Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

And Today in the Dealers…

What’s the length of the LWB version…?
Exactly 200mm longer than the normal one, with all the length being behind the rear wheels.
Overall lengths are 4.973 and 5.173
Internal Length behind front seats is 2.425 and 2.625
Internal width 1.665 or 1.207 between wheel arches

The overall floor area behind the front seats is 4.079m2 the T6.1 cali brochure quotes living space area as 4m2

Comparing the outline of the two, it looks like the multilane has the longer bonnet which accounts for the increase in length. I note the windscreen is at a shallower angle, my concern with that is whether it affects swivelled seats & whether the headrests hit it meaning you have to have the swivel seats moved more to the rear of the van.

With the huge panoramic roof available it looks like just leaving that out saves having to cut a hole.

It has also lost about 100mm in hight as in the van floor is now closer to the ground, I am not sure how this would affect things like a parking heater & the gas/water tank that are mounted lower than the T6.1 floor. There is also the possibility that the wheel arches intrude more as floor is lowered.

I would suggest the LWB multivan has the room to become a cali but at the expense of a 269mm increase in length and a 37mm increase in width over a T6.1 or looking it another way its just 117m shorter than a LWB T6.1 but without the interior space advantage of a LWB,IMG_0542.jpegIMG_0543.jpeg

Last edited:
Exactly 200mm longer than the normal one, with all the length being behind the rear wheels.
Overall lengths are 4.973 and 5.173
Internal Length behind front seats is 2.425 and 2.625
Internal width 1.665 or 1.207 between wheel arches

The overall floor area behind the front seats is 4.079m2 the T6.1 cali brochure quotes living space area as 4m2

Comparing the outline of the two, it looks like the multilane has the longer bonnet which accounts for the increase in length. I note the windscreen is at a shallower angle, my concern with that is whether it affects swivelled seats & whether the headrests hit it meaning you have to have the swivel seats moved more to the rear of the van.

With the huge panoramic roof available it looks like just leaving that out saves having to cut a hole.

It has also lost about 100mm in hight as in the van floor is now closer to the ground, I am not sure how this would affect things like a parking heater & the gas/water tank that are mounted lower than the T6.1 floor. There is also the possibility that the wheel arches intrude more as floor is lowered.

I would suggest the LWB multivan has the room to become a cali but at the expense of a 269mm increase in length and a 37mm increase in width over a T6.1 or looking it another way its just 117m shorter than a LWB T6.1 but without the interior space advantage of a LWB,View attachment 108534View attachment 108535
Shared this before but useful still - not a huge difference.

IMG_4726.png

The latest transit is now sub 2m…

CLEVER DESIGN​

New Transit Custom delivers improved proportions, with a lower step-in height for easier cabin entry, convenient slide-over access across the width of the front seats, and a sub 2.0 m height4, ideal for underground parking.

It looks good.

The latest transit is now sub 2m…

CLEVER DESIGN​

New Transit Custom delivers improved proportions, with a lower step-in height for easier cabin entry, convenient slide-over access across the width of the front seats, and a sub 2.0 m height4, ideal for underground parking.

It looks good.
Plug in hybrid looks very interesting

Looks good. Is this the basis for the collaboration between Ford and VW, or is that still to come?

I’m not sure. Possibly.
Maybe Ford have the start and Volkswagen jump onboard next year with their tweaked design…?

I like the steering wheel feature that turns into a mini picnic table.

Yep like add a badge and extra £20k

That will be the interesting bit.
When I compare current vans, I really like the Transit. It’s on a par with Volkswagen, the only plus point with the Volkswagen van. Is I feel the driving position in the Transporter is nicer. You sit in a Volkswagen, the Transit feels like I’m sitting on it, if that makes sense.

I wonder if the new Transit has addressed this. Depending on pricing, the Ford might blow Volkswagen off the map, unless Volkswagen have a trump card with styling…?

Think VW trump card is the cult status following from the old buses and the cool active sport scene.
Think times have moved on, the VW cult bus left the bus stop years ago, it was only cool when it was a very affordable 2nd hand option.

If you want to charge premium prices, you need to deliver a premium product. Marketing will only get them so far. Forum posts on recent vans suggests that build quality has dropped off time during / after Covid, but prices have continued to rise.

All the mtb riders at Glenlivet still love to be seen in a T van still got a cool tag, but agree prices are not cool anymore!

Think times have moved on, the VW cult bus left the bus stop years ago, it was only cool when it was a very affordable 2nd hand option.

If you want to charge premium prices, you need to deliver a premium product. Marketing will only get them so far. Forum posts on recent vans suggests that build quality has dropped off time during / after Covid, but prices have continued to rise.

They turned them into Chelsea tractors.
The reliability finished years ago. T4 was the last solid van.
My T5 had engine failure
My T6 blew a turbo
Both vans 4.5 years old.

My T4 was great and to be fair, I never had any issues with my T5.1 140bhp.

Last edited:

You don't get ford transit shows to go and camp at with music and trade stands etc but still plenty of VW shows to go to. So I think the scene thing definitely still exists

All the mtb riders at Glenlivet still love to be seen in a T van still got a cool tag, but agree prices are not cool anymore!
Only if they survive the jumps on “Kieran’s line”
I might manage some of the jumps but not all.
Seen a GC600 in carpark there with nice BFG AT tyres and spotted it at Tarland 2 trails too - not seen owner yet.

Back