Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Add high miles or buy backup car?

If you
About to spend what seems like a ridiculouly large amount of cash on a new Cali.

I do quite a lot of long distance motorway miles for work and I have the option of using the Cali or buying another cheapish car (say around £5k) to do the work miles in.

Question is which will work out the cheapest option?

How much less would a 5 year old 90k mile Cali be worth vs. a 30k mile 5 year old

Would guess an additional car would cost me at least £7-8K in tax, insurance, depreciation, tyres, repairs etc., over 5 years.

So would I lose that much with an extra 60K miles in resale value?
If you are already fretting about high mileage on the Cali, buy another one you can pile on the mileage. That is what we do.

Starlight is my daily drive which was always the plan and part of the justification. We now need to add a car for the teenager to learn to drive in. Bah humbug

Starlight is my daily drive which was always the plan and part of the justification. We now need to add a car for the teenager to learn to drive in. Bah humbug
Will he be driving the Cali once he pass's his test though :talktothehand

Have you looked at changing at 3 years ?
Don't think I'd change unless I was moving away from the Cali altogether. Think I'll see if I can manage trying to use my wife's car when I can for longer trips to get the miles down.

Interesting thread. We decided to keep my Toyota IQ for the time being as well as the Cali because I do a lot of 'just popping into Sainsbury's for a pint of milk' kind of stuff, and having driven a teeny weeny car for ages I am a bit nervous about driving a small bus! I suspect once I get used to the Cali I will probably lose the IQ, reluctantly because it is such a great little car.

In addition to as many weekends away as my husband and I can manage around work commitments, I intend to use the Cali for my fortnightly trips up north to visit my aging parents. I can't stay over at theirs as my dad has dementia and gets very confused if anything is out of the ordinary (which means no-one gets any sleep), and I am very much looking forward to staying in the Cali rather than stopping over at my sister's house (much as I love her, I find it more tiring to stay there than to drive the 4 hours home on the same day!).

I am looking forward to the headlights in the Cali though - the IQ lights are so unbelievably bad on the A41 in the dark, rain and mud that I have to find a lorry to follow now that winter has set in. Not very safe!

T5 was my daily drive, and now T6
My two daughters learned to drive in T5 :) According to them, the best car to improve driving skills.

Thought-provoking thread. When we bought our Cali I never gave a moment's consideration to 'giving up' one of our daily cars. But I'm now giving it a bit of thought. :confused:

Back