Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

17-inch chassis

Stu@rt

Stu@rt

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
To late to change my mind now, as hopefully my Coast is in build this week, but thought I ask for the wisdom of those better informed than me anyway.

We chose to leave our Coast order with the standard 16inch Claytons at the time or ordering, thinking that we might change at some later date and pick up some "delivery mileage" 2nd user offerings from the "Accessories for Sale" board on here as & when funds permitted.
So rightly, or wrongly we left the wheels as standard, spending extra cash on the options that couldn't be changed so easily later.

Only recently did I realise that the configurator mentioned the "17-inch Chassis option", which I assume is the bigger disc and caliper that the 16's wouldn't fit over.

So I guess my question is 2-fold. Are there any considerations in changing to a 17inch wheel at a later date?
What other implications have I left myself with by sticking with the 16's?
i.e Have I left myself with payload implications at all, considering that we will have the smaller disc/caliper's ?

Thanks in advance.

To late to change my mind now, as hopefully my Coast is in build this week, but thought I ask for the wisdom of those better informed than me anyway.

We chose to leave our Coast order with the standard 16inch Claytons at the time or ordering, thinking that we might change at some later date and pick up some "delivery mileage" 2nd user offerings from the "Accessories for Sale" board on here as & when funds permitted.
So rightly, or wrongly we left the wheels as standard, spending extra cash on the options that couldn't be changed so easily later.

Only recently did I realise that the configurator mentioned the "17-inch Chassis option", which I assume is the bigger disc and caliper that the 16's wouldn't fit over.

So I guess my question is 2-fold. Are there any considerations in changing to a 17inch wheel at a later date?
What other implications have I left myself with by sticking with the 16's?
i.e Have I left myself with payload implications at all, considering that we will have the smaller disc/caliper's ?

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn’t worry. You can change to a larger wheel size later with no issues ( but had you selected the larger discs then the smallest rim you could fit is 17” ). Standard brakes are fine as they designed for a fully laden commercial vehicle. Larger discs, callipers, wheels & tyres will actually reduce your payload as you are adding more weight to the van.

I specd the 17” wheels and tried to add the 17” chassis later as it wasn’t on the configurator when I ordered. Was not on my dealers system at any point and on him checking with vw the response was it was a mistake and should not be on the public configurator either. But then they don’t seem to have removed it since and that was the start of March I asked. As I understand it the big brakes are no longer required for the payload increase from 3000 to 3080kg. As @Ch1pbutty pointed out they will actually be detrimental as will weigh more!

I know this is a mute point but since the rde2 changes u can have the increased payload without the option. The payload option itself is ‘seating preparation for 5’. Which can be ticked without the extra rail or seat as well which also make little sense since u only have 4 seats then. I added it but tbh now not actually sure how useful the extra 80kg is anyway as it doesn’t actually increase the rear axle weight which is probably where most folk are likely to overload with the boot, heavy bike racks etc. In reality the coast saves a bit of weight without the electric roof, glazing other options so has more margin on the rear axle anyway. Anyway in my opinion you’ve missed out on nothing important other than a longer wait if my order is anything to go by!

I specd the 17” wheels and tried to add the 17” chassis later as it wasn’t on the configurator when I ordered. Was not on my dealers system at any point and on him checking with vw the response was it was a mistake and should not be on the public configurator either. But then they don’t seem to have removed it since and that was the start of March I asked. As I understand it the big brakes are no longer required for the payload increase from 3000 to 3080kg. As @Ch1pbutty pointed out they will actually be detrimental as will weigh more!

I know this is a mute point but since the rde2 changes u can have the increased payload without the option. The payload option itself is ‘seating preparation for 5’. Which can be ticked without the extra rail or seat as well which also make little sense since u only have 4 seats then. I added it but tbh now not actually sure how useful the extra 80kg is anyway as it doesn’t actually increase the rear axle weight which is probably where most folk are likely to overload with the boot, heavy bike racks etc. In reality the coast saves a bit of weight without the electric roof, glazing other options so has more margin on the rear axle anyway. Anyway in my opinion you’ve missed out on nothing important other than a longer wait if my order is anything to go by!
Thanks so much for taking the time for your detailed reply. That's really reassuring too. I was convinced it couldn't have been there when we ordered. All I remember was the additional options for the 5th seat that you mentioned. My wife will be please too, as I have mentioned it several times since I stumbled across it on Friday! I even re watched the Cali Chris video on Coast options and there was no mention of it on there either.
Why, may you ask, was I even back on the configurator 6 months after ordering? Just to see if the extra sliding opener was still a cost option, as a few had mentioned they had received it without specc'ing it!
All this waiting around, means you spend far too much time on here. Of course that means that you are learning loads in preparation for eventual delivery, but every now and the then some paranoia creeps in and you start to beat yourself up about choices you made last November!
Hope your wait is coming to an end too.
Thanks again

Thanks so much for taking the time for your detailed reply. That's really reassuring too. I was convinced it couldn't have been there when we ordered. All I remember was the additional options for the 5th seat that you mentioned. My wife will be please too, as I have mentioned it several times since I stumbled across it on Friday! I even re watched the Cali Chris video on Coast options and there was no mention of it on there either.
Why, may you ask, was I even back on the configurator 6 months after ordering? Just to see if the extra sliding opener was still a cost option, as a few had mentioned they had received it without specc'ing it!
All this waiting around, means you spend far too much time on here. Of course that means that you are learning loads in preparation for eventual delivery, but every now and the then some paranoia creeps in and you start to beat yourself up about choices you made last November!
Hope your wait is coming to an end too.
Thanks again
No problem lets hope these week 20 build come flying off the production line :)

Funny you mention the sliding window as that was exactly the reason I kept an eye on the configurator over the months. I originally spec'd it and a few weeks later (end of Nov I think) the cost had been reduced from £222 to £114 on the configurator and it also included a fly screen. Needless to say I changed my order at this point to the £114 option but maybe this was just for the second fly screen who knows.

Not 100% but the 17" Chassis normally applies to the more powerful 199-204 spec engine where the the bigger front discs are standard fit.
From that I think that the Configurator merely 'shows' if it is standard fit or not. ie not an option but an indication of what it has fitted.

About to order Coast with 17" Devonport alloys .. 17 in chassis still NCO

Back