Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

World premiere of the all new Volkswagen California

Correct. No induction either. Missed opportunity.
Well it's only logical that they dropped the Induction hob (It was only shown in the concept "for show" in the 1st place)... You would either need EHU or a generator or a VERY large battery and transformer to use it... Things that would conflict with all these nice promotional pictures of the new California parked on wide-open sandy beaches all on their own... :)

For me, the option for AWD and hybrid powertrain is a real attraction - especially if was to be my only vehicle. Sadly, I’m very disappointed with the interior layout - storage mainly. I prefer my T6 rear bench seat to chill out on and when I do sleep downstairs, the T6 bed looks much easier to set up than on the new one. I liked the fact that the awning can be removed easily when not needed. Perhaps it can be swapped to the other side too? Front seats seam to rotate more easily but the front screen blind - not good.

That makes sense as a 40Ah LiFeP04 offers similar real world capacity as the standard AGM battery fitted in current Cali’s. What doesn’t make much sense is offering two 40Ah batteries vs a single 100Ah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It makes sense to VW decision makers because they are adding camping elements to an existing base vehicle.
The second battery already exists in the base vehicle when you get the auxiliary heater to avoid the risk of running down your main battery when the motor isn't running. Why would you add unnecessary complexity? The battery technology for the second battery is going to be AGM, the same as the main battery.
Now add the camping features. It's more cost effective to simply add a third battery for the camper as part of the EHU package and not fiddle with the base vehicle options.

It makes sense to VW decision makers because they are adding camping elements to an existing base vehicle.
The second battery already exists in the base vehicle when you get the auxiliary heater to avoid the risk of running down your main battery when the motor isn't running. Why would you add unnecessary complexity? The battery technology for the second battery is going to be AGM, the same as the main battery.
Now add the camping features. It's more cost effective to simply add a third battery for the camper as part of the EHU package and not fiddle with the base vehicle options.

I didn’t realise there was a second battery option for the base multi van. It makes more sense on that basis, certainly for the bean counters.

They have ended up with a vehicle that is significantly less versatile than its predecessor, they will effectively need to find an almost new market for it which I’m sure they will have done their homework for. The reaction to it online from non Cali owners is very different from owners!

This is a detailed video of the ocean model. In German with English subtitles.

Looked at
its a good start for VW remember the t6.1 has had decades of refinements. I would not get this new van on account of the poor seats and silly beds, they are stuck wit the multi van seats and need to develop some special ones like the t6.1 has. The hard cove looks very uncomfortable knowing how bad vw mattress are, and the 3 seat beach you need to remove the chair to make the bed! Finally the beach kitchen is dreadful taken from the caddy, no good for the uk as you can only use outside. The ocean is better but there’s no food or plate or pan storage.…..as I said good start, but the t7.1 is when to think about it, in 4/5 years time. The only people that will buy these are the new vw cali people. The rest of us will hold on to our t6.1 and earlier
Quite a faff to put the bed down, that's without moving all the clutter out of the way. And he says the max seats is 6? Why would that be? You'd think in that config it would be 8 with another of the old Touran style seats? I'm not really buying this.

Not all change is progress. New drive trains, "more" up-to-date technology sounds positive. But the smaller interior would be a real problem for me. If the new Hybrid 4WD will tow 2 tonnes, then on an ability front alone, it may be interesting, but the T6.1 4Motion does everything for me and I wouldn't change just for the sake of having the latest (smaller) model.

When the time comes to change - many years away, I think, then I will evaluate the new Cali with other options. (VW Cali , Professional converter, etc).

For converters, I would assume that they would be more interested in the new Transporter (still called a T7 ?).

Twin sliders are great.

Rear spoiler means no tailgate bike rack. So prevents combined use of towbar mounted MFT back box + tailgate bike carrier.

Hybrid good idea, shame no full EV option.

Last edited:
Looking at the video, the only thing I would like is the electronic brake like I had in my Golf 7.5. I liked the shelving in the place of the hanging wardrobe, but it gave me a great idea for my 6.1 Ocean. Pack clothes away in pack-it cubes (theres a range of brands), get some double ended hooks and then hang the pack-it cubes on the hooks - easy to see what clothes are where. And still space at the bottom for bulky, nit often used stuff

Don't really get the twin sliding doors being a positive. Looks like you lose loads of kitchen cupboard space and the hob is down to a single burner. No good for a family. Maybe work for a single traveller.

Twin sliders work well with families / outdoor sports, as give you a bit more space to move around in.

