Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2nd VW Transporter 4Motion Off-road Festival

All very spectacular and brave , but to me not the reason i bought the Cali.
And....if on your own you would not be doing these .
Seeing others before you doing it and knowing there are verhicles equiped with winches , makes it much easyer to cross the line....
But still a good training for your Icelandtrip

What was second prize, a week?

All very spectacular and brave , but to me not the reason i bought the Cali.
Of course not. Neither for us.

If we wanted to do off-road trials as a hobby, we would have bought a Landrover, a Jeep, or, if it had to be a 'Bulli', an old T3 Syncro.

We love to make beautiful trips, away from it all. That's why we bought a Cali - and love it!
AND we love to make those trips into somewhat uncharted territory: Morocco, the Balkan, Iceland, Norway in winter, etc. - away from the Caravan Club Camp sites, the hardened pitches, and the tarmac parking lots where the White Giants lurk - with as few limitations to what we can do as possible. Thus, we have encountered somewhat 'challenging' driving situations (terrain, bad roads and pistes) more often already. That's why we bought a 4Motion and equipped it as we did.

And like with any decent piece of kit, we think one had better learn how to use it properly and wisely. That's why we go to such events.

Last edited:
Is your cali is a standard factory 4motion , no modifications ? what type of tyres where you using during the event ?
There were a few standard factory 4Motions in the group, even a few Long Wheel Base variants, without further modifications. But most had at least a raised suspension and underside protection.

Ours has had several modifications over the years, all described elsewhere on this forum (search our topics). Most relevant are:
  • Air suspension with raised off-road pre-set
  • Metal underside protection
  • Raised drive train vents
  • Raised motor air intake
  • Reinforced towing eyes
  • We carry a 12V compressor to manipulate tyre pressure
Our tyres were our 'regular' summer tyres, Michelin Lattitude Cross, 225/70/R16, slightly wider and higher than the regular size for our type of Cali (215/65/R16).

That is very cool! - thank for sharing, would love to have a go (and to have a 'spare' van to do it in)

Nice, I would like to do that to my T6 after a few years. Nice that you share your experiences.

in one word: supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

There were a few standard factory 4Motions in the group, even a few Long Wheel Base variants, without further modifications. But most had at least a raised suspension and underside protection.

Ours has had several modifications over the years, all described elsewhere on this forum (search our topics). Most relevant are:
  • Air suspension with raised off-road pre-set
  • Metal underside protection
  • Raised drive train vents
  • Raised motor air intake
  • Reinforced towing eyes
  • We carry a 12V compressor to manipulate tyre pressure
Our tyres were our 'regular' summer tyres, Michelin Lattitude Cross, 225/70/R16, slightly wider and higher than the regular size for our type of Cali (215/65/R16).
No rear differential lock ?

Ikr,.

No rear differential lock ?

Ikr,.
No, as we have explained elsewhere on this forum, only a rear diff lock has very limited use on a 4Motion, in our eyes. We are currently in Iceland's Highland (in Landmannalaugur now, hence the internet connection to post this), haven't missed it yet. It's more a wannahave than a need-to-have, really.

But let's not start this discussion/open this can of worms here again; there are plenty opinions on the issue already on the forum )

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

I ordered mine without difflock as well, I just tried it with one rear wherl in the air, basically all weight on one front wheel and one rear and the esp takes care of the spinning rear wheel. If I where constantly driving like this I would get it but I sure will not. I have 4 motion mainly for snow etc on even ground and then it is of no use.

bvddobb, I'm very interested about your experience/oppinion of suspensions and tyres after the Iceland trip.

bvddobb, I'm very insterested in your oppinion about the susoension after Iceland. Also about tyres, but certainly more abour you suspension.

bvddobb, I'm very insterested in your oppinion about the susoension after Iceland. Also about tyres, but certainly more abour you suspension.
Well, we're in Landmannalaugar right now, will be going to Nyidalur later today. So, we have had our first stretches of Icelandic mountain road and river crossings behind us. So far very happy with suspension and tyres. Even on very steep pebble stretches no problem with grip at all. Also done a long stretch on a sandy river bottom (the 'road' actually being a river bed ) and we've had no issues with that. We did lower the pressure on the tyres before going on the gravel, but not further when on the sand. No issues thus far. Will let you know again when we are out of the Highlands, in a week or so.

No, as we have explained elsewhere on this forum, only a rear diff lock has very limited use on a 4Motion, in our eyes. We are currently in Iceland's Highland (in Landmannalaugur now, hence the internet connection to post this), haven't missed it yet. It's more a wannahave than a need-to-have, really.

But let's not start this discussion/open this can of worms here again; there are plenty opinions on the issue already on the forum )

I think so, thanks. (Movie time 2:40)

Ikr,.

Am I missing something here?

Having watched the video clip, clearly there are people who enjoy this and other events like it and each to their own. However, what I am unable to understand is why would anyone buy a very expensive camper van only to then try and trash it doing something that it wasn't designed to do?

Surely if you like this kind of off roading stuff then wouldn't it make better sense to get yourself a vehicle that was at least designed with that sort of thing in mind. Then go and join one of those clubs for people that enjoy spending their time getting stuck in mud and pulling each other out.

I have a nearly new 180SE dsg 4motion with a dif lock but would never consider driving through a pond and up and down steep slippery banks to reach a potential camp site for fear of wrecking it. However I might have to drive accross a slippery grassy campsite or on a snow, ice or mud covered road but that is about it.

Why?

Confused from Kent.

We have written about it before on this forum.

