Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12v Kettle???

B

bournemouthbeach

VIP Member
Morning All

Have looked on here but couldn't find anything....

Is there such a thing as a good 12v Kettle? Yes we can use one on gas burner outside but would just like to be able to have a brew first thing without having to get out of the van.... :D

Cheers

Shaun

Sorry just read the reviews not so good :headbang

Hi Shaun,

12v kettles are a very big compromise.

Remember mains kettles tend to be around 2000w best you are likely to get with a 12v is between 120w and 200w and as such will take 10 times a long to boil.

I have tried one, and to be honest to heat a mug of water took well over 20 mins.

I wouldn't bother.

To be honest in the Multivan (When I'm not in the Cali) is use a cartridge stove and a collapsible kettle. (Windows or door open of course)

Or small electric kettle when hook up available.

M

If its only for a hot drink a lot of people recommend Jetboil's I've not got or tried one myself but the reviews are great and you can boil two mugs of water in 2mins :clap they are dear thou.. but then so are VW Californias :lol:

Cheapest I found:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jetboil-Flash ... RTM1489587

I personally use a Sunncamp Uno as per:-

http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/sunncam ... o_s=gplauk

It is tiny and uses gas cans you can get anywhere. We have a Wacky Practical's kettle and a small hi gear cookset. Had plenty of good cooked breakfasts on it ;) and it all fits in the trays under the three seat bench seat

I inherited a 12v kettle from my dad and threw it away as it was tiny and took ages. If you look on eBay you will find them from time to time for next to nothing

We put boiling water in a flask and fill it to the top just before we go to bed. You could either use this, or heat it up in the morning to take it from very hot to boiling. Boiling water that is already hot will save much time if you are using a low power device

I bought an MSR Reactor stove last year - similar setup to the Jetboil.

It is staggeringly good at boiling water.

Pros
It boils 1l in 3 mins.
It's practically weather proof - still takes about 3 mins in high wind (not so important in a van)
It runs at very low gas pressure so is the first gas stove I've had that completely empties the cartridges.
It's very clean and easy to use.

Cons
It's expensive
It's only really good for boiling water - you wouldn't use it to fry bacon.
You'd need to keep the van well ventilated for the 3 mins boiling time to avoid CO buildup of course.

I've never really thought about it (I've got a Beach) - how do the full fat Calis deal with CO and water vapour from the gas rings inside the van? Are there vents by the stove?

If your still looking for a 12volt kettle try a 'Big Blue Kettle' most truck stops sell them I've got a 'Big Red Kettle' 24volt had it for years and it hasn't let me down yet, the only thing I've done was change the flex and socket to a 'hella plug' as they don't tend melt as quickly. I think you may be able to get one at Welcome Break service area probably in the forecourt area :cool

Alasdair

Back