Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

140ps or 180ps

Re DSG. 140 or 180
I have been driving sinse 1976, I had never driven an automatic. When deciding on spec our van ticked all the boxes but was auto. But we went for it totally happy with the DSG automatic box.
Regardles of type of gearbox once you are up and running do you need to look at the lever to know what gear box, and if not sure youur heads up display in the centre tells you. Never had an issue with putting it into natural you just get to know where which position you are in ie if in sport 1 notch forward into drive, if in drive one notch back into sport, you dont need to look.
I reckon it took 48hours to stop putting the wife into the windscreen when hitting the break inspead of putting the non existing clutch down.

I not had an issue with lag when pulling away.

I cant comment on 140 but I have always tried to purchase the largest engine output avalible ie 1400cc or 16000cc would go for 16.

MPG between 140 and 180 in the scheme of things well I get less than a 140 did not put me off having a 180

So test drive all make up your own mind it the end

My experience of both 140 and 180 engines is that mpg is virtually the same.

KernowLad said:
spanner said:
KernowLad said:
I have been running a DSG box Caravelle for a week and find the gearbox hateful beyond words.

It must have a faulty gearbox, i have nothing but praise for the dsg compared to manual. Maybe you dont know how to use it?

Thanks for the patronisation but I know exactly how to use it having had it for a week. It's not broken; its done 1300 miles.

How about considering that some might not like it rather than resort to thinly veiled insults?

It hesitates pulling away

On our hilly roads it constantly selects the wrong gear; too high while pootling through our village, then changes up when I'm going up a steep hill.
The selector writing is hidden by the gearstick. I can't believe how poor that is.
It's too easy to slip past D into N.
Yep, on a long cruise where the box doesn't do much "work" it's fine and in stop start traffic it's okay but throw it any challenges and its just feels like a 20 year old automatic.

It's genuinely one of the worst boxes I've ever used, second only to the full auto I experienced in a VW Up.

The DSG box in the VW CC we also had for a week (guess who's Cali keeps breaking?) was better but still annoying.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

Pollychops said:

Cryptic yet patronising again - well done.

Care to add your positive experiences of your DSG box rather than just going on the attack?

I spoke to another chap who recently got the same vehicle (Caravelle Executive) but his is a 180 - he found similar issues with his box. It's perfectly okay but it does annoy him too.

I do find it odd how defensive people are of the DSG box yet "defend" a manual and "you can\t drive."

Very strange.

KernowLad said:
Pollychops said:

Cryptic yet patronising again - well done.

Care to add your positive experiences of your DSG box rather than just going on the attack?

I spoke to another chap who recently got the same vehicle (Caravelle Executive) but his is a 180 - he found similar issues with his box. It's perfectly okay but it does annoy him too.

I do find it odd how defensive people are of the DSG box yet "defend" a manual and "you can\t drive."

Very strange.

Cryptic? Not really, patronising? Certainly not.
If you have a look at my post you will see it is my experience of the DSG. It's not defensive and not going on the attack. With regards to manual I have no issues with that as its down
to choice at the end of the day. Having driven both I prefer to choose the DSG and there's nothing wrong with it.

But do you know what the phrase you used actually means?

Because it doesn't make any sense in the context of this discussion.

Another observation - yes this Caravelle now only has 1900 miles on it but on local roads the mpg is just SHOCKING. Our Cali is bad but this is worse - constantly filling the darn thing up. So does the DSG box also give a nasty hit on mpg too?! Considering this is a 140 and FWD AND a Caravelle (so a fair bit lighter), I was expecting mpg to be a fair bit better - it's sub 20mpg around our Cornish (hilly) lanes.

We have the 180 DSG and are thrilled with it. However, we do find that when set in drive mode it labours a bit on winding country roads with inclines, at around 40-45mph it will want to sit in 7th gear. We had a volvo xc70 auto before and never had to think about the gears, it was always spot on, even towing the caravan it mostly got it right.
We now tend to flick it into the 's' mode in those driving conditions and find that's much better. All things considered, we would still choose the 180DSG over any of the others if buying again. On the whole, it's a joy to drive.

KernowLad said:
But do you know what the phrase you used actually means?

Because it doesn't make any sense in the context of this discussion.

Another observation - yes this Caravelle now only has 1900 miles on it but on local roads the mpg is just SHOCKING. Our Cali is bad but this is worse - constantly filling the darn thing up. So does the DSG box also give a nasty hit on mpg too?! Considering this is a 140 and FWD AND a Caravelle (so a fair bit lighter), I was expecting mpg to be a fair bit better - it's sub 20mpg around our Cornish (hilly) lanes.