We don't have a Cali to do off road trials. We have a Cali to travel. And in our travels, we do not want to be limited, or as little as possible, in the places we can go. That's why we have a 4Motion with the works.

And to learn what we can do, what our limits are, and build confidence and knowledge, we attend trainings such as these. Having an expensive piece of kit, we want to know how to handle it correctly and wisely.

Does that mean we will do Paris-Dakar with our Cali? No! Does it mean we go into Iceland's Highlands or across Morocco in our Cali? Hell, yes!

Would we have wanted to go to to the Costa Brava for four weeks, we would have bought a caravan and joined the Caravan Club...

Last edited:
@Borris , think it's not the value of the verhicle that is the most important factor ,,but the needs of the one owning it.
We all drive expencive verhicles but all have diffrent goals.
How much you think a full spec. LR Defender is ....i owned one and did some minor offroad with mine . The things you see at events ....brand new +50.000€ LR Def , Disco and even Range Rovers thru mud and scrubbin against treebranches .
Gives me also shivers....but if they are ok with it it's theire choice.
Offcoarse " offroading " with a Cali is not to compare with this but we are talking the same amount of money.
Now i think since @bvddobb a Dutchman , beeing very well aware about the value of his Cali;) , so he will not take it over the limit.

We have written about it before on this forum.

We don't have a Cali to do off road trials. We have a Cali to travel. And in our travels, we do not want to be limited, or as little as possible, in the places we can go. That's why we have a 4Motion with the works.

And to learn what we can do, what our limits are, and build confidence and knowledge, we attend trainings such as these. Having an expensive piece of kit, we want to know how to handle it correctly and wisely.

Does that mean we will do Paris-Dakar with our Cali? No! Does it mean we go into Iceland's Highlands or across Morocco in our Cali? Hell, yes!

Would we have wanted to go to to the Costa Brava for four weeks, we would have bought a caravan and joined the Caravan Club...

Hello bvddobb,
You make a fair point.

It seems to me that our perceptions of the design capabilities of the California 4motion differ considerably. You are obviously much braver than I in where you would consider taking your vehicle. Where you obviously need to know just how far you can push the chassis and to find out where its limitations lie, I see the Cali as a road going leisure vehicle with very limited off road capability, at least in standard form. Accordingly I would never consider subjecting a Cali to such a regime. In fact, in relation to the Cali's design, I suspect that VW included the 4motion element more to aid road going traction rather than to give it any real off road capabilities. The Cali is heavy, it doesn't have good ground clearance and I doubt if taking it over that sort of terrain was ever part of the design brief. I therefore remain unconvinced.

Still unlike you I haven't had the training (well not in a Cali at least) and am never personally likely to test the 4motion or dif lock to the extreme on mine so good luck to you with your training and adventures.

These are just my views and I don't expect everyone to agree with them.

@Borris , think it's not the value of the verhicle that is the most important factor ,,but the needs of the one owning it.
We all drive expencive verhicles but all have diffrent goals.
How much you think a full spec. LR Defender is ....i owned one and did some minor offroad with mine . The things you see at events ....brand new +50.000€ LR Def , Disco and even Range Rovers thru mud and scrubbin against treebranches .
Gives me also shivers....but if they are ok with it it's theire choice.
Offcoarse " offroading " with a Cali is not to compare with this but we are talking the same amount of money.
Now i think since @bvddobb a Dutchman , beeing very well aware about the value of his Cali;) , so he will not take it over the limit.
Hello HC,
My point was really about the suitability of the vehicle for this kind of activity rather than its worth. At least a Land Rover Defender or a Range Rover were designed with this type of terrain and activity in mind. Of course, it is up to each owner to use their Cali's as they please and good luck to them but for me at least, I am still finding it difficult to understand why anyone would want to go seriously off road in a Cali. I am probably being far too precious but for someone who still gets wound up when the birds leave their calling cards on the shinny paintwork, the very thought of throwing our Cali into a muddy pond and charging up and down muddy banks fills my with horror.

Am I missing something here?

Having watched the video clip, clearly there are people who enjoy this and other events like it and each to their own. However, what I am unable to understand is why would anyone buy a very expensive camper van only to then try and trash it doing something that it wasn't designed to do?

Surely if you like this kind of off roading stuff then wouldn't it make better sense to get yourself a vehicle that was at least designed with that sort of thing in mind. Then go and join one of those clubs for people that enjoy spending their time getting stuck in mud and pulling each other out.

I have a nearly new 180SE dsg 4motion with a dif lock but would never consider driving through a pond and up and down steep slippery banks to reach a potential camp site for fear of wrecking it. However I might have to drive accross a slippery grassy campsite or on a snow, ice or mud covered road but that is about it.

Why?

Confused from Kent.

Why not?

Aside there are people who buy a very expensive camper van to have tikka massala chicken sandwiches in an camp site, bearing in mind a VW Transporter/California is not a proper off-road vehicle, it's suitable to do some... so if you like it, why not? with common sense it does not hurt.

I fully agree , I once followed a skid control course. It was not to learn drifting around corners but to better learn control my car ,know its limits and possibilities. The same applies for 4motion . From what I see in movies from the off road festival people are very cautious and not seeking to destroy their car.

By the way, the cali is a transporter, a transporter in all it forms is sold many times as a work vehicle to be used on construction sites etc, a bit of off-road skills using 4 motion is much appreciated.
I did not buy 4motion for offroad driving but because it makes it a safer car . There was a time when ABS was an (expensive) option too..

Last edited:
Back