Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

114ps or 140ps Beach?

W

Wingman09

VIP Member
Looking to purchase next month, seen a 114ps beach for sale just a little concerned it may be underpowered with 3 children and camping kit on board. Also concerned about lack of 6th gear. Are there any 114ps owners who can comment, or anyone who has test driven both.

I chose the 114 from new because at the time it was the only bluemotion option, and came with loads of standard equipment.

It is not quick by any stretch, but very acceptable to me.

Although it is the lowest powered California option, VW do transporters with significantly less power, which I am sure are fit for purpose.

Some might say I am biased, but genuinely coming from a BMW Coupe previously, it provides a comfortable and relaxed driving experience, even fully loaded with kids, bikes, and a fortnights worth of camping gear.

I have driven the 140 version too... It is quicker, but not significantly, but perhaps nice to have the extra gear.

Remember the beach is not as heavy as the SE - you are not lugging around wardrobes, fridges, water tanks...

Before purchasing my SE - I hired a converted 86BHP T5 which was absolutely fine - not fast but fine.

Remember the low spec white T5 are 2nd the fastest vehicles on the road (beaten only by the White Low Spec Transit van!!!)

Thanks for your comments. We are also looking to use it in Europe/Alps, does the 114 cruise nicely at 70 in 5th? And in your opinion does it deal with hills ok?

I think the simple answer is, yes the 114 Beach fully laden will push 80mph on the motorway with ease, and get over the mountains, but if you want more power and a closer ratio on your gears with the 6 speed box, go big and get the larger engine.

It isn't essential, but some might prefer it.

I have to agree with James. We took our 114 Beach to Germany and it kept up fine at 70 to 75mph with 4 bikes on the back and a carrier on the towbar plus three kids and camping stuff. I think 140 is better if you are going up mountains and don't want to hang around, but honestly your kids will probably feel car sick at that speed! I have not been disappointed with the Beach's performance, you just have to think ahead and read the road better when joining motorways if it is busy. We only use our Beach for weekends and holidays so the price for extra performance was not worth it. Whichever you choose will be fine I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back