Absolutely, that's why I posted it, have a look at some of your posts and you may work it out. It's nothing personal just an observation.
With regards to MPG we drive a 180 mile round trip every weekend to our bolthole and it's a combination with motorway, A roads and the last 10 miles on B roads. The OBC gives us 37 however when filling up and calculating it the old way it comes out at 34.5 so the 180 DSG is good for us.

Looking back at Kernows posts he seems like one of those people that come up to you and say the Cali is crap camper and my T5 home coversion i built myself is so much better.

I think deep down in his heart he wants a DSG but would never ever admit it.

We also live in an area with very narrow lanes and hills and the DSG is awsome for this, why would I want to waste my time changing gear when it can be done automatically?

I hired a 140 for a bit, was nice enough,

I bought a 180 DSG. Average MPG from new has been around 33, coming home from France last week averaged 35, mostly high speed motorway cruising (70-75mph).

I cannot speak for a 140 but the 180 is effortless. Plonk it in gear, pop the cruise control on, aim it and let it do all the work which it does quietly, without any fuss or bother and with quite a nice comfortable seating position.

I hear all about the extra complexity but mine is new, under warranty, have an excellent dealership (SMG) near me so not really bothered now, may be in 2 years time but I will worry about it then, not now.

For me its a heavy vehicle that I intend doing a lot of long distance cruising in so the more horsepower the better.

Calihunter said:
I was wondering if anyone could advise me how the earlier 174 bhp engine performs in comparison to these later engines? I have heard the 5 pot engine described as bullet proof but was more interested in fuel economy and it's ability to get up and go?

I had a Caravelle 174 Auto for six weeks a couple of years back and I struggled on my daily commute to get much over 20mpg out of it. My 180 DSG on the same commute is in the low 30s.

spanner said:
Looking back at Kernows posts he seems like one of those people that come up to you and say the Cali is crap camper and my T5 home coversion i built myself is so much better.

We also live in an area with very narrow lanes and hills and the DSG is awsome for this, why would I want to waste my time changing gear when it can be done automatically?

Eh? How does not liking DSG bring you to that "conclusion?"
I just don't like it - at all.
Wasted time changing gear? How about all that time wasted pressing the throttle and steering too? Changing gear is part of driving.
In my car, the auto does a better job than I can. I this van, I can do a far better job than a DSG box can. So manual suits us way more.

I think we have most options in ours but DSG is one I'm really glad we don't have - in fact if we had no choice (4motions are thin on the ground) and HAD to have DSG, I'd now have sold it, without question.

And if a car that was otherwise ideal for our needs only came with DSG, I wouldn't buy it. I'm sure many of you feel the opposite but at least we have the choice.

When a car or van comes out with only an auto option, I think it's a great shame.

david white said:
Let the public decide, I think you enjoyed this poll last time Kernowlad

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8099

What will it decide?
It won't "decide" that some might not like DSG. It won't "decide" that it's better or worse. It'll just show what people have chosen.

And with most Cali owners being more senior, I guess the exhausting workout that is changing gear, is bound to be less popular. :thumb

I have just voted for DSG as I prefer it but I have a manual and wish I had a DSG. I am not senior and take offence to that comment unless 39 is now classed as old? :eek:

Fryers! said:
I have just voted for DSG as I prefer it but I have a manual and wish I had a DSG. I am not senior and take offence to that comment unless 39 is now classed as old? :eek:

I said most. And I'm 39 too :thumb Although some days, that feels plenty old enough. :cry:

You have to admit though, Calis are generally driven by older drivers?

Another poll for age then?

I'm with kernowlad there is nothing better than changing gear yourself :thumb
I voted slow gutless 140 manual :thumb

Two polls for age?

I think there was one a while back - possibly?

Kev - good man! I thought I had managed to isolate myself yet again… :oops: :lol:

Calikev said:
I'm with kernowlad there is nothing better than changing gear yourself :thumb
I voted slow gutless 140 manual :thumb
That's only because you refuse to give in to your old age kev!
You probably should have a dsg by now lol.

:laugh2 you know what they say your only as young as the woman you feel in my case
43 :thumb I bought mine because I couldn't wait, more than happy to change gear :thumb

KernowLad said:
spanner said:

Eh? How does not liking DSG bring you to that "conclusion?"
I just don't like it - at all.
Wasted time changing gear? How about all that time wasted pressing the throttle and steering too? Changing gear is part of driving.
In my car, the auto does a better job than I can. I this van, I can do a far better job than a DSG box can. So manual suits us way more.

You have to adapt your driving style to the California 180 DSG and when you do it's a hugely rewarding drive and that's from someone who drives a manual m135i .All your comments are based on driving a Caravelle 140 DSG ,passat and a VW up,but if you actually drove the 180 DSG you would appreciate that it's afine vehicle in its own right maybe not for you but nothing wrong with it . I accept that your car is an auto and your camper a manual that's a good combo but for me and my type of my driving I prefer it the other way round at the moment.