Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Deprecation on Beach. Am I missing something?

This myth has been debunked by many different research sources, including the US Environmental Protection Agency.

Interesting article that concentrates on Climate change and CO2 production with NO comment on the environmental pollution due to extraction of lithium , copper and various rare earth's used in the production of EV vehicles solar panels and wind turbines. But of course all that environmental damage is taking place in 3rd world countries, Out of sight Out of mind.

IF that ban isn't postponed, which I fully expect it to be, or possibly even cancelled altogether, then the fact that you won't be able to buy a diesel car in the UK after 2030 will no doubt mean that those that already own such vehicles are more likely to hang onto them. If that were to happen then the unwritten law of supply and demand will keep values high. We are only waiting for the Government to wake up and realise the utter stupidity of their ban.

Anyway, unless I am mistaken, the ban applies only to car sales, not commercials on which the California is based. You should still be able to buy an ICE Cali after 2030.
Personally I think the diesel ban will improve 2nd hand prices until the solution gets you 400mile range.

Interesting article that concentrates on Climate change and CO2 production with NO comment on the environmental pollution due to extraction of lithium , copper and various rare earth's used in the production of EV vehicles solar panels and wind turbines. But of course all that environmental damage is taking place in 3rd world countries, Out of sight Out of mind.

I thought that too when I read the article. But then I wondered if the damage and exploitation from mining has been exaggerated by petrosexuals.

I thought that too when I read the article. But then I wondered if the damage and exploitation from mining has been exaggerated by petrosexuals.
A picture paints a thousand word, yes those are petro sexual lorries that look like ants on hill side!

I have no problem with change to green tech to try and reverse what mankind is doing to the planet, in the name of Environmental sustainability!

I fear this is the latest mad cap idea designed to do more for world ecomomics rather than doing good for the planet As Billed.

Time will tell, I hope I’m wrong, but we’re not making any more resources on Earth, we just using them at a rapid rate.

77DDA59F-4CB7-4D47-AD38-B86D88F45E83.jpeg

325D54F0-9961-4C33-AD4C-C9B778B5F415.jpeg

A picture paints a thousand word, yes those are petro sexual lorries that look like ants on hill side!

I have no problem with change to green tech to try and reverse what mankind is doing to the planet, in the name of Environmental sustainability!

I fear this is the latest mad cap idea designed to do more for world ecomomics rather than doing good for the planet As Billed.

Time will tell, I hope I’m wrong, but we’re not making any more resources on Earth, we just using them at a rapid rate.

View attachment 113388

View attachment 113390
Happens under the Ocean for ICE, but you don’t see it..so it dosn’t matter.

I’m a fan of ICE + EV as we drive both. Both have +/-.

But it does make sense for the UK to drill for its own oil again, as it’s another step as a island nation to being more self sufficient, along with solar, wind & wave and avoids the need having to buy from other countries.

View attachment 113388

View attachment 113390

Unlike fossil fuels, EV batteries can be repurposed after their useful life as car batteries. And after that ~90% of the materials used in EV batteries can be profitably recycled.

Over time, the need to mine the raw material will drop to ~10% of peak demand.

And then there are future technologies, such as solid state batteries, already used where safety is paramount and an exploding battery disastrous, such as pacemakers.

With ref to the PCP part of this thread. When I was looking for a California I asked about finance and what rate they charged...... can't remember what the rate was but I was told it was a "flat rate interest"...... implying this was a good thing. I went home and researched "flat rate" only to find out it was definitely NOT a good thing - particuarly for the ammount needed for the California.

I ended up buying the California and signed up to this finance package (I got £700 off the price for doing so), but next month I paid the lot off and effectively pocketed the savings.

At the same time I bought a Skoda, and I asked the salesman what was the finance rate - he told me, and it was significantly less than for the VW. I then asked if it was a flat rate , and was told that it wasn't. So when I got home I worked it out and indeed it was not a flat rate and all the numbers tied up with their quote. So I ended up buying the Skoda as well and took out the (much better than california) finance package.
When I got the paperwork for the Skoda, the finance was part of VW finance !!!

Basically, the "flat rate" assumes that you never pay off your capital until the last payment - so its a really bad deal. You need to check as I think this is a very common method of PCP finance.

After the above episode, I checked with my two sons, they had both bought cars with PCP flat rates. I ended up re-financing these contracts. I think they can work out a value for early payment which was beneficial.

What p1ssed me off was the way the salesman assured me the flat rate was the best thing and nothing to worry about. "Don't worry ... it's a flat rate"

I bought the California from a different dealer.:)
I will check the loan amounts! As I now understand it’s basically 2 loans I think the calculations will be fairly straightforward.