- cook outside, easy fridge access, beer serving hatch.
- let passengers in/out on the non traffic side of the van.
- Create a huge external space; van in the centre, awning tent one side / roller awning on the other.
- easier to access when you have more than one person changing in/out of wetsuits in the winter.
- solves issue of having to buy a R/L hand sided awning. keeps the caravan club wardens happy as you can park your cali the ‘correct’ way.
- more floor space for muddy boots etc

It will be a No-Go for us, the T7 Cali based on the MV. It is simply because it is not a campervan successor to the T6 series. Too much fuss (cooking), too little storage, too much reliance on electronics (and subsequent updates I gather). And most of all too much euro's for what you are getting, and where is the stand-heater??? We are only looking for a replacement of the T6 when (more) strict dieselban regulations (initiated by the car manufacturers themselves) are forced upon us...so still some time left.
It would be real real durable solution if VW (or others) could/would supply us with a solution to reconfigure our diesel driven Cali's (some 200.000) to something hybrid...that would be a real breakthrough (is VW listening?)but the manufacturer will not do that, easier money to make with a new (and more expensive) model...

For me, the option for AWD and hybrid powertrain is a real attraction - especially if was to be my only vehicle. Sadly, I’m very disappointed with the interior layout - storage mainly. I prefer my T6 rear bench seat to chill out on and when I do sleep downstairs, the T6 bed looks much easier to set up than on the new one. I liked the fact that the awning can be removed easily when not needed. Perhaps it can be swapped to the other side too? Front seats seam to rotate more easily but the front screen blind - not good.
Vw knicked that design for the front blind from project camper. Almost a direct copy. Personally speaking it’s a brilliant bit of kit. Only used the awful vw blind once. The project camper blind is so much better in every respect.

Quite a faff to put the bed down, that's without moving all the clutter out of the way. And he says the max seats is 6? Why would that be? You'd think in that config it would be 8 with another of the old Touran style seats? I'm not really buying this.
The more I think about this bizarre bed ritual in the Beach the less it makes sense. In the Ocean it seems that there are two of these removable seats that both have the backrests fully forward to accommodate the bed, why not have three of them in the Beach? I'm sure there must be a reason, but it seems crazy. And the limit of 6 seats? How? You can clearly get three across the interior, do they not go far enough back because of the 'permanent' rear kitchen? Why on earth would you only be able to get one more in addition to the driver/passenger and three across the back? Seems crazy.

Re the double sliders, I can't deny, especially with kids, that there haven't been times I wished it was on the other side in the UK, but that's it. Having one side that is permanently closed off is actually good as far as I'm concerned, we use that side for a removable kitchen unit, hang up clothes, etc, etc. So it's a 'nice to have' but not a game changer for me.

I didn’t realise there was a second battery option for the base multi van. It makes more sense on that basis, certainly for the bean counters.

They have ended up with a vehicle that is significantly less versatile than its predecessor, they will effectively need to find an almost new market for it which I’m sure they will have done their homework for. The reaction to it online from non Cali owners is very different from owners!

The press and marketing seems reasonably effective. The Top Gear review claims it's 'longer and wider than it's predecessor' and based on a LWB. This might technically be true and if you don't know any better would probably sound appealing.

60mpg + in a Hybrid
120ish + in a Plug in Hybrid
All depends on the vehicle, weight and how it is driven.
My EV Buzz was lucky to get 170 miles on a full charge in cold weather but 220+ in warmer weather
So what category does a BMW i3 with a range extender fall into?

The press and marketing seems reasonably effective. The Top Gear review claims it's 'longer and wider than it's predecessor' and based on a LWB. This might technically be true and if you don't know any better would probably sound appealing.
Exactly what I said to Jonny on IG

Ah. The outdoor table stored in the boot can in fact also be used as the indoor dining table:

So it’s not as silly as it looked in the first videos. You don’t just get a tiny indoor table. There a tiny indoor table + an indoor/outdoor full-side table.

Ah. The outdoor table stored in the boot can in fact also be used as the indoor dining table:

So it’s not as silly as it looked in the first videos. You don’t just get a tiny indoor table. There a tiny indoor table + an indoor/outdoor full-side table.
Thought everybody knew that. The T6.1’s outdoor table can also be used inside.

With three legs that take up all the floor space so you cant even move around once it's in.

Thought everybody knew that. The T6.1’s outdoor table can also be used inside.
What I mean is that it’s *designed* to be used as the indoor table. It’s designed to slide into the table rail. And it has 4 legs for use outdoors when it’s a standalone table. And a 5th leg for use indoors when the other side of the table is held by the rail.

With three legs that take up all the floor space so you cant even move around once it's in.
Nope. When used as a standalone table outdoors, you use the 4 legs just like with the outdoor table on the T6. And when used as the indoor table, you only use the central leg just like the indoor table on the T6. Works in the same way as the T6 tables. But one table serving two purposes.

What I mean is that it’s *designed* to be used as the indoor table. It’s designed to slide into the table rail. And it has 4 legs for use outdoors when it’s a standalone table. And a 5th leg for use indoors when the other side of the table is held by the rail.
Well I’d like to see how that works. The kitchen unit is really short.

Back