Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2010 Cali rear (hatch) window blind problem

John Iddles

John Iddles

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
The silver rear blind on the hatch's double glazed window was stuck in its fully extended position (ie would not retract). Initially it had deployed OK but was soaking wet and looked like it had been for some time as there were signs of corrosion along the aluminium handle strip. Then when we tried to encourage the blind to retract by gentle tugging upwards, the silvered material completely came away from its (hidden) roller inside the plastic hatch liner. How do I access the blind mechanism so we can fix this? I will also want to investigate why the blind was so wet and corroded. TIA

Some vans have had problems with the high level brake light leaking, others have had the tailgate seal not seating correctly.

Some vans have had problems with the high level brake light leaking, others have had the tailgate seal not seating correctly.
Yes thanks, I had to reseal the hi-level brake light a few years ago and we do have a solar panel feed cable that has to pass through the hatch seal so I will be investigating both again. However, my immediate problem is how to get to to the spring-loaded roller (to which the blind was attached) and see how to reattach it.

Yes thanks, I had to reseal the hi-level brake light a few years ago and we do have a solar panel feed cable that has to pass through the hatch seal so I will be investigating both again. However, my immediate problem is how to get to to the spring-loaded roller (to which the blind was attached) and see how to reattach it.
You have to remove the tailgate trim to get at the blind.

See here https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/vw/ALL/CAMP/661/8/867/867080

Screenshot_20240321_090807_Chrome~2.jpg