Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice on buying a late 07 2.5 174 Cali - high mileage

ceegee

ceegee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi there - my brother is looking at a 160k miles Cali (late 07 174 2.5) and looking for advice please on what to look for mechanically. I have had a Cali for nearly 10 years so very comfortable giving advice on habitation etc but what should he look out for on such a high miles vehicle? It’s had a new cylinder head and has FSH and one owner from new. Thanks

I'd say it's not high mileage, its a VW commercial vehicle that has potentially 200k++ miles left or more depending on way its been driven and looked after. I have a 2006 lwb T5 102 ps self conversion that Ive had for 10 years that spent its first few years as the fabled plumbers van so many wouldn't touch as a van to convert as it had 120k plus miles at the time. Its on 182k now and other than some suspension bits, tyres and cambelt change etc its still driving as well as it always has. It just passed its mot again with the tester repeating his annual comment about how good they are.

If it where me I'd check the mot advisory history online, the service history and if all seems sensible get a local mechanic to give it a once over.

It reminds me, I really ought to get around to selling the T5 (been meaning to ever since we bought the T6.... )

Last edited:
I might wonder why it's had a new cylinder head. Does the service recird say whether it was serviced using longlife oil? And if it has a turbo has that been replaced?

I wouldn’t worry about the mileage providing it has had plenty of correct oil changes. If there is a good file of history, receipts and evidence that it has been cared for that would reassure me too.
I’d also check Mot history and you could also check via that, that the mileage tally’s.
That’s a good engine, no timing belt issues to worry about.

Back