With flat rate interest, the interest is calculated on the original amount borrowed for the life of the agreement.

With APR, the interest is calculated on the amount outstanding each month, so the interest component of the monthly payment decreases every month.
For that reason a loan at 5% flat rate would work out more expensive than a loan at 5%APR.
I thought it was illegal not to quote an APR figure on loans issued in UK but I could be mistaken.
See example below of how the interest decreases every month.

View attachment 113306
But I now think that I understand that pcp is 2 loans. One interest only and one repayment. So I need to get a doc quote and work out what the APR is on both parts. The interest only bit will just be a flat rate as the capital is not getting paid back.

View attachment 113388

View attachment 113390

This US petrol chemical plant fire looks fairly harmless…..
Nope, still massively devastating for the environment.

IMG_9830.jpeg

But I now think that I understand that pcp is 2 loans. One interest only and one repayment. So I need to get a doc quote and work out what the APR is on both parts. The interest only bit will just be a flat rate as the capital is not getting paid back.
Probably better off buying an older van and reducing interest payments. Residual % tend to be better on older vans when you come to sell on, rather than forced into more finance at the end of the PCP term on a new van.

If you were to settle the loan early at some stage, then by law the settlement figure is the capital still owed plus a maximum of 2 months interest.

Probably better off buying an older van and reducing interest payments. Residual % tend to be better on older vans when you come to sell on, rather than forced into more finance at the end of the PCP term on a new van.
But the prices of older vans are nuts?!! If you get a discount through dtd a hi spec beach is 60k ish. A 5 year old one is between 45 and 50k it seems. 10 years is 30k plus. To me the bargain seems to be getting a new one!!!

But the prices of older vans are nuts?!! If you get a discount through dtd a hi spec beach is 60k ish. A 5 year old one is between 45 and 50k it seems. 10 years is 30k plus. To me the bargain seems to be getting a new one!!!
Exactly - We purchased our 11 year old Beach 4 years ago for £27.5k, could easily sell it tomorrow for £30k. (The person that we purchased it from owned it for 5 years and paid £31k for it); New invoice price was £37,394.

Zero depreciation for us, no finance payments. Theoretical gain when we sell has covered servicing at VW main dealer incl cambelt, water pump & new tyres etc.

Just rereading this thread. Couple of changes!

ICE new sales ban pushed back to 2035 https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/consumer/2030-uk-car-ban-delay

And a Zero percent HP offer for October! Have to put a 50% deposit but the interest savings vs PCP are enormous! So my Beach is even less prone to depreciation!
It could be argued that the ban will in fact increase the value of ICE due to increased demand to keep them, so by pushing back the deadline values will go the other way......

ICE new sales ban pushed back to 2035 https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/consumer/2030-uk-car-ban-delay

And a Zero percent HP offer for October! Have to put a 50% deposit but the interest savings vs PCP are enormous! So my Beach is even less prone to depreciation!
If anything the 0% offer will make the depreciation worse not better.

Why would anyone thats got the 50% available buy a year old van & pay interest on borrowing the rest, when they can get a new one & pay no interest unless the year old one is a substantial saving.
Or if they have 100% available take the VW deal & keep the other half in the bank earning interest.

Why would anyone thats got the 50% available buy a year old van & pay interest on borrowing the rest, when they can get a new one & pay no interest unless the year old one is a substantial saving.
Or if they have 100% available take the VW deal & keep the other half in the bank earning interest.
Because the offer is only until January and then they will probably stop making them?!

Is it at all possible that VW will extend production?
No idea. I was told reliably by two dealers in September that orders were finishing any minute. Then Vw announced a sales promotion that ends at the end of January I think!

No idea. I was told reliably by two dealers in September that orders were finishing any minute. Then Vw announced a sales promotion that ends at the end of January I think!
You can always tell when a car salesman is lying, their lips move!!!!!!
I was told the same thing by VW Van Centre Birmingham last month that the reason they won't take a penny of list price is they've stopped making them and all the dealers are scrambling for whatever is left in the system.
Clearly this isn't the case or VW wouldn't be chucking such big incentives at them!

pleas

Please can someone post a link to the 0% offer details? I’ve taken a quick look hit couldn’t find anything?

pleas

Please can someone post a link to the 0% offer details? I’ve taken a quick look hit couldn’t find anything?

You can produce your own electricity at home if you meet the minimum requirement, which many don’t / can’t!
then the any electric comes from a traditional source !
France for example have already confirmed they will not be providing Electrification to the wider areas, so what are the real world options?
EV production causes acute world wide pollution both in its use , production And end of life disposal !
Be careful of misinformation from powerful vested interests (fossil fuel folk). Of course, one believes what one wants to believe but there are genuine scientific facts out there.

Back