Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

680 new wheels and All Terrain tyres

Hello Liam,

Thank you for the information.

I looked up various online shops and spoke to my local car dealer (which is normally quite good to get tyres).

I ordered the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 235/60 R17C 117/115 from on online shop. I hope I get them end of next week. I also hope that those tyres are not too old. Before I sign for them I will check them.

Happy hopefully new tyres getting Grand California,
Eberhard

Hi there Topsy,

I have had the carpet since May and fitted perfectly, but it has slowly shrank. The carpet is luxurious and love it. But it is a pain around the cupboard under the wardrobe as it catches the bottom of the door.

Agree GVFM probably the cheapest accessories available. Well they only do x2 for the GC!
I have received my carpet around two weeks ago and have same issue under wardrobe cupboard. have raised complaint with dealer as catches on cupboard door will see what they say!

I have received my carpet around two weeks ago and have same issue under wardrobe cupboard. have raised complaint with dealer as catches on cupboard door will see what they say!
Well done will be raising it today with mine. Thanks for sharing will let all know what they advise.

Hi Jester

did you finally get yourself some posh new wheels?!?
Ha, alas no. it was the wheel arch extenders I was referring to in the photos.

Still cant find the courage to pull the trigger on anything I like as the offset on all the wheels are well over the standard spec, most I see are 35 or less the standard is 60. So if you have a problem with bearings, suspension, drivetrain or anything linked to the wheels VW will wriggle out of any warranty claim. The ones shown are pretty much standard spec.

It's about time that wheel manufacturers made wheels for the GC ie with weight load and offset taken into consideration and in 17".

As mentioned above below are the additional and closeup pictures of our new wheels:
c5026d8ac14cdf51e1151ef5f972c3d0.jpg
463cd778200e7ef106869dee7b33c8d1.jpg
fee2c4060e21702095b143e692e4bca2.jpg
299bd81b7b379e99a214a39c3c6d373f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Hi Looks great, just what i am looking for.
If i may ask what the size and load rating of these generals is ? I have the very same wheels but am having trouble finding an AT tyre with a load rating of 115 or above which the GC680 + 3.88t needs.

Hi Looks great, just what i am looking for.
If i may ask what the size and load rating of these generals is ? I have the very same wheels but am having trouble finding an AT tyre with a load rating of 115 or above which the GC680 + 3.88t needs.
Size = 255/60 x18

Load rating 1120kg

Size = 255/60 x18

Load rating 1120kg

Hi

thanks for that, the only General grabber AT3 in this size that I can find have a load rating of 112, which as you say equates to 1120kg per tyre. I assume you have those tyres.
My GC680 is gross legal plated weight of 3880kg with a front axel weight of 2100kg and rear axel weight of 2380kg. Therefore this requires a minimum tyre load rating of 115 which equates to 1215 kg (114 tyre rating =1180 kg, rear axel limit is 2.380 divided by 2 = 1190kg per tyre, you don’t take the overall weight and divide by 4 to get minimum load ratings, you must take your highest individual axel weight limit and divide by 2) For this reason I am struggling to find AT tyres of any brand that works

Please beware that if your 680 is the same as mine then you are probably running tyres on the rear axel that are not rated high enough, this may void you insurance if something happens and may be dangerous especially as I note you have, like me, a tow bar and tow when weight could be rear biased. Note the tyre loading supplied from the factory is 117 = 1285kg which builds in a safety margin which is needed imo as the GC is a heavy van to start with. This may not be the case with a van plated at 3500kg but I note all GC‘s come from the factory with 117 rated tyres all round.

I continue my search for a tyre that works.

Hi

thanks for that, the only General grabber AT3 in this size that I can find have a load rating of 112, which as you say equates to 1120kg per tyre. I assume you have those tyres.
My GC680 is gross legal plated weight of 3880kg with a front axel weight of 2100kg and rear axel weight of 2380kg. Therefore this requires a minimum tyre load rating of 115 which equates to 1215 kg (114 tyre rating =1180 kg, rear axel limit is 2.380 divided by 2 = 1190kg per tyre, you don’t take the overall weight and divide by 4 to get minimum load ratings, you must take your highest individual axel weight limit and divide by 2) For this reason I am struggling to find AT tyres of any brand that works

Please beware that if your 680 is the same as mine then you are probably running tyres on the rear axel that are not rated high enough, this may void you insurance if something happens and may be dangerous especially as I note you have, like me, a tow bar and tow when weight could be rear biased. Note the tyre loading supplied from the factory is 117 = 1285kg which builds in a safety margin which is needed imo as the GC is a heavy van to start with. This may not be the case with a van plated at 3500kg but I note all GC‘s come from the factory with 117 rated tyres all round.

Agree with your math, I have been searching for months and all I found was the ones I have on my GC at the moment, not my flavour really but better than existing.

the search goes on. Please let me know if you find a Compatible wheel.

I also spoke to a reputable VW converter company called vanworxs which are local to me about compatible wheels and they indicated they would not put any more than a 17 inch wheel on any of their van conversions but fit some Black Rhino and Delta wheels.

Hi

Thanks for the info
When I spoke with Rogue Alloy Wheels this was the combination they recommended and they said that they had fitted the same combination to many similar vans. To be fair to them they seemed to know what they were talking about so I took them at their word..
We bought our van as an ex-dealer demo and the towbar was already fitted and we don't have any plans to use it.
Based on your calculations I think we are just about OK

As mentioned above below are the additional and closeup pictures of our new wheels:
c5026d8ac14cdf51e1151ef5f972c3d0.jpg
463cd778200e7ef106869dee7b33c8d1.jpg
fee2c4060e21702095b143e692e4bca2.jpg
299bd81b7b379e99a214a39c3c6d373f.jpg

These really are excellent. Very envious! I also could do with a winter tyre option…

Apologies if I missed a previous comment from you on this, but are you finding the drive and handling ok? Is the circumference the same / any Speedo calibration issues? (Sorry for dumb questions - don’t know much about tyres).

