Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2013 Cali differences

NickE

NickE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
There seems to be a large, 20miles old, sand beige, 180 bluemotion SE sitting in my driveway and an equally large hole in my finances!

I'm interested if the latest Calis have changed at all. And, as I haven't had one before I'm guessing here, but the changes I can see are minimal:

Windscreen and front side blinds.
These don't have the poles I expected. The sides attach with magnets, the windscreen bit loops over the sun visors.

Fuses
The manual says the fuses are under the driver's seat but actually they are all in the central console. I wonder when this changed.

12v sockets
There is one on the top of the dash under the windscreen. I don't know if this Is new?

Roof corrosion
I haven't looked yet!

If anybody has spotted any differences it would be nice to hear.

Nick

Does your Cali have a gasket about 3mm thick between the front aluminium and steel roof sections, beacause I understand Cali's made after March 2013 have this mod to combat corrosion?

I'll look. Where does the aluminium stop and the steel start?

Congratulations, Nick - hope you have loads of great advantures(!) together :thumb

Before the excitement wears off, would you mind posting some photos of those new things?

Funny how they keep playing with the window blinds- magnets sound interesting!

The 12V to the dash sounds much better!.

Are there any fuses under the passenger seat?

Best wishes,
Steve

SusiBus said:
Does your Cali have a gasket about 3mm thick between the front aluminium and steel roof sections, beacause I understand Cali's made after March 2013 have this mod to combat corrosion?
Is this gasket inserted when the bubbled paintwork is rectified on the models built prior to March 2013?

NickE

The ali part is the upper frame infront and around the rising lid (also ali), to check put a magnet on it.

History Bob

See my posting on POLL:Roof Paintwork Issues

coordinated said:
Congratulations, Nick - hope you have loads of great advantures(!) together

Before the excitement wears off, would you mind posting some photos of those new things?

The 12V to the dash sounds much better!.

Are there any fuses under the passenger seat?

Best wishes,
Steve

Thanks, yes it's very exciting and I'll post some photos soon. I've had a look under the passenger seat and the only thing there is the battery.

Also, despite stories of new 180 transporter vans being delivered without the bigger brakes this cali definitely has those lovely big discs!

SusiBus said:
The ali part is the upper frame infront and around the rising lid (also ali), to check put a magnet on it.
OK, I'll find myself a magnet and a torch!

Hi Nick,

I'm awaiting delivery of a Sand Beige 180 DSG 4-motion - it should be here about the beginning of June. Can't wait!

I'm interested in what else you find different in the 2013 model particularly the roof/body join. Good luck with the torch.

Cheers

FF

coordinated said:

I had a play with those in the van Comfortz Nick had hired from BMVS when I popped down to COTF on Sunday (sadly only in my Land rover). They seemed pretty good, little magnets sewn into the hem around the edges that hang onto the window frame. Just for the side windows only though. I didn't get to try the windscreen blind but I don't think it had magnets.

FF

Ok, reporting back. I've found the aluminium part and the steel part using a magnet. And yes, there does appear to be a black - rubber?- (it has a rubbery feel) layer between them.

Really interested to see that they have put a 12v on top of the dash. We have a 12 plate and have commented since having it what common sense it would be to have such an improvement to prevent the sat nav cable hanging all over the place ! Enjoy

FlyingFred

Sand Beige is the way to go! You're right, the windscreen blind does not use magnets. What does seem strange to me is that the blinds are not blackout. Given that all the pull-down blinds are blackout, you wonder why not.

Ramscali said:
Really interested to see that they have put a 12v on top of the dash. We have a 12 plate and have commented since having it what common sense it would be to have such an improvement to prevent the sat nav cable hanging all over the place ! Enjoy

I agree, or for a dashcam. That makes five 12v sockets in total.

Hi Nick, could you post a picture of this new 12V socket on the dashboard ? I'm struggling with the one I have that is stupidly put in the drawer...

Just lifted the roof on our jan delivered 140 SE as it stuck down and made a bang on its last opening and while silicon spraying the gasket seal round the outside i did notice the other gasket just after the aluminium part . It is not 3mm but around 12mm. Did not ake pictures as I have just come back in and read this. So would appear this is a pre march mod .

The gasket/rubber seal etc is visible at the front and would not require raising the roof to see it, so I think you’re looking at a different seal

frigorifix said:
Hi Nick, could you post a picture of this new 12V socket on the dashboard ? I'm struggling with the one I have that is stupidly put in the drawer...

I agree - I bought a genuine vw 12v socket rechargeable torch but it's too tall for the socket in the ashtray draw and all the other sockets stay live with the key out :headbang

frigorifix said:
Yes, I will, tomorrow hopefully. It's built in to the tray thing on top of the dash.

I've a new Cali with the magnet blinds and there great, seem easier than the stories I heard of these poles. They black out the light pretty well too.

Can't find the 12v on dash though? Just in the pullout ashtray.

That sounds good about the blinds. I've got the 12v socket in the ashtray as well as this new socket on the top.

I wonder if the 12v socket can be retrofitted as it would be really useful! Is it in the tray section on the dash?
Thanks,
--Nick

nickstjt said:
I wonder if the 12v socket can be retrofitted as it would be really useful! Is it in the tray section on the dash?
Thanks,
--Nick

I had a quick look in ETKA and they don't seem to sell just the 12v socket (n°2 on the picture). You have to buy the whole tray (148€). Plus, I've unscrewed mine and there is no hole to reach the wires from the 12v ashtray socket to connnect the new one...

cendrier.JPG

Attachments

• cendrier.JPG
    cendrier.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 1
Is this 12v socket new or part of the smokers package? I seem to remember thinking you got an extra one with this?

Agree though, extra one on top of the dash would be very useful.

James

Dashtop 12v socket:

[album]817[/album]

[album]816[/album]

And, as I said above, the 12v socket in the ashtray is still there.

Back