Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

5G/4G antenna for remote locations?

Billylou

Billylou

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Would be interesting to install a speedtest app(and make a test where you don't have a good reception )
So it arrived today and we’ve had a play with it. Results not as good as our home internet but appear to be good enough, I think. Photos below are a comparison between home and antenna. Hope that helps.

FEDF7382-06DD-4648-BB2A-1BAA008634BB.png

E37FA392-5D44-48C4-8A32-788F9659B3BB.png

69D0DC34-E786-4403-AF49-B128824D8477.jpeg

Billylou

Billylou

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
General surfing etc is pretty good. If it remains like this I’ll be happy.
Ps. I tried it without the antenna, I.e just the router and the performance dipped.

HappyGus

HappyGus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
but how it is when you use the 4G of your phone versus the 4G through the Antenna+router?

HappyGus

HappyGus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Awesome, thank you very much! One thing I would also be interested is when you have no(or almost no) internet with only your phone, see if it improves the range(not only the speed)

Erbster

Erbster

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Related issue: when roaming in EU, I almost never get 4G it’s always 3G, even in big cities, when I would expect a strong 4G signal. I think the provider “throttles” the connection of roaming phones. Therefore connection speed always seems slower than UK when roaming

kp64zl

kp64zl

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Related issue: when roaming in EU, I almost never get 4G it’s always 3G, even in big cities, when I would expect a strong 4G signal. I think the provider “throttles” the connection of roaming phones. Therefore connection speed always seems slower than UK when roaming

Interesting -- I've not had that problem myself (test limited to France, Spain, Switzerland, India) - although sometimes have had to switch local network

I'm on EE with an iPhone.

Tomato

Tomato

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Great info, many thanks for this. My research showed UK network providers have varying 4G across EU, Vodafone came out top, many of the others piggy back their EU partners. O2, EE and 3 ok

I would expect the extra antenna to be most useful to hunt 4G. I’ll see how my set up works when fitted. My Beach also has VW wifi / connect/ whatever it’s called so maybe I wasted my money if a decent antenna is plumbed in already at the factory. Will test!

Erbster

Erbster

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Interesting -- I've not had that problem myself (test limited to France, Spain, Switzerland, India) - although sometimes have had to switch local network

I'm on EE with an iPhone.

I’m on three with an iPhone

VW California Club