Hello,

After I tried to get the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate locally I ordered them online. They arrived a week later and I got them installed today.

They look rather good on the GC 600 and give me a bit peace of mind for the Irish winter and some slippery gras. Also they are good on wet roads.

Regards,
Eberhard

These really are excellent. Very envious! I also could do with a winter tyre option…

Apologies if I missed a previous comment from you on this, but are you finding the drive and handling ok? Is the circumference the same / any Speedo calibration issues? (Sorry for dumb questions - don’t know much about tyres).
Hi - no worries the ride is slightly firmer in a good way and the speedo now is very accurate..
As mentioned above the load rating of these tyres is lower than the standard setup and if you are at max payload they're not going to be suitable.
I'm taking our loaded van to a weighbridge later this week just to double check.
I'll keep this thread updated

As mentioned above the load rating of these tyres is lower than the standard setup and if you are at max payload they're not going to be suitable.
The load rating required is not dependent on what you are actually carrying but is dictated by what it states on the plate for max axle load.

Your tyres would fail an MOT - from the testers manual :

Check the manufacturer’s plate to find the maximum laden weight of an axle. You must check that the tyres fitted have a load rating that can carry the laden weight of the axle.

I certainly wouldn't want to be involved in a serious accident with underrated tyres on the vehicle. A 680 needs 115 which is 1250kg as a minimum, the wheels & tyres would be one of the first things that an accident investigator or insurance company would look at especially as its immediately obvious that they are not factory fitted.

The load rating required is not dependent on what you are actually carrying but is dictated by what it states on the plate for max axle load.

Your tyres would fail an MOT - from the testers manual :

Check the manufacturer’s plate to find the maximum laden weight of an axle. You must check that the tyres fitted have a load rating that can carry the laden weight of the axle.

I certainly wouldn't want to be involved in a serious accident with underrated tyres on the vehicle. A 680 needs 115 which is 1250kg as a minimum, the wheels & tyres would be one of the first things that an accident investigator or insurance company would look at especially as its immediately obvious that they are not factory fitted.
Thanks very much for your feedback.
Just spoken to Rogue Alloy Wheels and they recognised their mistake and are going to change them for 16 inch wheels with the correct rated tyres.
Thank god for ethical companies

Well done Rogue Alloy Wheels for accepting responsibility and offering to change your wheels and tyres.

Yes also good to hear that. Much better to deal with companies that resolve their mistakes rather than pretend they never make any.

Thanks very much for your feedback.
Just spoken to Rogue Alloy Wheels and they recognised their mistake and are going to change them for 16 inch wheels with the correct rated tyres.
Thank god for ethical companies

Pleased they came clean but interested to know why 16”. Really appreciate how frustrating it is as I have been searching for 18 months for a wheel that will comply or nearly.

143C818B-57C0-48FB-9FB9-A6B4B8BF8B1D.jpeg
These are my 18s (1250kg) with 255/55 continental 120 rated tyres. Granted would have liked AT tyres to fill arches more.

Pleased they came clean but interested to know why 16”. Really appreciate how frustrating it is as I have been searching for 18 months for a wheel that will comply or nearly.
The 16" wheel allows you to fit a General Grabber AT3 with a load rating of 115 = 1215 kg which exceeds the max rear axel load rating of 2380 kg (ie 1215 x 2 = 2430 kg).

So I get the 'big' AT look, improved winter grip and the right load rating

Greetings all to yet another day of government lies and broken promises - but I digress -my wheels and tyres have been swapped out with 16" wheels and 115 rated General Grabber At3's.
Pic's below - and I think they look great
A big thank you to Rogue Alloy Wheels for sorting this out without any quibbles!

This only leaves one job on my "to-do" list - LPG gas conversion.
I'm thinking of a single Safefill 11kg plastic bottle.
Seems straightforward enough my only query is if it permitted to fill a loose bottle on a garage forecourt or not.
Does anyone have any experience of these?

The message on their website is a bit ambiguous

LPG is now available on many petrol station forecourts however as the industry has had concerns about people illegally filling rented cylinders, you may be refused in many of these until the Safefill message has been completely understood, which is an ongoing process.
39cda1150a86d164fea6f9fa4bff9f1f.jpg
98c751e30643c71f866382a26014b4db.jpg
a484ce17062035a422994ed20b265ce2.jpg
595050f933694ef273f47f9ef2242c47.jpg

Greetings all to yet another day of government lies and broken promises - but I digress -my wheels and tyres have been swapped out with 16" wheels and 115 rated General Grabber At3's.
Pic's below - and I think they look great
A big thank you to Rogue Alloy Wheels for sorting this out without any quibbles!

This only leaves one job on my "to-do" list - LPG gas conversion.
I'm thinking of a single Safefill 11kg plastic bottle.
Seems straightforward enough my only query is if it permitted to fill a loose bottle on a garage forecourt or not.
Does anyone have any experience of these?

The message on their website is a bit ambiguous

LPG is now available on many petrol station forecourts however as the industry has had concerns about people illegally filling rented cylinders, you may be refused in many of these until the Safefill message has been completely understood, which is an ongoing process.
39cda1150a86d164fea6f9fa4bff9f1f.jpg
98c751e30643c71f866382a26014b4db.jpg
a484ce17062035a422994ed20b265ce2.jpg
595050f933694ef273f47f9ef2242c47.jpg

Look great.
I’ve just bought a set of OZ from them, super fast delivery (next day) which was a surprise as I had free delivery 4-7days and reduced price (Black Friday deal).
Very pleased

Back