Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice re garage door options for low roof

O

Oceancargo

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello all and thanks for some great advice from present and past threads, very helpful for us buying. Our lovely ocean is expected in October, build week 35 (next week!). Much earlier than expected so we are quickly trying to work out how to get it in our low garage (2150mm but door hangs below 2000 when open). Has anyone out there had to re-door a garage and found a supplier that can cope with low clearance? Our local company has been very helpful, but don’t supply doors wide enough (4.3m). Also, just to check as forum answers have been yes and no to this - is the present VW 4 bike rack level or above the roof when closed?

Many many thanks! :help

We have a 5m roller door. Had it years but google will find you a supplier.

Thank you for replying. Rollerdoors will only work is they don’t wind up inside as there isn’t enough headroom for the big roll. Does your door wind up but go flat against the garage roof? We found one like by Hormann but that max door width is 3.5m.

We had to change an up and over to a sectional door... We have just over 2m clearance (from memory)... but also don't have an toll out awning...

Don't garage it unless you can guarantee it is dry when put away.
Wet Ocean - Damp Garage - Not good.

Just my opinion.

We lowered our van by 30mm to give it enough clearance to fit through our standard garage doors.

I replaced an up and over door with a Hormann sectional (like you, there no space for the roll of roller door above the lintel). The sectional door, when raised, is above the level of the lintel, whereas the up and over was a good 5cm lower.

A roller door with a full weatherproof motor box casing on the outside, that's if you haven't room inside above the lintel to ceiling. It can be done I have this for my garage door. Installing inside, a slimline roller door only requires a headroom of 205mm compared to a 300mm headroom for the standard door slats.
Max width opening from my supplier is 5500mm wide for the standard width slats, slimline ones are max 3000mm wide.

We had to change an up and over to a sectional door... We have just over 2m clearance (from memory)... but also don't have an toll out awning...
Could you let me know the name of the manufacturer of the door?

Many thanks!

Garador and Hormann are the same company now.
The cheaper basic doors (up and over, canopy, roller, and some sectional) are manufactured here at garador in the U.K. the more modern expensive looking are manufactured unsurprisingly in Germany.

Last edited:
I build my garage to make sure my Defender fitted in and in the back of my head a California witch i eventually now have....
Now VW comes with the Grand California i need to start over again.....:headbang
Think before you buy...:D

I build my garage to make sure my Defender fitted in and in the back of my head a California witch i eventually now have....
With my old up and over garage door, it used to scrape along the roof of my Defender....and I could only drive in frontwards. Now with my sectional door, I can reverse the Landie in and no more scratching.

Oh and the Cali fits too

I had an up and over garage door that allowed me to drive in but I couldn't shut the door becasue of the length of the garage/van.
I removed the door and fittings, braced the door with wood panels, put two large hinges on the same door, drilled the contrete garage walls. I'll take some pictures tomorrow, it's not pretty on the inside but it's a workable solution. I wasn't sure the doors or the garage walls could take the strain. Surprisingly, after a year it still works.

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

Last edited:
923061AD-D435-4E85-ADF9-CACE6F92D9BD.jpeg
Hello all and thanks for some great advice from present and past threads, very helpful for us buying. Our lovely ocean is expected in October, build week 35 (next week!). Much earlier than expected so we are quickly trying to work out how to get it in our low garage (2150mm but door hangs below 2000 when open). Has anyone out there had to re-door a garage and found a supplier that can cope with low clearance? Our local company has been very helpful, but don’t supply doors wide enough (4.3m). Also, just to check as forum answers have been yes and no to this - is the present VW 4 bike rack level or above the roof when closed?

I had the same issue with some very similar dimensions to yours. I knew before ordering the door that it was going to be tight all round. But after spending so much on the camper I was determined to find the solution so after studying many brochures etc I went ahead and ordered a rather expensive insulated door. As the garaged area was an integral in an older house I was limited to only minor changes to the garage.
In the end my fix turned out to be: don’t use the hangers that attached to the ceiling and then the runners of the door but instead go for fixing through the side of the runners to timbers I screwed to the ceiling. The runners had holes already in the sides where the hangers would have been.
The motor drive attached directly to the ceiling. All a tight squeeze but with room to spare so I went ahead and installed 25mm kingspan insulation to the ceiling.

Now camper is as snug as a bug in a rug in its new insulated house...

VB air suspension

VB air suspension would be an option. It has a car park setting which lowers the body more than 30mm.

I’m in the process of getting rid of my up and over door and getting a electric door, I have ordered it from rollerdor £445 and they are all made to measure, I’m going to fit it myself but you can get them to do it for £250 I think, they have good reviews and a uk based company so fingers crossed

View attachment 37328

I had the same issue with some very similar dimensions to yours. I knew before ordering the door that it was going to be tight all round. But after spending so much on the camper I was determined to find the solution so after studying many brochures etc I went ahead and ordered a rather expensive insulated door. As the garaged area was an integral in an older house I was limited to only minor changes to the garage.
In the end my fix turned out to be: don’t use the hangers that attached to the ceiling and then the runners of the door but instead go for fixing through the side of the runners to timbers I screwed to the ceiling. The runners had holes already in the sides where the hangers would have been.
The motor drive attached directly to the ceiling. All a tight squeeze but with room to spare so I went ahead and installed 25mm kingspan insulation to the ceiling.

Now camper is as snug as a bug in a rug in its new insulated house...
Nice veiw :thumb

Now VW comes with the Grand California i need to start over again.....:headbang
Think before you buy...:D
Thanks to all again. We have ordered a Teckentrup sectional which only loses 120mm headroom.

Reactions: Sad
Shadrack. I don't know about keeping a Cali in that garage. I think I want to come and live in it with that stunning blue sea view.

We have a novo port opener on our double width door What is good is that it opens by the motor running up a toothed belt on the side of the door runner. So maximum height in the garage for the van. Recommend as well as the 40 mm insulated door

Back