your knees and peer under the lid you will see a small LED. When lit, this indicates the inverter in powered up and working and drawing a current from the leisure batteries.

Alan

My understanding is that using 240v from a 12v battery source is rather old school and inefficient. It used to be necessary (or less inefficient) when we all took 20v laptops, but many devices can now be run and charged from usb leads, in which case you are better off using a 12v to usb device from the round (cigarette lighter type) socket next to this one. These just reduce 12v to 5v, rather than boost 12v to 240v then back to 5v (for the usb outlets) with all of the losses that creates. Obviously if you NEED 240v (at low amps) then this is a good device, but don’t be hoping to boil kettles or use hairdryers from the battery source. They can be useful, but they don’t turn water into wine.
Agree, never needed to use the inverter socket myself.

I use it for a 50w 230v Insect Repeller. No need for Insect screens.

The mozzie zapping lights from the shop work well on the little beasties and charge from USB.
Mine is just left in when travelling. It has an Euro Plug and lasts for 30 days.

Be sure not to use appliances in the 3 pin adapter that need an earth for safety protection, that is they are not double insulated. items that have have plastic cases are typically double insulated. The reason being the inverter has only live and neutral.

Thanks. I think I got it, only things like a toothbrush charger or any other electrical item that has two wires?

Back