Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A rare beast, indeed!

Rhyddin

Rhyddin

A T6 Beach, named Dory
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I've been interested in the California for ages and, as a result, I pay attention to try and spot them on the road.

Therefore, I think I t's quite remarkable that I can count the number of sightings in a year on one hand - including the one on a transporter which I reported recently! I thought you were meant to start seeing more of something when you start looking for it?

I love the idea of soon owning something so rare, though I'm also considering the possibility that the motorway is not it's natural habitat and that's why I never see them. Kind of like looking for giraffes on the Moors!

Anyway, just thought I'd report that I've still not seen one, despite doing another 250 miles on the M6 today.

Totally agree with you, normally when you purchase a new car you start keeping an eye out for the same model and you see quite a few, but not with the Cali, I've seen three in four months. Maybe they are all hibernating for the winter and will soon come out of their winter sleep.

Totally agree with you, normally when you purchase a new car you start keeping an eye out for the same model and you see quite a few, but not with the Cali, I've seen three in four months. Maybe they are all hibernating for the winter and will soon come out of their winter sleep.
Harder still to spot those of us with the stealth model without an awning.

I seen one a couple of weeks ago coming off JNC 9 M6 near wednesbury.
white with i think German number plate.
But I agree they are rare to see it seems.
I must admit though i do tend to like the rarity bit though.

Robbie :thumb

I rarely spot them too, and if I do I am never sure if it was a genuine Cali. Spotting them is difficult, but we have 2 others at my work bizarrely. An SE and a beach but I rarely see them on the road.

Best way to spot them is via sliding door on drivers side (in UK), and the roof. If they have an awning it makes it much easier at speed to spot.

I rarely spot them too, and if I do I am never sure if it was a genuine Cali. Spotting them is difficult, but we have 2 others at my work bizarrely. An SE and a beach but I rarely see them on the road.

Best way to spot them is via sliding door on drivers side (in UK), and the roof. If they have an awning it makes it much easier at speed to spot.
How many Calis are sold in the UK each year (approx as it must vary slightly each year)?

Ah yes, they do seem to be very rare in the wild.

Solitary, nomadic and difficult to spot. However they can occasionally be found congregating together in great numbers, displaying their large grey crests. After just one or two days they once again scatter to the four winds.
Many, but not all tend to migrate south in the summer and they do seem to be drawn by the lure of the sea.
The gestation period for the great crested Cali is the subject of much discussion. It can vary and be anything up to six months but once they arrive they almost always flit off somewhere immediately making them difficult to spot.
There are two sub species which are often compared with each other. This issue has been the subject of much pointless debate. You may prefer one or the other or like both.
Finally, they are an acquired taste. Some people just prefer something plainer and less exotic. Some like them stuffed whilst others prefer them to be plain and un-garnished.

Exquisite....well done 'David'...sorry Borris.

Ah yes, they do seem to be very rare in the wild.

Solitary, nomadic and difficult to spot. However they can occasionally be found congregating together in great numbers, displaying their large grey crests. After just one or two days they once again scatter to the four winds.
Many, but not all tend to migrate south in the summer and they do seem to be drawn by the lure of the sea.
The gestation period for the great crested Cali is the subject of much discussion. It can vary and be anything up to six months but once they arrive they almost always flit off somewhere immediately making them difficult to spot.
There are two sub species which are often compared with each other. This issue has been the subject of much pointless debate. You may prefer one or the other or like both.
Finally, they are an acquired taste. Some people just prefer something plainer and less exotic. Some like them stuffed whilst others prefer them to be plain and un-garnished.

Rumour has it that that there may soon be a gathering, somewhere in deepest Gloucestershire... mind you, it is just a rumour...

There was recently a solitary one, unnoticed it seems from North East Scotland to South Wales and back again. As per Borris' notes it was solitary, nomadic and apparently difficult to spot.
At one point on the road works on the M5 there was a 'van' to the left and a 'van' to the right and I thought it was a lovely moment who cared if one was a beach and the other a caravelle. I just enjoyed the moment.

Rumour has it that that there may soon be a gathering, somewhere in deepest Gloucestershire... mind you, it is just a rumour...
Yes, I have heard that. They may still be difficult to spot as the plumage can often be quite subdued. Although you may spot the odd prize specimen breaking cover sporting either white, red or yellow markings.
Thankfully, their mating habits remain a mystery.

There seems to be a bit of a cluster down here in Dorset, not much waving though. Plenty of conversions as well but I only wave to the red ones. ;)

I've spotted two in N Wales in the last month or two. One in a small lane near Harlech. Both a bit shocked to see the other we almost forgot to wave.
The other in a small car park on the A470. I pulled in and stopped then another pulled in next to me. I was heading North and they were heading South. Both choosing the same place for a break. Time for a quick chat and then we drove our respective ways.

I've spotted quite a few in Surrey and had some nice exchanges of waving too :thumb always makes me happy when I get a wave :happy

In Vienna I see them regularly, two today on the way to the garden centre. But in Hungary, VW don't even sell them...so they are a rare sight indeed, just the occasional German or Russian visiting Budapest.

According to my dealer in Belgium there are 300 cali's sold every year... a cali is much more exclusive than Porsche for example.

I always wave enthusiastically when I see a Cali.... on a good day I might even wave with both hands :Nailbiting

Saw an empty one today. No one to wave to!

our queue to get in to blackpool pleasure beach yesterday took us past a nice brown cali parked on the prom

Hotel C you'll be happy to know I used the search before I submitted a new thread, yay.

I was going to ask the question; "Do California owners wave to each other, if they see another?, rather like bikers do. When we first our car it was quite rare and we did get a few waves from other XC60 owner. There are so many now my hand would fall off!

I do like the idea of a vehicle that is rarer than most. I was told recently by a dealer that VW sell 750/year in the UK; their allocation is/was 25.

I suppose the next question is about snobbery who to wave to, do conversions count or does it have to be "original" VW campers?

I wave at anyone in a obvious camper vw and often do. I have accidentally waved at builders once or twice i am sure.

There are owners in every age of vw from splits to t6s who will partake in a little scene snobbery because they're "not old enough" or young enough or converted not converted but most just appreciate the joy of vw camper vans and share that joy.

Weirdly when I got my t25 it was mostly ignored by everyone because it was the ugly grandson but in the past 3 years it's got so popular that I get waves from everyone.

The beauty of a conversion is you can do it entirely you're own way. As good as the Cali is, there are still things I'd change if I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back